12v OEM Accessory Socket - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Interesting Roy. Thanks for this info. So is the fuse on the recent bikes more accessible too?
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
Yes in a way. I think you have to only remove the left side panel is all.
Yes, they moved the 12V socket connection on the left side, behind the fairing in the upper zone. The 4-pin option connector behind the instrument panel is still there, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Angry

In my view there was nothing easy about the installation of the 12V socket, from Honda. I have a 2017 model, and its just as well that I have a degree in Quantum Physics, because it came in hand in the removal of the outer and inner fairing. Additionally, my experience as a Micro Surgeon came in handy, as I tried to access the connectors under the display. Probably took me ~ 4hrs time, but admittedly that did include installation of Baja Designs LED Squadron Lights. Not a fun job :frown2
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Yes, they moved the 12V socket connection on the left side, behind the fairing in the upper zone. The 4-pin option connector behind the instrument panel is still there, anyway.
The 4 pin plug is Sumitomo HM 090. What type of plug is the new one on the left side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DardyRob View Post
The 4 pin plug is Sumitomo HM 090. What type of plug is the new one on the left side?
Unfortunately I could not identify it. I used the one behind the instrument panel, anyway.
DardyRob likes this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
And surely the other point that needs making is that the fuse (a piddly 2amp by the way) is buried behind all that plastic. So if you do blow it while you are out on a tour you’ve got a **** of a job to replace it. And also, I think my iPhone which is also my satnav needs 2.5 amps for fast charging (but probably wouldn’t blow the fuse by attempting to draw that much)
Many of us have fitted eastern Beaver harnesses under the seat (so the fuses are accessible). Mine currently has my Koso grips, my warmnsafe pigtail, and the 12v socket running off it. The kosos and socket are on the two switched outputs and the warmnsafe plug is on permanent. That way I can use that pigtail for a battery optimiser (but haven’t had to so far in 2 years)
Mike
Hi Mike,
What fuse did you use for the 12v? The 15A? That’s what i did because I have the 12v and my 40w spot lights running off the same lead with a splitter. 15a enough for most air compressors right? I’ll probbaly turn off the spots though when I need to use the compressor just in case

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 PM

So just bought n new 2017 AT and want to add some power ports. after reading this thread I'm a little confused about how to go about it. The OEM has a Y that I assume is for a second port? I will want to use to charge my phone and possibly a GPS at a later date. Should I go ahead and order the OEM unit or hard wire to battery and leave live?
Not an electrician so I'm asking for advise.

Thx
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 AM

I put a generic 12v socket on my bike and ran wires from the Eastern Beaver PC-8 under the seat. It was pretty quick & easy, not 10 minutes but it didn't take too much (under 1 hour, I think) to remove some plastics and run the wire. I've plugged a 12v charger for my drone batteries into the socket and charged 2 drone batteries placed in my tank bag - worked very well. I also added a couple of USB sockets which I use for charging the phone (while using it for GPS navigation) and charging a power bank that I put in my tank bag.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuono07 View Post
So just bought n new 2017 AT and want to add some power ports. after reading this thread I'm a little confused about how to go about it. The OEM has a Y that I assume is for a second port? I will want to use to charge my phone and possibly a GPS at a later date. Should I go ahead and order the OEM unit or hard wire to battery and leave live?
Not an electrician so I'm asking for advise.
Thx
I would not connect directly to the battery, use switched power.
You can do your own cabling starting from the option socket behind the instrument cluster: 12V + GPS power; in this case you only need the OEM connector (https://ruggedroads.co.uk/4-Way-OEM-...roof-Connector) and then you do the cabling (you'll also need a generic 12V socket).
Or you can install "OEM way", buying the 12V socket kit and the "sub harness kit" (Y cable) which will allow to power a second accessory (GPS). In this case you still need an OEM 4-way connector if you want a "clean" cabling (or you'll cut the Y cable and connect directly the GPS power wires).

Last edited by deltabi; 05-15-2019 at 03:45 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Does anyone know how to contact the guy from eastern beaver power supply company? I placed an order over a week ago and have heard nothing from him and his website has no contact info that I can find. I paid through paypal so I have confirmation that he received my money. Thanks for any help.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
His contact info is on his website - https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Compa...t/contact.html

'17 Africa Twin, '82 MB5, '78 XL250s, '72 CB350K4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page