OEM Heted Grips + OEM 12V Socket + GPS Install - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

OEM Heted Grips + OEM 12V Socket + GPS Install

OK, I'm royally confused, can someone please help straighten out what I thought I knew?

I have the OEM Heated grips installed, and I have the OEM Accessory socket installed.

I THOUGHT that install created an available 4-way socket I could wire a switched GPS to?

I purchased the 4-way connector from Rugged Roads, but I NOW I THINK I also need the "Sub Harness".

I may add the OEM lights eventually, should I just take the GPS to the under seat power socket? Do I need 4-way or 6 way now?

In the end I want a nice clean install using nothing but OEM connectors and factory locations?

What advice does the group have for me?

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 AM

Garage
Depending on the model year you have (16-17 vs 18-) the accessory socket can be connected to the front option connector (MY16-17) or directly to the main loom (MY18-).
The front option connector (the one behind the instrument panel) is there even for MY18-, difference is that in the first case you'll need the "sub harness" to get a free connector to be used with the GPS. In the second case (MY18-) you don't need the sub harness as the front option connector is available.
If you plan to add OEM lights, then the front option connector will be used by them, too (just for the fog light indicator in the dash). So again, you'll need the sub harness.

In short, if you plan to add the OEM fog lights AND you have a MY16-17, I would NOT use the front option connector for the GPS. To power it, if you want to use factory locations only, you can connect to the rear option connector (6-way).

However, if you decide to use non-OEM fog light you can build a custom cabling to power both GPS and lights from the front option connector, using OEM connectors and having, in this way, even the fog light indicator on the dash when you power on the auxiliary lights. This is what I did.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

deltabi thank you for the reply.

So I have a MY 2016 AT. I have factory grips, and factory 12V socket already installed.
So right now I have no available option connectors for any additional items.

If I add a sub harness, I can then add the GPS.
However, this leaves me without the ability to then add the OEM fog lights.

Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
@Afrika2 :
Yes, that's correct.
Actually if you add the OEM fog lights when you don't have the front option connector available, I believe you only loose the fog light indicator on the dash, because the lights get power from the LED controller (placed under the seat, I think). Alternatively, like I did, you can mount some other fog lights using a custom cabling (with the OEM 4 way connector).
Remember that the OEM fog lights need the OEM bars which are NOT really crash bars.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
I'd suggest you consider fitting an Eastern Beaver PC-8 (fused power distribution unit) under the seat and you'll have loads of options for powering anything in future, with the added benefit of being able to access it, and associated fuses, very easily should you ever need to.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Go for a Eastern Beaver PC-8 under the seat. It's a great option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page