Electric Control Module - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Electric Control Module

My 2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT has been in the dealership for a month now. When you come to a stop the gearing goes to natural position, and you go nowhere’s. If you turn the engine off for about thirty minutes, all works perfect until you come to the next stop. The dealership have done everything from putting in a new battery, changing the shifting motor, to changing the oil. No luck. They now want to put in a electric control module. The problem comes in is that even if it is not the problem, Honda will not let them return any electric part. So, if it does not work, I still get to pay $1200 for the module.
I can not blame the dealership as they have honestly been trying. What upsets me is the lack of support that Honda Technical is giving the dealership. I even wrote Honda, and got a return phone call from Honda telling me that the unit was out of warranty and Honda was not responsible and had no obligation . Seems like they could send some kind to tech person to help to help the dealership, as none of the dealerships phone calls to Honda Tech have been of any success.

Anyone have any ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:34 PM

Lots of folks are getting shut down by the Multi billion dollar company, all for different things on the AT. They just say "its within spec" or "out of warranty....to bad sucker". Me thinks that the almighty CORPORATE GREED virus has spread world wide.....in EVERY company.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Old Can Ride likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobb View Post
Me thinks that the almighty CORPORATE GREED virus has spread world wide.....in EVERY company.
I agree 100%. Publicly traded companies only care about share holder profits.
MrRobb likes this.

18 AT AS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 AM

The bike is 4 years old. How far beyond the warranty period do you guys expect a company to provide free service? When they draw the line they are just greedy? Gimme a break.

To 'Old Can Ride' -- The solution is to find another Africa Twin to use for some part swapping. I don't know if the ECM is specific to 2016 models or if it spans a few years but the dealer could check part numbers. If the dealer has one on their lot convince them to use it as a temporary donor. Maybe a local rider or another local dealer has one that could be made available.

Unfortunately, these days we have overly complicated vehicles. The old shade tree method of swapping parts until the problem goes away can be more efficient than any other diagnosis.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was not asking Honda to pay or warranty anything. Just think that Honda Technical should offer a little verbal help, but none now days. I was a Honda dealer for almost 20 years, and back then Honda Tech would try and help by phone on these kind of problems when no one had an answer at the dealership. A few times Honda even sent a factory tech to my dealership to help out when we could not figure out a problem. Now that Mr. Honda is dead and attorneys run Honda, all is so much different........... Yes, the unit is quite unit specific and we can not find a dealership close that has one who will do any part swapping. I, nor the dealership (one of Honda’s oldest dealerships) has an answer....... And yes, I am Honda Pro certified and so is the tech at the dealership.......... Just in my 70’s now, and not so easy to lay down and fix stuff.....
Marcoma likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
This sort of story does make the Honda Care Protection Plan for coverage a worthwhile consideration since it costs less than that module for up to 5 years, unlimited miles coverage.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
I was not asking Honda to pay or warranty anything. Just think that Honda Technical should offer a little verbal help, but none now days. I was a Honda dealer for almost 20 years, and back then Honda Tech would try and help by phone on these kind of problems when no one had an answer at the dealership. A few times Honda even sent a factory tech to my dealership to help out when we could not figure out a problem. Now that Mr. Honda is dead and attorneys run Honda, all is so much different........... Yes, the unit is quite unit specific and we can not find a dealership close that has one who will do any part swapping. I, nor the dealership (one of Honda’s oldest dealerships) has an answer....... And yes, I am Honda Pro certified and so is the tech at the dealership.......... Just in my 70’s now, and not so easy to lay down and fix stuff.....
Gotcha. Years ago I was in a similar situation with the wife's Prius. Local dealer couldn't diagnose the problem. Help from Toyota technical support had them replacing one thing after another - at my cost. Eventually they found the failing component. The whole fiasco cost me about $5K. If they had guessed right on the first component replaced it would have only been $2K. It wouldn't be that hard for dealer tech support folks to have a pool of known good spares to assist the dealers in diagnosing computerized systems.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCycle View Post
The bike is 4 years old. How far beyond the warranty period do you guys expect a company to provide free service? When they draw the line they are just greedy? Gimme a break.

To 'Old Can Ride' -- The solution is to find another Africa Twin to use for some part swapping. I don't know if the ECM is specific to 2016 models or if it spans a few years but the dealer could check part numbers. If the dealer has one on their lot convince them to use it as a temporary donor. Maybe a local rider or another local dealer has one that could be made available.

Unfortunately, these days we have overly complicated vehicles. The old shade tree method of swapping parts until the problem goes away can be more efficient than any other diagnosis.
So car companies can offer 3,4,5 year or 100,000 mile warranties, and stand behind their product a little while and motorcycle companies don't have the balls to. Ok. Gotcha.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
So car companies can offer 3,4,5 year or 100,000 mile warranties, and stand behind their product a little while and motorcycle companies don't have the balls to. Ok. Gotcha.

It's got nothing to do with balls and everything to do with being competitive in their own market.

If a car company only had a 1 year warranty how many cars would they sell? Yeah, not many because all the competition would be offering a lot more.
Motorcycle companies are no different but they are competing against each other. Where is the incentive for any of them to offer a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty?

Of course, Honda does have the balls to offer a 5 year warranty to anyone who has the balls to pay for it.
MrRobb likes this.

Last edited by ProCycle; 07-29-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:

You can buy a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty for your Honda motorcycle if you choose to, but they don't offer it standard, for a number of reasons. ProCycle hit on one of them, nobody else is doing 5 years standard. I would guess price point, the average length of motorcycle ownership, wear and tear (how many times have you dropped your car in a parking lot?) and other factors play into this decision. But ProCycle probably hit the main one. If Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha increased their standard warranty to 4 years, others would surely follow.

But not all manufacturers will even offer OEM unlimited mileage warranties up to 5 years.
ProCycle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page