bad rust on the frame - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM

280 miles on the clock and my 2018 ATAS has just gone back to have flaking paint repairs (frame) and re spray on the rear grab rails (rust on welds) engine castings are very rough which has been addressed with Honda but they don’t intend to rectify. The bike is beautiful but I am very disappointed with the finishing. Never seen any Honda this bad. I’m glad I’m not having to use as my daily ride as I would be fearful of nothing left after the winter salt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB8B7A8C-D9C9-43D9-86EE-D897F113801D_1551392723641.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	47451   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E6E4D7D-4F81-4716-8783-30D723346153_1551392767895.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	47453  

Last edited by Coldstream69; 02-28-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:55 PM

I have lots of rust spots on my ATAS after 2k miles of California riding. I'm very surprised at Honda having owned a number of them in the past with no such issues.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Looking to buy a 2019 AT, have they finally addressed the weld/rust issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:21 AM

I think - if I were considering purchasing a new bike now, id be less worried about if they had fixed this one issues... and more about the fact that, whatever issues you might find, they just don't want to stand by their product and sort it out for the current owner!

You purchase - you take on that risk
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haket View Post
I have lots of rust spots on my ATAS after 2k miles of California riding. I'm very surprised at Honda having owned a number of them in the past with no such issues.
How's that? It never rains over there.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:27 AM

I had to remove my petrol tank this week. the underside of the tank was rusty - bad!

In 25 years of riding bikes, I've never had this.

god knows what they are doing when they paint these bikes!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
.... but not where I expected it.
I knew there were some orangey bits at the front base of the frame. Shoulda fitted a fenda extenda. Anyway I decided simply to clean these down and overpaint them with hammered black hammerite - which is a reasonable match for the sparkly graphite frame. Then I went round with an artist's brush doing all the seams of the welds where they looked a bit orange. I expected to find loads but was pleasantly surprised at how little I had to touch up considering I've done 23k miles much of it through a UK winter.
BUT - I then had a look up high with a torch under the front fairing where the radiators bolt on and it was bad. Lots of flaking paint and big areas of rust. I didn't expect this and since its under warranty I could have probably got a new frame. But hey what the heck. I just used a stipple brush and put plenty of hammerite on it. If the dealer knocks points off when I trade in, I will be annoyed.
Sorry no pics - just wanted to get on with it.
Mike
I told someone I wanted to put fenda extenda's on mine and they thought I was nuts. I ride in the rain and whatever - and some of the stuff that splashes up really does a number on the finish. I changed my oil the other night and realized my cases are starting to discolor from stuff that is splashing onto them. I wiped some grime from around the filler cap and it didn't look much better. With a lot of scrubbing I made it hard to notice - but it got me interested in the fenda extenda's again. They won't help with the stain and patch of fur I found on the bottom of my skidplate. I think it belonged to a squirrel...
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 PM

I had a 17 AT and then traded it for a 18 ATAS. I think the basic bike is very pretty, however, the fit, finish, and build quality are terrible, especially for their flagship adventure bike. Add to that poor customer service and response. My frame welds are terrible. Will soon be inspecting my fuel tank and fuel pump for crud, and the forks for premature wear. I am very careful treating my rims and spokes. Honda, you really made it a difficult job to change the air cleaners. I admit that the engine and DCT have been pretty good. This bike is getting close to BMW GS pricing (I think BMW still offers a 3 year warranty rather than the one year from Honda).

It was not long ago when Honda Motorcycles were known for quality and value. I currently do not consider Honda Motorcycles to be built with quality and value, but rather built for a price. I will enjoy and take care of my ATAS, but do not plan on purchasing any more Honda motorcycles and automobiles.

Jon
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
I told someone I wanted to put fenda extenda's on mine and they thought I was nuts. I ride in the rain and whatever - and some of the stuff that splashes up really does a number on the finish. I changed my oil the other night and realized my cases are starting to discolor from stuff that is splashing onto them. I wiped some grime from around the filler cap and it didn't look much better. With a lot of scrubbing I made it hard to notice - but it got me interested in the fenda extenda's again. They won't help with the stain and patch of fur I found on the bottom of my skidplate. I think it belonged to a squirrel...
The auction site lists a carbon fibre fenda extenda for the Africa Twin. It's made in Spain and is superb quality. I didn't have one fitted to my 17 bike but have fitted it to the 18 and it looks great and does the job. I use sikaflex 291 to fit them (it'a a marine sealant adhesive). I tried the adhesive pads that come with it but the extenda came loose in a UK winter (different bike), and that can be dangerous as it could get rammed up inside the mudguard at speed.
Mike
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
Looking to buy a 2019 AT, have they finally addressed the weld/rust issues?

I hope so as you bought one, dont pick up to next month though

Enjoy an Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page