will ecm reset cure speedo and temp readout problems? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

will ecm reset cure speedo and temp readout problems?

The technical expert on the Honda stand at Motorcycle Live said he thought it would. However, I don't think he believed me when I told him that my speedo over-reads by 10% (how did you check it sir) and my outside air temperature meter overreads by 20% (How did you check it sir)
Has anyone with the same problems tried an ECM reset (apparently only the dealer can do it)
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Hi Mike,

Had ECU reset done twice by the dealer but haven't paid much attention on the temp and speed indications.
Will check that for you when it's a bit warmer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM

My bike has had twice ECU reset and both speedometer and Thermo continue giving excessive values. Too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 AM

Garage
Hi all!

Speedo: A plus of around 10% speed is FIX programed within the ECU - so a reset wouldn't help at all.

Possible solution to correct speedo fault(s) = SpeedoHealer or similar devices: https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

Outside Air Temp: Is not influenced by the ECU at all (just a simple sensor on the right side inside the fairing - ECU reset would not help at all.

Best solution: live with the incorrect values or go for an full external temperature reading device.

Cheers, gerhard
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
The technical expert on the Honda stand at Motorcycle Live said he thought it would. However, I don't think he believed me when I told him that my speedo over-reads by 10% (how did you check it sir) and my outside air temperature meter overreads by 20% (How did you check it sir)

Obviously the expert has not been reading this forum, as it is a consistent and known problem. I had ice on the road recently while travelling at 90km/h (Zumo 595 told me 90, AT told me 100) and a AT temp reading of 4 degrees. Not good!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmanuel View Post
Obviously the expert has not been reading this forum, as it is a consistent and known problem. I had ice on the road recently while travelling at 90km/h (Zumo 595 told me 90, AT told me 100) and a AT temp reading of 4 degrees. Not good!
Yeah me too on new year's day.
I suppose I could ask them to replace the sensor under warranty
Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 PM

Speedo error

My speedo shows 72mph while my GPS shows 70. (shows 41-GPS 40) I have not paid any attention above 70. That is just over 2% error on my bike. 10% seems very high. Are you seeing this only on the KMH or on MPH also?

By the way, my GoldWing did the same until I went to a 70 rather than a 60 profile rear tire. Just a little taller tire buy put the speedo dead on. But that won't work on the AT because it reads the speed from the front wheel while the Wing reads through the transmission.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 AM

AT does not read speed from front wheel.

Iíve a Canadian 2017 manual. With TKC80ís the speedo reads 10% high across the range. With a new Mitas E-07 Dakar rear itís only 5% high.

From what I read US bikes are near spot on for speedo accuracy.

ECM reset will not cure Speedo or temp readings.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I had the OEM tyres for 8k miles now Conti's the speedo error has been 9% in both cases.
Mike
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 AM

Garage
Hi All!

To make a long story short.

The speed sensor is positioned on the left top side of the gear box (under the battery housing). This means the sensor is counting the revs of the rear wheel via the "drive chain connection" (this is, as well the reason why a change of the sprocket influences the speedo value displayed).

The speedo count pules ONLY.

Corresponding to the extent of the standard tires this means x turns of the rear wheel are equal to a speed of y.

The ECU now says I take the y and add +10% and display this value as actual speed.

No you could see easily how the speed is measured and why the shown speed is influenced by which tire you have mounted on rear.

Nevertheless, this roughly 10% are always added by the ECU.

Greetings, gerhard
eltel62 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page