New bike dead on day 2. Help! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Will Cheek
  • 1 Post By Nusk450x

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down New bike dead on day 2. Help!

Yesterday I bought my brand new '17 CRF1000L and rode it home 150 miles with multiple stops. Everything was great. Today I'm going to ride it to work but immediately have a problem. I turned on the ignition switch and everything came on as normal. The instant I hit the starter switch everything died. Bike did not turn over and the dash and all lights went out. No response from anything. It seems like it blew a fuse.
I checked:
All fuses under the seat - good
The Main and FI fuses on the right side behind the cylinder - good
The positive battery connection - good
The battery - my smart charger say it's fully charged

The only thing I can think of is the ignition switch is faulty. Seems weird for a brand new bike.

One weird thing is the negative cable when you open the battery box lid is not connected to anything. It has a baggie and a rubber band over it. I assume that's normal? If it was supposed to be connected how was I able to ride home?
Please help I want to ride tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Wasn't April Fool's 19 days ago?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Did you find the Fault
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

The battery wasn’t connected properly.
I don’t understand how the bike ever had power in the first place. The connection that was wrapped in a baggie needed to be grounded to the frame. As soon as I did that the bike powered up as normal. When I first opened the battery lid and saw the connector in a baggie I just assumed that was an auxiliary connection to be used for accessories. It wasn’t until I disconnected the positive terminal and pulled the battery completely out did I realize nothing on the bike was connected to the negative battery terminal.
Like I said, I don’t know how the bike had power in the first place or how I was able to ride it home without issue. The guy prepping bikes at the dealer forgot something important.
Now that is resolved I decided to open the cardboard box my luggage came in. I bought panniers but they gave me a top case instead....🤬 the dealer really screwed up on this one.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cheek View Post
The battery wasnít connected properly.
I donít understand how the bike ever had power in the first place. The connection that was wrapped in a baggie needed to be grounded to the frame. As soon as I did that the bike powered up as normal. When I first opened the battery lid and saw the connector in a baggie I just assumed that was an auxiliary connection to be used for accessories. It wasnít until I disconnected the positive terminal and pulled the battery completely out did I realize nothing on the bike was connected to the negative battery terminal.
Like I said, I donít know how the bike had power in the first place or how I was able to ride it home without issue. The guy prepping bikes at the dealer forgot something important.
Now that is resolved I decided to open the cardboard box my luggage came in. I bought panniers but they gave me a top case instead....🤬 the dealer really screwed up on this one.
Well.. I am guessing that they aren't a Honda Powerhouse dealer?

But seriously man, that is really messed up. I am surprised it started as well and not sure how they missed something rather basic and important during PDI.

Screwing up the pannier order another strike.

Any other Honda dealers nearby? You may want someone who actually knows wtf they are doing to have a look at it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 02:57 AM

Certainly wouldn't be entrusting them to competently carry out any level of servicing or repair to my bike anytime soon. If they can't get the simple things right to start with imagine the outcome after a valve clearance check.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee711 View Post
Certainly wouldn't be entrusting them to competently carry out any level of servicing or repair to my bike anytime soon. If they can't get the simple things right to start with imagine the outcome after a valve clearance check.

workshop staff: I noticed there was a gap between the valves and the cam so I shimmed it to nil clearance perfect...

nek minnit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lee711 likes this.

"I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page