USB power in dash - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 PM

There is this answered question on the page. I think this is for the combo, but the individual plugs are 1.125". :

Question:
What are the outer dimensions of the face plate? L x w

Answer:
2.345" wide x 1.67" high. Mounting holes are 1.91" center to center. Mounting hole(2) diameter is 0.165". You will need to cut a 1.125" diameter hole for the device. I use a hole saw chucked up in my cordless drill. I measured all of these dimensions with my dial caliper so they are dead on. You can actually mount the USB charger socket without the mounting plate by utilizing the lockwasher provided with the unit. This will require that you use a hole saw the will accurately cut a 1.125" diameter hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Garage
I'm still having a hard time understanding why this is a good idea when the 12V receptacle (OEM of aftermarket) is easy to fit and the flush dual-USB adapters that go in that receptacle cost $6.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Can the power for the Honda aux outlet be wired to the headlight or does it have to be routed to the battery? wiring noob :-(
Cuchulainn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiker25 View Post
Can the power for the Honda aux outlet be wired to the headlight or does it have to be routed to the battery? wiring noob :-(
There is an open accessory port under the front cowl that the aux outlet wiring connects to. It's very simple, once you have the fairing off (which isn't that simple).
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 AM

I have one Dual USB with intergrated voltmeter mounted in the hole for accessory 12V and a 12V outlet just below on a plate attached to the bike via the USB socket.
Both wired to my PC-8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	32625  

Last edited by ctbr; 09-15-2017 at 04:47 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
I'm still having a hard time understanding why this is a good idea when the 12V receptacle (OEM of aftermarket) is easy to fit and the flush dual-USB adapters that go in that receptacle cost $6.
I suppose my idea it to be able to use both the lighter socket and USB at the same time...
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbr View Post
I have one Dual USB with intergrated voltmeter mounted in the hole for accessory 12V and a 12V outlet just below on a plate attached to the bike via the USB socket.
Both wired to my PC-8
Did you remove your tank to run the wires for these two items? Did you splice them together and only run one + and - to the battery? Even 16 gauge wire can handle 5 amps which should be plenty for USB charging and the voltmeter.

I just hooked up my PC-8 today but the multi stranded wire seems kind of fragile where the screws on the PC-8 hold it in place. I'd like to add something like this item below which may work for the OP as well. Given how light weight it is I may be able to get it to mount to the cross bar on the windscreen. I cut snake the wires in the groove around the instrument cluster and place a layer of tape over that seem and it will look good enough for me.

https://powerwerx.com/two-hole-panel-mounting-plate

https://powerwerx.com/two-hole-panel-mounting-pod

NC
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM

I got this off Amazon for $15
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6632.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	32705  

Your attitude determines your altitude.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Did it fit comfortably into that opening or did you have to really work it in or grind the opening a little larger? I tried to fit one that had a collar on the back of it but it felt like I would break the plastic opening. There is also no way I would be able to attach the collar from the inside either. But if it is tight enough the collar may not be needed and I'd probably put a little bit of silicone around the edge anyway for water proofing.

I assume this is the place for the Honda 12 volt connector as that is what it looks like?

NC
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
Did it fit comfortably into that opening or did you have to really work it in or grind the opening a little larger? I tried to fit one that had a collar on the back of it but it felt like I would break the plastic opening. There is also no way I would be able to attach the collar from the inside either. But if it is tight enough the collar may not be needed and I'd probably put a little bit of silicone around the edge anyway for water proofing.

I assume this is the place for the Honda 12 volt connector as that is what it looks like?

NC
Yes... I had to take a small half-round file and remove about 1mm for it to fit. That was easy.

The more difficult part is taking the cowling apart to wire it and tighten the plastic shaft nut.

I should also say that it charges my iPhone 7 really fast. For example from starting at 50% up to 100% in about an hour.

Your attitude determines your altitude.

Last edited by Olias; 09-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page