Fuse blown in 12V accessory socket - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Fuse blown in 12V accessory socket

Hi everyone

I had the Honda 12V accessory socket fitted from new and I have managed to blow the fuse (stupidly I attempted to use an electric tyre pump)

According to the fitting instructions there is an inline fuse, however I am unsure of the location

Iím hoping replacement of the fuse wonít involve stripping down the front end!

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM
pjm

Unfortunately it is a complete strip down of thr front end. I raised this as a potential issue with my dealer pre purchase and was told it would be covered by the warranty. There is a good YouTube clip of how to strip and replace the front end.
freeman likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for confirming, I think I'd rather attempt it myself than let the dealer loose on it again so will check out the video for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Unless it was added by the installer, there is no inline fuse in the OEM 12v accessory outlet wiring kit. The front accessory plug is fused from the 10a OP fuse under the seat.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage
That is wrong information. I just ordered and installed the Honda 12v accessory plug/wiring kit and there is indeed an inline fuse (7.5 amps, i believe). Unfortunately, it does require removing the whole front fairing.
First time doing this might seem like a chore, but after you've done it once or twice it really isn't too bad. I can probably do it in under 15 minutes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
That is wrong information. I just ordered and installed the Honda 12v accessory plug/wiring kit and there is indeed an inline fuse (7.5 amps, i believe). Unfortunately, it does require removing the whole front fairing.
First time doing this might seem like a chore, but after you've done it once or twice it really isn't too bad. I can probably do it in under 15 minutes.
Really? Then there must be two kits. Please tell me where to find the inline fuse in this harness.
http://powersports.honda.com/documen...70-MJP-G50.pdf
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelpincher View Post
Really? Then there must be two kits. Please tell me where to find the inline fuse in this harness.
http://powersports.honda.com/documen...70-MJP-G50.pdf
Gladly. Page 4, #17: "fuse holder". It looks like another connector but it's a fuse holder with a fuse in it.
eltel62 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM

Garage
On the first page, "parts list":
Click image for larger version

Name:	accessory socket.png
Views:	396
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	28506
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
Gladly. Page 4, #17: "fuse holder". It looks like another connector but it's a fuse holder with a fuse in it.
Wow. Honda has done some dumb things but this is a corker. Hiding a fuse under the fairing is criminal. If I passed on the kit and installed a generic socket, fused from the main fuse block. Why not just jump that inline fuse and put a 7.5a. in the OP slot?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelpincher View Post
Wow. Honda has done some dumb things but this is a corker. Hiding a fuse under the fairing is criminal. If I passed on the kit and installed a generic socket, fused from the main fuse block. Why not just jump that inline fuse and put a 7.5a. in the OP slot?
Good point, but my best guess would be that maybe there are other, more important items on that same circuit that you couldn't (or wouldn't) operate the bike without functioning or risk damaging.
Whereas, you could probably live (for a while at least) without your accessory outlet.
eltel62 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page