need handlebar swap ideas - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

need handlebar swap ideas

anybody change the stock bars to pro taper bars?
looking for a less swept back bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 PM

I put on "RC High", but I think they are Fatbar brand. They are about the same height but less sweep.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:40 PM

If you go on to protaper or renthal website you will find list of all the bends with proper measurements including height and sweep , so you can choose bend that will suit you , for me its the KTM/Suzuki RM bend now aviable in two heights .

County Durham cowboy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I put on "RC High", but I think they are Fatbar brand. They are about the same height but less sweep.
Mark did you keep the oem handguards or install aftermarket? And is there any clearance issues with the windscreen or fairing? Thanks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 PM

hi i am thinking of the new pro taper adventure evo high....i believe it will drastically improve comfort for long haul BUT the cables may not be long enough... wonder where to get a set of cables for the handlebar overhaul
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 AM

You can get a pretty good idea of the effects of changing handlebars (and other ergonomic variables) at www.cycle-ergo.com . Add the Africa Twin, plug in your height, inseam and preferred placement on seat and arm straightness -- then select "Vehicle Customization" to see what happens to the rider image when you change handlebar rise and pullback (or sweep). Or those other variables.

The limitation of cycle-ergo site, is that it provides a "showroom" or maybe "highway" image of rider position. In motion, a whole new set of considerations can come into play. So you need to start the process knowing the riding conditions under which you want to improve your position. Still, it's a good place to start before you begin throwing money and time at the problem.
Superhatch likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:30 AM

I changed my oem bar to Pro Taper Contour which has less sweep back. Also added the ROX 2" Adjustable riser. The cables are long enough to accommodate both bar and riser. Only draw back is that the oem hand guards are too big to fit on the pro taper bar. So i had to get a bark buster. But in the end, i was happy with the configuration and my ride is comfy now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 PM

I am in the same boat. I bought the pro taper contour atv high bend.
Questions I have. What model of bark buster did you use to fit ? I have a set from my xchallenge I will try.
Did you add bar end weights? How is vibration over stock ?
I see that the oem bar has what appears to be a brass insert as well as bar end weights to minimize vibration.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airheader911 View Post
I am in the same boat. I bought the pro taper contour atv high bend.
Questions I have. What model of bark buster did you use to fit ? I have a set from my xchallenge I will try.
Did you add bar end weights? How is vibration over stock ?
I see that the oem bar has what appears to be a brass insert as well as bar end weights to minimize vibration.
The service manual says nothing about vibration, but they certainly look like ones that I've seen advertised for anti-vibration like http://www.fasstco.com/products/anti...ant=1766565187
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-03-20 09-21-14.png
Views:	339
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	20561  
davidji likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM

The OE handlebar is threaded to accommodate this weight system. I'm planning to fit aftermarket Pro Taper Evo High Adventure Handlebars ( approximately 2" higher than stock ) and the question becomes do I thread inside of new handlebar to refit this weight system or do something else ? The OE weight system seems high-quality and I suspect well matched to the bike. I'm also planning to fit Kaoko Throttle lock which offers a couple of models based on OE handlebars or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page