POLL: Lithium-ion Batteries and Battery Tenders - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM

There is a specific charger for the battery in the Africa Twin. its not cheap - but it is available to buy from japan.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23829085.html

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 PM

Using a Battery Tender Jr. that has a lithium setting. Have a lead permanently attacehed to the battery. When I can ride regularly I won’t use it. But when I know the bike will sit for extended time, I leave it connected.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
Using a Battery Tender Jr. that has a lithium setting. Have a lead permanently attacehed to the battery. When I can ride regularly I wonít use it. But when I know the bike will sit for extended time, I leave it connected.

I just connected a Tender Jr to my new 2018 ATAS (painful and somehow lost the negative screw but had a spare). (I have a habit of keeping a tender on my battery and get 8-10 years out of them).

Is it ok to use a regular Tender Jr on this battery?

It just says:
Perfect for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) and safety timer-80 hours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
I just connected a Tender Jr to my new 2018 ATAS (painful and somehow lost the negative screw but had a spare). (I have a habit of keeping a tender on my battery and get 8-10 years out of them).

Is it ok to use a regular Tender Jr on this battery?

It just says:
Perfect for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) and safety timer-80 hours
No, it probably isn't. even slightly OK. Lead acid chargers are designed to deliver high current at low voltage and then taper off to a trickle, whereas a lithium battery at low voltage needs a controlled low current charge until it reaches 12.8V.

Sounds to me like your battery charger is one of the 'clever' ones.. but not clever enough to recognise the battery type. so.. plug it into a Lithium and it will treat it as though its a Lead Acid.. and that could easily end with a destroyed battery that will have to be replaced.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
No, it probably isn't. even slightly OK. Lead acid chargers are designed to deliver high current at low voltage and then taper off to a trickle, whereas a lithium battery at low voltage needs a controlled low current charge until it reaches 12.8V.

Sounds to me like your battery charger is one of the 'clever' ones.. but not clever enough to recognise the battery type. so.. plug it into a Lithium and it will treat it as though its a Lead Acid.. and that could easily end with a destroyed battery that will have to be replaced.
Thanks.... I see Tender makes another that does ALL batteries... best I pick that up.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:15 PM

The original poster had me thinking when he suggested that keeping a lithium battery indoors may be too warm for it.
Honda sell their bikes to countries where temps exceed 34C for months on end and the bikes are ridden in these conditions with the addition of engine heat so I would imagine that the inside of a dwelling with heating on would be unlikely to have any detrimental effect.
I suppose cheap lithium would possibly be dodgy if the quality control was lacking.
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:23 PM

They know heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
Honda sell their bikes to countries where temps exceed 34C for months on end and the bikes are ridden in these conditions with the addition of engine heat so I would imagine that the inside of a dwelling with heating on would be unlikely to have any detrimental effect.
Agreed. And Japan itself regularly exceeds 35C in the summer, so it's not as if Honda is culturally blind to high-temperature environments.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I was just talking about lithium battery storage in general - what I read and found; most of it not specific to motorcycles, just the batteries.

And *ideal* scenarios.

But the takeaway from my research is that these things are fairly bullet proof and amazingly resilient. Thus my idea just to leave the thing alone, not even bother with trickle charging.

The battery on my ATAS is probably the lowest thing on my list for maintenence. I plan to just flat out leave it alone and see how well it behaves over the years (maybe disconnect the neg. lead for winter storage). I'm guessing the difference between going crazy and storing away from the bike in ideal temps at ideal charge levels makes little real measurable difference. But that's just me.

Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
The battery on my ATAS is probably the lowest thing on my list for maintenence. I plan to just flat out leave it alone and see how well it behaves over the years (maybe disconnect the neg. lead for winter storage).

Gary
Be interesting to see how the European bikes deal with the winter hibernation considering that they come equpped with an immobiliser, which I presume is active and (also assume) places a small drain on the battery. If after 20 weeks of not being touched the bike fires up without undue extra effort, there's your answer.

I believe this immobiliser isn't standard in the US.?

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
Be interesting to see how the European bikes deal with the winter hibernation considering that they come equpped with an immobiliser, which I presume is active and (also assume) places a small drain on the battery. If after 20 weeks of not being touched the bike fires up without undue extra effort, there's your answer.

I believe this immobiliser isn't standard in the US.?
If you're worried about any draw on the battery, just disconnect the neg. lead - as I did this winter and intend to do - as my only battery routine for foreseeable future.

It takes just a few minutes--the battery is so easily accessible.

Personally, I'd play it safe and disconnect it.

Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in