Can't remove seat - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Can't remove seat

Key turns. I can hear the cable and latch moving but can't get the seat off.

I've beat on the seat, tugged, pushed, angled the key up/down/left/right - nothing works.
Seems like the cable is not moving enough to achieve full unlatch. I don't have a lot of crap under the seat and I've never had an issue until today.

Any useful non-destructive ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 AM

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...cable-off.html

2016 AT manual. 2005 TA. 1949 Scott 600.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link
ScottT wrote " i got the 2 screws and the push rivit out of the side trim and used a long 90 degree pick and popped the latch."

I'm trying to figure what piece of side trim and if he came in from the right side with the long 90deg pick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
Thanks for the link
ScottT wrote " i got the 2 screws and the push rivit out of the side trim and used a long 90 degree pick and popped the latch."

I'm trying to figure what piece of side trim and if he came in from the right side with the long 90deg pick.
By side trim I think he meant the S shaped long plastic part along the bottom of the tank. Right side seems more likely to work due to where the latch is. Good luck!

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Found ScottT's post helped me when my seat suddenly wouldn't come off.
1) take off the right side trim. Two screws and a push-pin rivet. You have to torque the seat some to get at the rivet.
2) pry & hold the seat and the plastic piece that caps the back of gas tank out of the way and push the latch to release the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Seat Latch - 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	48411   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Seat Latch - 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	48413   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Seat Latch - 3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	48415   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Seat Latch - 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	48417   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Seat Latch - 5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	48419  

superfunkomatic likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 PM

I was struggling to remove the seat earlier today too, spent a good few minutes tugging on the seat in every direction and fiddling with the key and it wouldn't budge. After awhile I pulled up really hard and steady on the mid section and it came free as though nothing were wrong. It seems to be a really finicky system - almost every time I remove or adjust the seat it's a new adventure - I guess that's why they call it an adventure bike.
echo15 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 PM

After reading your post, I figured I better find out how to get it off non-destructively. So I did! I can say, l can slim Jim my 2018 AT without taking anything off or destroying anything. (Its fairly simple, once you do it a few times.) I also mastered on latching the seat in either position.(red some threads that people were have a hard time.) Don.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 PM

Guess we canít consider the under seat area secure anymore... now that all the thieves have seen this post...

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bownetheclown View Post
After reading your post, I figured I better find out how to get it off non-destructively. So I did! I can say, l can slim Jim my 2018 AT without taking anything off or destroying anything. (Its fairly simple, once you do it a few times.) I also mastered on latching the seat in either position.(red some threads that people were have a hard time.) Don.
On my bike, 2018 Atas, putting the seat in the lower position, is a major production. Now I use the high standard position, but I would like to easily put it in the low position to lend the bike to my friend. What is your tip? Or what is your technique? I believe the design is deficient.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:52 PM

Take the back half the seat off, and do it a few times and see what the seat itself does. Lower the front of the seat close to tank but drop It for the last 2 inches. It sorta falls in place itself. Practice a few times, to get it down. You'll see it sorta slides forward. Slightly push down with fingertips in a slight circle. Falls right in. Put back half back on, and you'll see what to do to make it happen
geirvmax likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page