Specific questions about the OEM front wiring connector - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Specific questions about the OEM front wiring connector

I do have the shop manual and searched through the forum but the answers to my concerns are a bit vague, so I'm trying to pick your brains if you have actual hands-on experience.

I've got a 2017 AT DCT that I want to add 2 LED fog lights and a powered USB accessory socket.
It will be 2 circuits, so I will also use this OEM splitter/Sub Harness.
The accessory socket will draw a max of 4.2A (2.1A + 2.1A) to charge a GPS and a phone at the same time.
The light pods I have currently draw 1.5A each (18 Watts) but I might go up to 2.5A (30 Watts). I will install the wiring to support 5 amps or more, for future upgrades.
I will definitely place a relay on the lights circuit.

Questions:

1 - Is that OEM power connector always powered or controlled by the ignition switch? If by ignition switch, does the bike need to be on or does the accessory position power it as well?

2 - What is the correspondent fuse protecting that circuit?

Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Garage
the oem accessory outlet is switched power.
There is a fuse contained within the sub-harness. I believe it is 7.5a. You'll want to be careful not to exceed this because blowing the fuse obviously necessitates a front fairing tear-down.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@mcrag :

Thanks!

But, to confirm because definitions vary a lot: "Switched power" means that it is on with the ignition in the "accessory" (ON) position, right?

There is no visible inline fuse showing in the online images -such as this one- of the OEM sub harness. Even if there was, I'm trying to find where/if the original connector (sans harness) is protected in the fuse box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMoGo View Post
@mcrag :

Thanks!

But, to confirm because definitions vary a lot: "Switched power" means that it is on with the ignition in the "accessory" (ON) position, right?

There is no visible inline fuse showing in the online images -such as this one- of the OEM sub harness. Even if there was, I'm trying to find where/if the original connector (sans harness) is protected in the fuse box.
Yes, switched power is when your ignition is turned on (headlights, fuel pump come on).

See my posts in this thread: https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...ry-socket.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
I think the confusion is due to different kits. In the above thread you are referencing the kit that includes/is for the OEM accessory socket and that, indeed, has an inline fuse. I am talking about the splitter/sub harness alone and it does not have a fuse.

However, that thread was interesting. Post # 4 states "The front accessory plug is fused from the 10a OP fuse under the seat.". That is definitely something I can test once I have time to remove the fairing. A 10A fuse would be perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page