Wiring a pair of 10W LED driving lights - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
I'm beginning to like it here....

I'm chopping in my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx for a 2018 manual AT which is being delivered next week.
I removed a pair of Triumph LED fogs from the Tiger to sell on eBay but just read this thread.

I'm thinking if I buy a bracket from Rugged Roads
I could use the Tiger LEDs?

Can I take;
1. A 5A fused feed from the battery to a Rugged roads OEM Honda fog light switch then directly to the lamps?
Or
2. Would it be better to feed directly from a switched terminal on a PC8 directly to the lamps so always on when ignition is on?

Is option 2 legal in the UK?
Also, can you buy a PC8 in the UK?
Ideas? Advice?
You can also provide power using the Option connector behind instrument panel; there you'll find switched power AND the wire for the fog light signal on dash so that when you switch on the fog lights you'll have the indicator in the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
You can also provide power using the Option connector behind instrument panel; there you'll find switched power AND the wire for the fog light signal on dash so that when you switch on the fog lights you'll have the indicator in the dash.
Hi, please explain, what should be connected to this wire? "Positive" when fog lights are turned ON?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jungtis po lempa.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	46293  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaar View Post
Hi, please explain, what should be connected to this wire? "Positive" when fog lights are turned ON?
Yes. The "exit" from the fog light switch should be connected also to the black/blue wire of the option connector to have the dashboard fog light to turn on when you hit the lights.
jaar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Yes. The "exit" from the fog light switch should be connected also to the black/blue wire of the option connector to have the dashboard fog light to turn on when you hit the lights.
I just purchased my AT 2018. Maybe you know, how many amperes this connector can accept? I want to connect GPS and LED lights to it. Is this connector fused and where is the fuse located?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaar View Post
I just purchased my AT 2018. Maybe you know, how many amperes this connector can accept? I want to connect GPS and LED lights to it. Is this connector fused and where is the fuse located?
I'm running exactly the same things on my 2018 AT: a Tomtom Rider and the LED lights amperes (Koso Aurora) are powered from that connector without any problems. The LED lights uses about 2 plus another couples for the GPS. All options connected to the option connectors are fused with a 10 amps fuse under the driver's seat (OP FUSE). I wouldn't use 10 amperes on that wires, but i think 4-5 amperes are ok.
jaar likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 AM

Looking to install a set of LED auxiliary driving lights on my 2017 Africa Twin. I am using the PC8 unit to control the electric supply but wanted to use the Skenedesign IQ-275 unit to alter the brightness when the high beam lights are not on, i.e daylight. This unit needs a connection to the high beam to switch the brightness up, but I have just read that the feed to the high beam lights will not trigger the device because of the LED lights. Has anyone ever used one of these units and where can I take a 'hot' feed to trigger the high beam brightness, assuming it does work.

Thanks
Peter
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM

i've done a similar set up on my super tenere.
Looking at the AT repair manual, page 567. The headlight driver has four wires. the HB does have it's own wire. One would assume it's a 12V signal for the HB trigger, and be sufficient for what you need to do.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:37 PM

Hi Everyone,
Hoping one of you will be able to help me out and this post seemed like the right place.

I'm getting the Eastern Beaver 3cs kit for some electrical accessories.
However, I have a set of Acerbis Vison Led handguard lights (2x4watts) that I want to install, and at a later stage might add or replace with some real fog lights from Denali. So for now, I want to hook up the Vision's to the front option connector (that will be the only thing I run from that and will give me the chance to open up the front end) and I want them switched via the Honda OEM fog light switch.

The Vision kit only comes with plain + and - wires from each, with no connectors. I've attached pictures below. The wiring guide provided shows how I would wire them if I used the crappy switch they come with.

But how would I go about connecting them to the front option connector and using the OEM switch? I assume I need to buy a 4 pin connector for the front option connector, but what about connecting the OEM switch? Do I need to buy a connector for this to wire with the rest or do the led wires go to the switch and then the switch wires go to the connector? Bit of a newbie when it comes to wiring but I have a soldering kit and crimpers at the ready and been practising lately lol. Would very much appreciate a clear explanation or a helpful easy to read drawing if anyone has one handy...
Thanks very much in advance.
VT

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
Hi Everyone,
Hoping one of you will be able to help me out and this post seemed like the right place.

However, I have a set of Acerbis Vison Led handguard lights (2x4watts) that I want to install, and at a later stage might add or replace with some real fog lights from Denali. So for now, I want to hook up the Vision's to the front option connector (that will be the only thing I run from that and will give me the chance to open up the front end) and I want them switched via the Honda OEM fog light switch.

The Vision kit only comes with plain + and - wires from each, with no connectors. I've attached pictures below. The wiring guide provided shows how I would wire them if I used the crappy switch they come with.

But how would I go about connecting them to the front option connector and using the OEM switch? I assume I need to buy a 4 pin connector for the front option connector, but what about connecting the OEM switch? Do I need to buy a connector for this to wire with the rest or do the led wires go to the switch and then the switch wires go to the connector? Bit of a newbie when it comes to wiring but I have a soldering kit and crimpers at the ready and been practising lately lol. Would very much appreciate a clear explanation or a helpful easy to read drawing if anyone has one handy...
VT
Now with pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8835.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	46521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8834.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	46523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8837.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	46525  

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
Hi Everyone,

VT
I think I've already answered to this precise question (by you!) here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...tml#post294253
Just replace the fog lights at the left of the schematics with your handguards light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page