fairing removal - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

fairing removal

Hi all,

Trying to remove the main fairings but each time get to a point where I feel something is going to break. Each fairing has two bolts and 4 + 2 poppers that need to be removed. After this it should just pull off. The problem is that the fairing seams also to be attached to the tank cover and this is what causing the problem . When I pull the fairing at the top it is attached to the tank cover.

Any ideas?

Thanks Spanish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you tried looking for the ORM 12V socket installation manual online?

Find it here > http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx

The instructions are pretty clear. From memory, there are a few moments where I thought things would break, but if you slowly open up each clip and panel, it should be fine. Good luck.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks, I have read said pdf. I follow all the steps upo 8 (remove as shown), but it is joined to the upper tank cover so I can't pull it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:03 PM

Watch this and be brave. https://youtu.be/qc1SOR4hJ48
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
Watch this and be brave. https://youtu.be/qc1SOR4hJ48

This video got me through the removal. But alas, after all was said and done I had to push pins left!!!

'16 CRF1000L, '17 KTM Enduro R
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
This video got me through the removal. But alas, after all was said and done I had to push pins left!!!
First time I tried I had 4 screws and a few push pins left over. Watched the video and very carefully followed it. I only had one push pin left the second time.

One thing that concerned me was trying to pull the panels off from the rubber grommets. At first I thought I did not have everything removed but I spent several minutes looking everywhere. Once I knew everything WAS removed I crossed my fingers and pulled hard. I really thought I would break something before they finally came loose.

When I put it back together I lubed each grommet and it was much easier the next time I pulled the fairing. (To replace the screws and push pins I left out the first time).

A little good news is that there are really only two types of screws and they are a different size so you won't mix them up.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I still havn't managed to get the b******** off.

The photo above shows the lhs fairing as it mates with the tank top cover (by the blue stripe). This is the bit giving me all the grief. How do seperate the fairing from the tank cover? If I pull, as if pulling away from the bike, I feel as if the tab that links them may break (The tab is just by the blue stripe and is linked with the ajoining tank cover).

Thanks Spanish
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 PM

It is a bit difficult to get off. I just pushed the inner with my right hand and pulled out and down with my left. If you think getting them apart is a bitch just wait till you have to put them back together! For me the right side was easy and the left gave me endless trouble. I did find that putting a small amount of lube on the connecting tabs did help a bit for reinstall.

Good luck!!

'16 CRF1000L, '17 KTM Enduro R
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I managed to get the buggers off . I found out why you need to pull so hard where the fairing joins the tank cover - the top photo below shows there is a tiny lip on the fairing tab. This lip is what resists when you pull. To overcome the lip you need to push down on the tank cover with one hand, while pulling with the other (not easy), or insert a thin wedge between the two to overcome the lip.

For both fairings I managed to break off the small boss that fits just below the headlight. IMHO this is a stupid design and I bet I am not alone here. Thankfully it doesn't appear to do much. The second photo shows the missing boss. I am hoping a small square of 3M tape will compensate when I refit.

Hope this helps any others who attempt this job.

PS I re-assembled the LHS fairing immediately afterwards and found it not too difficult to get back on.

Spanish

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by spanishjohn; 07-27-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page