POLL: Lithium-ion Batteries and Battery Tenders - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 AM

I'm not worried at all... This winter, here in my part of the U.K., we had snow that lasted 2 days, all winter. I've lived in this house 18yrs and in all that time the longest I've been off the road due to snow was an 11 day stretch. I was thinking about countries elsewhere in Europe that become snowbound for months at a time, or Scandinavia.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 AM

The immobiliser does have a small draw on the battery but the most certain way to kill a battery is to have USB power supplies that are not disabled when the ignition is off, constantly converts voltage and can deplete a battery in under a week.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
I'm not worried at all... This winter, here in my part of the U.K., we had snow that lasted 2 days, all winter. I've lived in this house 18yrs and in all that time the longest I've been off the road due to snow was an 11 day stretch. I was thinking about countries elsewhere in Europe that become snowbound for months at a time, or Scandinavia.
Guess it wasn't obvious, but what I meant was, "If 'one' is worried about any draw on the battery."

But for me, it's not just snow that keeps me off my bike. It's cold weather too, and rain. Just not into riding in the cold or wet anymore. And with the wild winters we've been having around here lately, snow, sleet, cold cold cold, I'm off the bike for closer to 4 months or more in the winter. I'm an unapologetic fair-weather rider.

I just recently did my first startup since mid-November, the bike nearly 5 months sitting. For winter storage all I did was top off the tank, added a few ounces of stabilizer and pretty much left the battery alone. (I left it alone for the first two months, then bought the trickle charger and finally did connect the charger, figuring, why not? But I noticed the battery showed topped-off within minutes... so, I removed the charger and just let the bike sit with the battery's neg. term disconnected. I reconnected the neg. term but I did NOT top off the battery with the charger prior to first start. The bike started up like I'd just ridden it yesterday--no extended turnover, no lag, nada - not a single issue or problem; started up and purred like a kitten. Yes, it's only a year old, but still, the battery was perfectly fine going nearly five months idle.

I'm going to do the same next year. No charger. Just disconnect the neg. lead and reconnect at the end of the winter and see how she starts up. And I'll keep doing it until the battery finally eventually fails... how many years will that be? We'll see.

But all my reading on these fantastic lithium-ion batteries leads me to believe there are pros and cons to using trickle chargers on them. And it seems to me, there may be more cons than pros. If you're fanatical about it, and want to squeeze every last start out of these batteries, from what I've read, it involves partially discharging and storing indoors (or at a certain temp range). But I'm not fanatical. And I'm guessing that gets you maybe a few months more from the battery when all is said and done. I could be wrong and I'd love to compare my results to anyone who is doing something else: using a trickle charger every winter? Partially discharging and storing indoors?

Time will tell. Ride safe, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 PM

So on my 2019 Atas it comes stock from the factory with the connection for a battery tender installed. Sounds like a regular battery tender may not be good for the battery?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
So on my 2019 Atas it comes stock from the factory with the connection for a battery tender installed. Sounds like a regular battery tender may not be good for the battery?
Could you post a photograph of it?

personally.. i would only use a Lithium specific charger.. minder. but so far there hasn't been any need for one. No stsrting problems at all.

If the ABS unit is from Bosch (or of a similar design).. then as part of its start-up it will perform a battery diagnostic check. so should give a warning that the battery isn't perfect, by not turning off the indicator symbol on the dash. This is generally the first symptom of a faulty battery and happens usually before actual engine start issues develop.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
That's correct, using a "dumb" battery tender not designed for li-on batteries will shorten its lifespan considerably. Dealer installed a battery tender lead on mine as well, but I removed it shortly after. This past winter my bike sat in a non-climate controlled garage for about four months, with two small rides squeezed in in the middle when it got above freezing and it didn't have any trouble starting up for either of the rides, or when I brought it out of hibernation. Temperatures were between about 10F and 30F in the garage the majority of the time.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Even though I thought it was factory , the dealer may have put it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA8D7FF0-7059-411B-BBBD-B0685FBC01EA_1560948924146.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	48979  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:17 PM

I live in central Texas. Today was the first one in 3 days where there wasn't ice all over my porch - but it's normally warmer. The longest bouts of freezing weather we have is 2 or 3 weeks. The problem is that when we do have it - we have ice rather than snow. I'll ride on snow - but I'll take the truck when there's ice...
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:55 AM

Garage
Well I looked into actually asking the manufacturer of these batteries ( https://www.eliiypower.co.jp/english/contact/index.html ) but for some reason they donít do email you can however call them but Iím not sure of language issues.. ANYONE fluent in English and Japanese?

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in