?? Painting Crash Bar and Bash / Skid Plate? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Robert Detjen

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

?? Painting Crash Bar and Bash / Skid Plate?

My black Heed bars are on the way and was thinking to make them invisible with paint (or with a wrap/decal) wherever it passes in front of the plastics. Has anyone tried this? Any clues on how to do this before I install the bars? Plan to also make the bash plate black, and touch both up as they get scraped up. As my trail riding gets better and more advanced I'll upgrade parts as needed. Thank you in advance

'18 ATAS dct leftover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 PM

I saw an ATAS that painted the bars and plate white to match the frame, and I think it looked really good. I need to stop plowing through scrub before I do that though. My skidplate would quickly look trashed if I did that (it already bears the scars of my path choices). I haven't named my bike yet - but Bushwhacker seems appropriate. If I went by what my friends say it would be "Don't follow Robert". But thats' too long. Hmmm, my kayaking friends say the same thing...
VicAT and yetiboy01 like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
Personal Choice:

Simple to match or repair after a nap.
Powder Coating Candy Apple Red was $450.00-$500.00 USD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:34 AM

Garage
Go satin black with a hard paint like Hammerite blends in with the stock black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190912_152712.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	50183  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
I have painted my bars after a dust up. Rustoleum paint to match the colour- proper prep with some fine sanding and jam a piece of cardboard behind to limit overspray. No problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
I saw an ATAS that painted the bars and plate white to match the frame, and I think it looked really good. I need to stop plowing through scrub before I do that though. My skidplate would quickly look trashed if I did that (it already bears the scars of my path choices). I haven't named my bike yet - but Bushwhacker seems appropriate. If I went by what my friends say it would be "Don't follow Robert". But thats' too long. Hmmm, my kayaking friends say the same thing...
Bushbashing the AT & Kayaking, you have to love that
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Too_Tired View Post
My black Heed bars are on the way and was thinking to make them invisible with paint (or with a wrap/decal) wherever it passes in front of the plastics. Has anyone tried this? Any clues on how to do this before I install the bars? Plan to also make the bash plate black, and touch both up as they get scraped up. As my trail riding gets better and more advanced I'll upgrade parts as needed. Thank you in advance
I think it would be a “hard sell” to do simply because the bars are physically a bit far off from the colors you are matching and the curves/lines of the bike will offset the colors when you are looking at it from different angles.. But I have thought lighted acrylic bars would look sweet, VERY INEFFECTIVE as “crash” bars, but sweet looking non the less... It would make it less noticeable at the very least more like its part of the bike instead of something added on.. kinda like noivson’s white looks more like an extension of the frame than an aftermarket add on..

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-15-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page