display reflections - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

display reflections

In the UK the sun is often low in the sky at this time of year, and the new bike (2018) is causing problems for me. They changed the angle of the instrument display so that people standing on the pegs could read the instruments. Sounds a good idea but it means anyone of normal height sitting on the seat, gets a perfect reflection of the sun when it's behind the bike. This goes beyond not being able to read the display, it's blindingly bright and distracting. I've got to do something about it - anyone got any ideas?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 AM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Yes Petros - I have been reading that thread with interest but decided to start a new thread as I don't think it's the same issue. My problem is with the angle of the front clear perspex of the display - which as it happens means that the gold handlebars do not reflect into my eyes. I once tried an antiglare phone screen on my NC700 instruments, but it doesn;t work because the actual display numerics are too far from the clear plastic and the stick on phone screen therefore blurs them.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:15 PM

I have bought some screen protectors to see if it helps but havent yet had a chance to fit them .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:08 PM

My phone is mounted next to the display - and the phone has much worse glare from it's screen protector...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
In the UK the sun is often low in the sky at this time of year, and the new bike (2018) is causing problems for me. They changed the angle of the instrument display so that people standing on the pegs could read the instruments. Sounds a good idea but it means anyone of normal height sitting on the seat, gets a perfect reflection of the sun when it's behind the bike. This goes beyond not being able to read the display, it's blindingly bright and distracting. I've got to do something about it - anyone got any ideas?
Mike
I might ask; do you have or did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
I might ask; do you have or did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
That's not the point really. It's the blinding image of the sun blasting my 70 year old eyes that bothers me, not the readability of the figures beneath.
Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
That's not the point really. It's the blinding image of the sun blasting my 70 year old eyes that bothers me, not the readability of the figures beneath.
Mike
Yes but what could Honda do? I mean short of putting it down in a deep well, if they had did a mat coating mud a dust would collect, a curved screen would pick up light from more angles.
So Im thinking a riders height and riding position causing a lot of these issues, hence some ppl dont seem to have issues

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM

How about this?

But seriously, what about a computer anti-glare film? 3M makes one. You could cut it down.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

That might work - I will ask my daughter to get kntting - just need two eyeholes for forward vision. If the 3M stuff is the same as the stuff I tried on my NC750X, then it won't work. It might cut the glare down but because it's a long way from the actual figures it blurs them badly.
Yeah - I understand Honda's problem. The 2016/17 bike worked fine for most riders sitting down, but for serious riders taking it off road they couldn't read the display while standing on the pegs. They can now but occasionally it causes problems touring on the road.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page