Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/)
-   -   Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/15578-eastern-beaver-pc8-fuse-panel.html)

Canadarider 03-01-2017 07:02 AM

Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel
 
1 Attachment(s)
Finished installing the Eastern Beaver 8 circuit fuse panel on the weekend.

Why I chose this solution over others is that it's simple and easy to troubleshoot anywhere. The fancy electronic power blocks look super cool, but if they fail there is really not much you can do but replace it. Other alternatives with a relay like the Fuze block, mount the relay on the circuit board. Since the relay is the most likely thing to fail over time, unless you know how to solder, you'll have to throw the whole unit out as well when it fails. The Easter Beaver uses a VERY common automotive relay in a socket that can be purchased at any auto parts store for a few $'s.

The power wires were all cut to length and the installation was super easy! The parts quickly arrived from Japan in a few days.

kondor 03-01-2017 08:44 AM

Nice clean install. What do you have hooked up to it so far?

AdvArt 03-01-2017 10:57 PM

Which wire did you use for the switchable power? If that's the correct term. The wire which sends power to the box only when the key is turned on. I have a pc8 I plan on installing as well.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadarider (Post 148474)
Finished installing the Eastern Beaver 8 circuit fuse panel on the weekend.

Why I chose this solution over others is that it's simple and easy to troubleshoot anywhere. The fancy electronic power blocks look super cool, but if they fail there is really not much you can do but replace it. Other alternatives with a relay like the Fuze block, mount the relay on the circuit board. Since the relay is the most likely thing to fail over time, unless you know how to solder, you'll have to throw the whole unit out as well when it fails. The Easter Beaver uses a VERY common automotive relay in a socket that can be purchased at any auto parts store for a few $'s.

The power wires were all cut to length and the installation was super easy! The parts quickly arrived from Japan in a few days.


davidji 03-02-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdvArt (Post 148650)
Which wire did you use for the switchable power? If that's the correct term. The wire which sends power to the box only when the key is turned on. I have a pc8 I plan on installing as well.

The CRF1000L-specific PC8 kit plugs directly into a connector on the bike. Diagnostic connector I think.

See it in my photo here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...tml#post117090. There's the fusebox, to the left the relay, and above the connector to the bike.

davidji 03-02-2017 12:48 AM

If you don't have the CRF1000L-specific PC8, I think you use the black/white wire from that connector.

Canadarider 03-02-2017 06:32 AM

The CRF1000 specific PC8 kit comes with a connector that plugs into the factory harness. You can see it on the right side of the picture although it's a bit blurry.... This connects to a switched output which enabled the relay in the kit to switch the fused outputs. The connector I plugged into had a red cap on it. Remove the red cap and plug in the PC8 kit. I also unclipped it from it's location, it was originally pointing to the tail of the bike, and I turned it around so it fit with the length of the harness supplied.

Sgtt45 03-02-2017 06:58 PM

So I am electronically challenged. On my last bike I had my heated gear and usb plug wired directly to the battery. Is this option better? With that connector do you not have to wire anything to the battery?
Thanks!

black99S 03-02-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgtt45 (Post 149050)
So I am electronically challenged. On my last bike I had my heated gear and usb plug wired directly to the battery. Is this option better? With that connector do you not have to wire anything to the battery?
Thanks!

One or two extra things wired directly (with a fused positive wire) to an easily accessible battery is OK. More than that and the battery terminal screws and connections are compromised - plus if you have to disconnect the battery for service the mess of wires is just plain ugly. Each individual fused positive wire is bulky, and connected directly to the battery the circuits are not switched - so if you forget to unplug or turn anything off, or kids turn things on - you have a dead battery.

Benefit of the PC-8 and the Denali Powerhub2 Fuse block is you make only ONE connection to each battery terminal, plus you have the option of switched and unstitched power and independently fused circuits. You don't need fancy wire connectors - just a screwdriver to connect things.

The Africa Twin battery is not easily accessible. At least one forum poster connected some options to his battery and never got the ground terminal screwed down properly, thus suffering intermittent ghost faults - and after many dealer visits and complaints had to admit if wa his fault....

superfunkomatic 03-02-2017 07:32 PM

The nice thing about the PC8 is all your connections are in one location. Two wires to the battery that you don't have to touch again. If you plan well the fuses on your accessories can also go there under the seat which saves fumbling around if you do have a blown fuse, short or fault. You can connect a Optimate/quick charger plug, accessories, and supply power to things at the back of the bike all in one place. Very slick!

Googlefish 03-07-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadarider (Post 148474)
Finished installing the Eastern Beaver 8 circuit fuse panel on the weekend.

Why I chose this solution over others is that it's simple and easy to troubleshoot anywhere. The fancy electronic power blocks look super cool, but if they fail there is really not much you can do but replace it. Other alternatives with a relay like the Fuze block, mount the relay on the circuit board. Since the relay is the most likely thing to fail over time, unless you know how to solder, you'll have to throw the whole unit out as well when it fails. The Easter Beaver uses a VERY common automotive relay in a socket that can be purchased at any auto parts store for a few $'s.

The power wires were all cut to length and the installation was super easy! The parts quickly arrived from Japan in a few days.

Nice ... are you available for hire?? :smile2:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome