Stator output - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stator output

Just looking for info on the electrical systems ability to handle the extras, like heated clothing, grips and so on.
I've searched online, no info so far on the stators output and at what revs.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
According to this thread, output is 490w @ 5,000 rpm.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...-asking-5.html

~ CRF1000L / KTM 200 XC-W / KTM 450 XC-W

Last edited by kwb377; 03-04-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:57 PM

max 490watts / 35- 40amps depending on voltage, 37amps @ 13vdc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:14 PM

That's great but what does the bike need to run? What ever is left over from the total is the real number
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I just transitioned to the AT from my KLR, I upgraded that bike to a 280 watt stator years ago, and ran heated vest, grips and extra lights regularly with no ill effects.
Now, that machine used between 126 to 139 watts just to run, depending on headlight draw (high beam, low beam) and of course was a Thumper as opposed to a twin, so there's more needed just to run the thing.
But based on my experience, and with LED headlamps, I'm thinking there will be plenty of reserve power for the heated stuff like a vest and gloves on the AT.
But it looks like the R/R is a old style shunt? If so, one has to wonder what the **** Honda was thinking.
I upgraded the KLR to a Mosfet R/R when I did the stator, mainly because the KLR was famous (infamous?) for frying batteries.
Incidentally, after that upgrade, I installed an AGM battery and used a Tender regularly on it, it lasted 7 years!
Guess I'll be doing testing when the weather warms, just to get an idea of output at lower RPM's
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays0n View Post
That's great but what does the bike need to run? What ever is left over from the total is the real number
There are no specs on that that I can find, put an amp meter on & check with everything electrical on is the only way you will really know
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I've done a bunch of research on various bike electrical systems, and compared with similar machines (twin cylinder, same year production, and so on) and have concluded that the APPROXIMATE running 'load' of the machine is around 250 watts, give or take due to high/low beam and added lights. It should be lower due to LED headlights on the AT, but the info there is approximate too, so I'm figuring around 225 watts at the minimum. The info on the DL 1000 was 2016, so no LED's from the manufacturer.
If the bike is making around 375 watts at around 3500 RPM or so, this should be fine for road work and heated gear.
However, it might be advisable to switch back and forth if low speed commuting.
My old KLR had an Electrosport 280 watt stator that did fine with my heated grips, gloves and vest at street speeds of 35-45 MPH, but the monitor showed I was in the 'yellow' range (12 to 12.7 volts) most of the time, and switching off the heated grips would put it back in the 'green' (12.8-13.4).
That combination used approx. 125 watts, so I was pushing it.
Until I can do real world testing, That's as close as I can get. But with LED headlights (headlights are THE biggest load on a bike, usually) and with the stated output from Honda, I thing the stator is going to be more than enough for most any rider. But again, the output varies with RPM, and manufacturers tend to go with high RPM's for their outputs.
It's interesting to note that Electrosport has nothing for this bike, possibly because there is no need.
deltabi likes this.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 PM

I believe you're overestimating the power need of the bike - but it's rather a guesstimate than anything else.

I also could not find the headlight details for the AT, but the 2019 CB500x which has similar LED lights, is stated to consume 4.8w and 12W in low and High light modes respectively. (ref: https://www.thunderroad.co.uk/new_bike/2019-cb500x/)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well then, Lovely!
However, as I pointed out, my old KLR was between 126 and 139 watts, and that was a single cylinder. So what is the additional load of a Twin? I won't know until I pipe into the electrical and check it as I ride, which is what I did on the KLR.
Now, if you're correct, and I really hope you are, I won't have to do a **** thing but wire up my toys and enjoy the ride, right? Again, Lovely.
Trust me, having to buy a stator, install it and hope they got it right is a PITA. And I would also point out that the manufacturers ALWAYS overrate their systems, not to mention their stats are at stupidly high RPM's.
The KLR on paper was OK, but in real world LOW RPM riding on technical trails, you would eat up your battery trying to stay warm in the fall or spring riding seasons.
On a side note, I picked up the bike, and of course went to wire it for a Tender and my heated gear.
OMG! that battery SUCKS for location and access.
So, I tapped into ya'll and your info, and found our old friend Eastern Beaver, referenced. Used his stuff on the KLR.
PC 8 on the way.
I love these owner forums, Dual Sport people are tops!
I'm so stoked!
Bookem and VaraderoTwin like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:13 AM

You are overthinking it. Just connect your stuff the the Eastern Beaver and ride. Don't recall on this or other forums any reports of insufficient power.
I've got Denali Aux lights, heated grips, heated jacket, GPS and Power socket charging things. No issue.
Unless you are running heated pants, jacket, gloves and full Aux lights whilst idling at Starbucks charging laptops and cameras you won't have a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page