12v OEM Accessory Socket - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

12v OEM Accessory Socket

So after a quick search Ive not found anyone talking about the simplicity of fitting the OEM 12v accessory socket and the minimal cost. Forgive me if this is common knowledge but the socket costs circa £15 from and dealer. Removing the left side fairing takes 5 mins. This is plug and play. The feed socket is already available. 10 mins and £15 and you’re sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 AM

Are you asking a question, or stating a fact?

I think many people installed other 12v sockets since they needed more wattage than what the stock socket supplies. I've got the stock socket installed (by previous owner) and it works fine to charge my mobile phone. But if you want to plug in an air compressor or other appliance which requires more watts (I can't remember the nominal amount), you'd need a different socket.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.", Burt Munro.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikodi View Post
So after a quick search Ive not found anyone talking about the simplicity of fitting the OEM 12v accessory socket and the minimal cost. Forgive me if this is common knowledge but the socket costs circa £15 from and dealer. Removing the left side fairing takes 5 mins. This is plug and play. The feed socket is already available. 10 mins and £15 and youíre sorted.
There is nothing simple or easy to install this accessory socket. First you must field strip the entire front of the bike to access the readily available plug. You might get one of the side fairing off in five minutes if you've done it a couple of times before, but if this is your first time to go under covers, expect a couple of hours. You can also buy an after market plug assembly for about half the Honda price Pounds or Dollars.

Later, Bud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM

And surely the other point that needs making is that the fuse (a piddly 2amp by the way) is buried behind all that plastic. So if you do blow it while you are out on a tour you’ve got a **** of a job to replace it. And also, I think my iPhone which is also my satnav needs 2.5 amps for fast charging (but probably wouldn’t blow the fuse by attempting to draw that much)
Many of us have fitted eastern Beaver harnesses under the seat (so the fuses are accessible). Mine currently has my Koso grips, my warmnsafe pigtail, and the 12v socket running off it. The kosos and socket are on the two switched outputs and the warmnsafe plug is on permanent. That way I can use that pigtail for a battery optimiser (but haven’t had to so far in 2 years)
Mike
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Yes. For my purposes the socket that came already installed on my Adventure Sport is a complete waste of time. It simply cannot cope with the items I want to power. I am forced to fit another.. Direct to the battery, Always live with a 15A fuse. And I'll be doing that fairly soon.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Ha, I didn't actually think of the rating of the socket. I only wanted it for phone or camera charging. Oops. The OEM socket is only £15 from Honda which is pretty reasonable - I guess if you've stripped it down to access the OEM fitting point then just as easy to run a relay and mains feed and avoid the factory wiring. 2amp is pretty pointless - not something I checked unfortunately.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 AM

18 and newer bikes are easier to install the oem socket. Honda revised the harness and plug in location. Plus it cost less for the newer bikes. It was a pain in the ass to install on my 17. The whole front end of the bike had to come apart to access the hidden plug in behind the gauges. Mine said 2 amp rated on the provided warning sticker but it had a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse holder on the provided harness. I'm not about to test that out because if the fuse pops I'll have to take to whole bike apart again to access the fuse location. Stupid design on the 16-17 model bikes IMO.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
18 and newer bikes are easier to install the oem socket. Honda revised the harness and plug in location. Plus it cost less for the newer bikes. It was a pain in the ass to install on my 17. The whole front end of the bike had to come apart to access the hidden plug in behind the gauges. Mine said 2 amp rated on the provided warning sticker but it had a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse holder on the provided harness. I'm not about to test that out because if the fuse pops I'll have to take to whole bike apart again to access the fuse location. Stupid design on the 16-17 model bikes IMO.
Interesting Roy. Thanks for this info. So is the fuse on the recent bikes more accessible too?
Mike
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Interesting Roy. Thanks for this info. So is the fuse on the recent bikes more accessible too?
Mike
Yes in a way. I think you have to only remove the left side panel is all.
Miked6631 likes this.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:24 PM

I think Honda was almost forced to change how it was installed. When I first bought the bike and before reading this great forum and deciding to do it myself connected to the 3cs with a 15a fuse, I asked the dealer how much to add it on. He quoted 20 for the socket, 2 hours,!!! Of labour oh and also said Iíd need the splitter, which I now know isnít true(unless adding something else). Total cost about £200! I just laughed at him and said no thanks.
So maybe even the dealers told Honda they had to sort it out. Maybe if it was 30 min and half the cost I would have accepted, small business is better than no business

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page