More '18 ATAS frame weld issues - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

More '18 ATAS frame weld issues

So what do you guys think? This is very sad that Honda considers this work as acceptable. Do you think a licensed inspector or engineer would put their stamp on this? That would had been a deal breaker if I saw this before purchase. Planning on discussing this with the dealer tomorrow.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1119.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	48797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1120.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	48799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1111.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	48801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1110.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	48803  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 AM

It looks bad but sound. I sold my 2017 standard AT a couple of months ago, and with hindsight I think the frame was cracked around the welds on the downtube at the front. At first I just thought it was the paint that was cracked but now think that if they can't weld neatly, how do we know the other factors in the weld were right?
Mike
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
Possibly a bit untidy, but outwardly/visually the welds look like they could be strong enough. No harm in having the dealer check though. Not that they would know too much about inspecting welds, especially when they have a coating on them (white paint). If you are really worried have a welding shop/inspector check them out as they will know what they are looking at.

Some other owners.... (seems to be white framed models only - probably because white shows anomalies more easily) appear to have welds that have cold lap, aka lack of fusion with the plates being welded, and that shows even with white paint sprayed on. One bike had a totally crappy butt weld on a tubular that they missed about 30% of the tube end! Can't really see any signs of that in your images.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in