PGM-FI Fault Light Reset - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ddavenp
  • 2 Post By ddavenp

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

PGM-FI Fault Light Reset

My AT manual shift PGM-FI light suddenly came on at around 750 miles. I believe I have corrected the problem (pinched O2 Sensor leads during Crash Bar installation). The fault code however, is locked in and the light remains on. I disconnected the battery for several hours without success. Does anybody know how to reset the lamp without a service tool? Thanks in Advance, Dingo
UintaUte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

All stop!!! I was able to figure it out by piecing together parts of other Non-Africa Twin forums and a little diagnosis. Codes can be obtained without a specialized Honda scan tool by shorting the data lead to ground on the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the seat. A connector can be ordered from Honda (Part 070PZ-ZY30100) to perform the connection for about $20 or you can do it with a piece of wire if you aren't afraid. Shorting the incorrect wires will either put full system voltage into your serial data lead or create a dead short between (+) and chassis ground. Proceed at your own risk if you choose to follow my instructions.

The methods I describe will allow you to pull the fault code from the ECU as well as clear to fault from memory. First you have to locate DLC under the seat. It is a red 4 pin connector with a weather cap on the right side just under the passenger seat.

The 2 wires you want to short together are the blue-white and blue-green ones. One is the chassis ground and the other is the serial line from the ECU. You can verify this with a meter. Checking the ground connection is obvious, but the serial lead should have around 4-5 vdc on it with the kill switch and key in the on position.

To check the fuel injection fault codes you will observe the blinking Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). Start by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. Remove the dummy connector from the DLC. Short the 2 discussed wires of the DLC. Turn the ignition switch ON and the engine stop switch to RUN. If the ECM has any a fault code in its memory, the MIL will start blinking. The MIL blinks indicate the fault code.

The MIL has two types of blinks, a long blink and short blink. The long blink lasts for 1.3 seconds; the short blink lasts for 0.3 seconds. The long blinks are the 1st digit in the code and the short blinks are the 2nd digit. For example, when 2 long blinks are followed by 1 short blink, the fault code is 21 (O2 Sensor). When the ECM stores more than one fault code, the MIL will express the fault codes in order from the smallest numbered code to the largest numbered code. The blinks will then repeat until you remove the jumper or turn off the key/kill switch.

You will have to get the fault code table from the Service Manual or Web. It is too long to post here.

Complete the following process to erase the fault codes. Start by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. Short the indicated wires of the DLC. Turn the ignition switch ON and the engine stop switch to RUN. Remove the special tool to disconnect the jump. The MIL will light for approximately 5 seconds. While the MIL lights, short the DLC terminals again. The self-diagnostic memory is erased if the MIL goes off and then starts blinking. I had to repeat this a couple times to get the timing right. Good luck. I hope this helps someone down the road.
Howdager and Shifty like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:17 PM

Used the reset method you mentioned and it worked!!! Thnx for doing the research and sharing here. I changed my tires and had the eng light come on due to a problem with the ABS during mounting of the rear tire which caused some chafing on the caliper. I adjusted my error and reset the light and everything if GTG! Saved me some money thnx lots

Lanesworld
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM

No dice here. And it's the ABS light that blinks, not the the Engine light. I have the Traction control light as well as the ABS light remaining on after I changed my tires. And yes the wheels are installed correctly with the pulser ring on the proper side. Got anything?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page