bad rust on the frame - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

bad rust on the frame

.... but not where I expected it.
I knew there were some orangey bits at the front base of the frame. Shoulda fitted a fenda extenda. Anyway I decided simply to clean these down and overpaint them with hammered black hammerite - which is a reasonable match for the sparkly graphite frame. Then I went round with an artist's brush doing all the seams of the welds where they looked a bit orange. I expected to find loads but was pleasantly surprised at how little I had to touch up considering I've done 23k miles much of it through a UK winter.
BUT - I then had a look up high with a torch under the front fairing where the radiators bolt on and it was bad. Lots of flaking paint and big areas of rust. I didn't expect this and since its under warranty I could have probably got a new frame. But hey what the heck. I just used a stipple brush and put plenty of hammerite on it. If the dealer knocks points off when I trade in, I will be annoyed.
Sorry no pics - just wanted to get on with it.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:07 PM

The finish on these bikes is bloody disappointing I think, combined with the ongoing spokes debacle, (3rd set wheels going on my 2016 this week) the state of all the fittings mounting bolts etc is poor, I mean, these bikes are supposed to be “adventure”. Bikes......just don’t take them out in the cold and wet 😡
Still makes me smile and looks great ...... from a distance !
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM

had rust on the welds on my frame in less than 5000 miles, very poor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:24 AM

I've worn the paint off the frame with my boots. Doesn't rust if you keep riding
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
I've worn the paint off the frame with my boots. Doesn't rust if you keep riding
outrunning the rust. that's a new idea.

I said a couple of years ago that Honda in the UK were pitching the bike price too high, and not where Honda intended it to be. All the launch material had it several thousand pounds BELOW the price of equivalent BMWs and KTMs - maybe Honda didn't even intend to be competing with those bikes. And if instead they were producing something that competed with the Tracer900 and Tiger 800 then they had to make economies somewhere. For the life of me though I cannot see how painting the frame properly, and doing likewise with all the little brackets and using stainless bolts and banjos, would add much to the cost. Of course Honda UK then confused the issue by pitching it at the same price level as a GS (or almost)
Mike
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 AM

I have 20k miles and I also have a lot of rust on my frame.... all up and down the front. I absolutely love my bike! It is quite reliable mechanically, but the fit and finish is absolutely disappointing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Is it salty environment? Most of you live near coastal places.

Knock on wood... but I haven't had any rust showing here. In spring, after the salted roads of our long winter season, I tend to wash the bike a lot to ensure that the road grime and salt mixture doesn't have time to corrode anything.

Two other bikes I have ridden to San Francisco to beachfront vacation properties (not mine, rented) and they have literally shown signs of rusting overnight from the briny air.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 AM

Clean it with 3m pad, prime n paint touchup.normal preventative maintainence.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokesman View Post
Clean it with 3m pad, prime n paint touchup.normal preventative maintainence.
I am taking that view. However, it would be very difficult to do proper prep work without stripping off lots of bits of the bike. The supposed beauty of hammerite is that little prep is needed, and I sort of have the feeling that the resulting coating may be more flexible and chip resistant than primer and ordinary paint. If I was a more careful painter it could have looked much neater, but it's tucked out of the way so it will do.
Mike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Firstly have to say I love the At, bought new in 2016 and covered about 16,000miles. However the bike finish is no where near as good on previous Honda's I have had.
Here is a list of things to date:
*ECU replaced - bike lost drive would not select gears.
*Set switch sticking
* Rusty spokes and wheels (two rears and one front)
* Centre stand -recall for faulty clip.
Above done under warranty.

Frame rust on front down section and left hand side around welds.
Corrosion and flaking paint on engine - this only on the silver section.

These were raised as warranty issue but no action from Honda. Dealer did touch up with paint sent to them by Honda - do looks to be common.

Looking to take up with Honda.

Bike definitely looks to be built down to a budget or Very poor quality control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page