Trick to removing seat? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Trick to removing seat?

Just picked up my first new bike, a '17 AT. Love it so far, though it is snowy/icy for the next week, so not much riding for me.

For the life of me, I cannot remove the seat. I turn the key fully and yet the seat doesn't seem to want to un-latch. Is there a trick to it?

I'm willing to take the bike to the dealer, but I figured I'd ask all of you fine people if there is a trick to removing the seat.

Thanks as always!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 AM

I have to commiserate on the snow and ice as I am in the same boat. I havenít even been able to pick up my new toy from the dealership.

I canít help yet with your seat question until I get home. Good luck!

Bookem
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofresh View Post
Just picked up my first new bike, a '17 AT. Love it so far, though it is snowy/icy for the next week, so not much riding for me.

For the life of me, I cannot remove the seat. I turn the key fully and yet the seat doesn't seem to want to un-latch. Is there a trick to it?

I'm willing to take the bike to the dealer, but I figured I'd ask all of you fine people if there is a trick to removing the seat.

Thanks as always!
Try pulling up on the front of the seat (close to the full tank) when turning the key. That is what works for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charris543 View Post
Try pulling up on the front of the seat (close to the full tank) when turning the key. That is what works for me...
Yep, worked for me too. You can then detach the pillion seat by undoing two 10mm bolts, accessible once the front seat is out of the way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Yeah... it is kind of weird. When you turn the key, it's like nothing happens--don't feel an unlatching or a sense that anything is happening. And yet the key springs right back to reset/ locked position.

So you have to hold the key in the open position and with your other hand, just lift the front of the seat up. Presto.

Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 PM

As everyone else has said really, turn the key keep it held and then get your fingers under the front of the seat and lift upwards in a hinge style. the catch is on the tank the lock under the seat.
good luck lol

Last edited by zippysworld; 02-10-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page