Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/)
-   -   Wiring a pair of 10W LED driving lights (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/21826-wiring-pair-10w-led-driving-lights.html)

pjm 07-14-2017 03:38 AM

Wiring a pair of 10W LED driving lights
 
I plan to install 2 x 10W LED driving lights. I have a spotlight harness, with relay, sitting around but am wondering if that is overkill. I plan to have the lights on, as running lights, whenever the bike is on. Now should I bother with the relay harness and switch or with the lights only having a small draw, compared to conventional spots, can I simply get away with running a feed directly from a fused switched outlet on my PC-8 power supply. I already have a feed run up to the area with a cable that has a 5A rating. I have calculated that the draw of the lights should only be 1.66A (Watts / Voltage) so this should be more than adequate. I plan to split the feed from a two core waterproof connector to each light. Is this safe and sound logic? The reason being that the harness with the relay is quite bulky and there is very limited space to hide it all safely away.

ablock 07-14-2017 09:09 AM

What are you using for a switch? If you are running a feed from the PC8 with its own switch rated for the current, then you never need a relay. All the relay does is allow you to use a low current switch with a high current load.

That said, even if you are using the OEM fog light switch available in Europe I wouldn't think that 2A would be a problem.

Rereading your email, you seem to suggest you won't be using any switch at all, in which case you are relying on the PC8's built in ignition relay and should be fine.

Finally, as an aside I didn't have any problem finding room for relays under the seat. The more annoying issues is having to run two sets of wires to the front of the bike (assuming your switch is in the dash).

crstep 07-14-2017 10:41 AM

I did this exact thing with my 10W led lights. I wired them to the auxiliary power port behind the dash up front, although I have a PC-8 for all my other accessories. No switch, just always on. Eventually I might upgrade the lights and then I will add the OEM fog light switch.

pjm 07-14-2017 12:40 PM

I used the Denali light bar. All seems to be working fine. It was more of a faff routing the winters and getting them nice and secure but out of the way. I used a bit of Hammerite black silk finish to paint the small steel brackets and bolts that came with them to match the lights and light bar. Used Sumitomo two port waterproof fittings so should be ok. The lights are that people see me rather than illumination so I have tipped them down a bit so as not to blind.

eltel62 07-14-2017 02:32 PM

yes, ditch the relay, as long as you have a decently rated fuse either via your PC8 or inline. I did the same as crstep but did use the Honda OEM switch to give me the option of switching them off, wiring up there also gives you the option of illuminating the fog light indicator on the dash when they are on.

pjm 07-14-2017 02:54 PM

I have put a 5A fuse in the PC8. Seems ok.

crstep 07-14-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjm (Post 200562)
I have put a 5A fuse in the PC8. Seems ok.

I forgot to mention that I do have an in line fuse with my lights' wiring with sumitomo connectors up front. I used to Eastern Beaver kit for the front plug (purchased with the PC-8).

The only reason I did not have the fog light switch is that rugged roads never processed my order and never responded to emails asking about it. I just figured screw it, I don't really need the switch since they'll be on all the time.

Squirrelly 11-13-2018 02:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crstep (Post 200674)
I forgot to mention that I do have an in line fuse with my lights' wiring with sumitomo connectors up front. I used to Eastern Beaver kit for the front plug (purchased with the PC-8).

The only reason I did not have the fog light switch is that rugged roads never processed my order and never responded to emails asking about it. I just figured screw it, I don't really need the switch since they'll be on all the time.

I'm beginning to like it here....:smile2:

I'm chopping in my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx for a 2018 manual AT which is being delivered next week.
I removed a pair of Triumph LED fogs from the Tiger to sell on eBay but just read this thread.

I'm thinking if I buy a bracket from Rugged Roads
I could use the Tiger LEDs?

Can I take;

1. A 5A fused feed from the battery to a Rugged roads OEM Honda fog light switch then directly to the lamps?

Or

2. Would it be better to feed directly from a switched terminal on a PC8 directly to the lamps so always on when ignition is on?

Is option 2 legal in the UK?

Also, can you buy a PC8 in the UK?

Ideas? Advice?

Maxply 11-14-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrelly (Post 290317)
I'm beginning to like it here....:smile2:

I'm chopping in my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx for a 2018 manual AT which is being delivered next week.
I removed a pair of Triumph LED fogs from the Tiger to sell on eBay but just read this thread.

I'm thinking if I buy a bracket from Rugged Roads
I could use the Tiger LEDs?

Can I take;

1. A 5A fused feed from the battery to a Rugged roads OEM Honda fog light switch then directly to the lamps?

Or

2. Would it be better to feed directly from a switched terminal on a PC8 directly to the lamps so always on when ignition is on?

Is option 2 legal in the UK?

Also, can you buy a PC8 in the UK?

Ideas? Advice?

You will have to buy the PC8 direct from Eastern Beaver in Japan - easy enough to do, just look him up on the internet. He makes a specific kit for the AT. I think the kit for the 2018 bikes is different fro the earlier ones.
I have bought the Honda switch ,but I'm not looking forward to removing all the plastic panels to get at the back of the switch blank.

Greg the Pole 11-14-2018 04:17 PM

10 different ways to skin the cat.
I installed a single pole switch, to run a relay, and control the lights. It's total overkill for 10w LED lights. Whatever, I was in there...might as well.
I have a dedicated power supply from a ghetto home made power splitter, run off a relay, controlled by the tail lamp.

As a bonus, Im using the fog light dash light, which is neat IMO (right side of dash shown in picture below)
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/20...h-electricity/

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4613/...3bcd9983_b.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome