Live a few years more.... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By AT-Dragon
  • 1 Post By noivson

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Live a few years more....

I love lights, 3 sets for now and a 8Ē single light bar on the way...
I installed the OEM fog switch. No problems, well other than the PITA fairing disassembly. When I ordered the OEM switch I got two.... Yes, it was destined for the ďslotĒ on the left of the stock switch. Well today, and when I say today I mean pretty much the whole day I installed a SECOND oem switch next to my other OEM switch. Let me warn you! DONíT DO IT! It was One plastic fab - grinding - plastic grinding - wire moving PITA. Iím guessing it took a couple years off my life, but itís done. Oh yea I did make them lighted too just to up the degree of difficulty... so yes it barely can be done, but it is one tight fit and a bit of grinding and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT. Next Iíll see if I can light up the G & ABS buttons, after I get and hook up the new light bar...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	50019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3855.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	50021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	50023  
AdvArt, RayCollington and noivson like this.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 08-31-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 PM

Garage
Good on ya! Me, I just dangled the GPS wires in a coil. (G)

Sun was shining about 1 this afternoon, Farkles installed. Going to show off Beast. #%$^&@ DCT won't engage D. Tried resetting known forum fixes.....
So with 167 miles on the ODO.....fish out of water.....boat anchor......But it looks good! [
AdvArt likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noivson View Post
Good on ya! Me, I just dangled the GPS wires in a coil. (G)

Sun was shining about 1 this afternoon, Farkles installed. Going to show off Beast. #%$^&@ DCT won't engage D. Tried resetting known forum fixes.....
So with 167 miles on the ODO.....fish out of water.....boat anchor......But it looks good! [
Probably being Captain Obvious here but....
OEM center stand or side stand issue, Iíve thought a couple of times that I might just bypass it just for that reason..

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:18 AM

Garage
Thanks for the reply but Center Stand is Mechanical, no sensors or switches. Side Stand will not kill engine when running..so might be sumpin' there..... always open to suggestions....rotating switch
has no effect, lights, horn flashers, fuses all are good. Rain tomorrow again to its Honey Do List then garage time
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply but Center Stand is Mechanical, no sensors or switches. Side Stand will not kill engine when running..so might be sumpin' there..... always open to suggestions....rotating switch
has no effect, lights, horn flashers, fuses all are good. Rain tomorrow again to its Honey Do List then garage time
When i first got her I was sitting on it with it running and the side stand was down and I was just going to scroll through the different modes, just to see what I could adjust and the settings. Thatís when I found out that Honda will NOT let you put it in any drive mode/gear with the side stand down. But for a min I did have a WTF moment... Also Iíll add to this conversation another WTF courtesy of Honda; IF the locking clasp on your seat is NOT fully engaged (seat not locked properly) the ďCheck EngineĒ light will come on Thanks Honda!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:40 AM

Putting the side stand down will kill the engine if it's in gear. It will not go into gear with it down.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I imagine you already tried switching the gears up and down using the switch, but you might try going up and down, then putting it into N and shutting it off and back on.
Did you try rolling it forward about 10 feet? Try blipping the throttle up to about 3k rpm and then letting it drop back on it's own? The next thing I would try would be to reset the ECM. Most bikes you pull the main fuse for a second - but on my ATAS I think it's easier to disconnect the battery for a second (it's in the little black plastic box on the lower left side. The main fuse is in the same spot but in the right side.

Is it idling high? It won't engage if it's idling high.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Garage
Thanks for the reply Robert. Have worked through resetting the ECM, DCT etc. I'm leaning on the placement of the sensor. 3rd time checking the side stand switch noticed it rotates almost 360. Any one know the polarity of said 'tab' on the switch itself? Have both a 3lb. and 5lb. Hammer, which one?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Robert. Have worked through resetting the ECM, DCT etc. I'm leaning on the placement of the sensor. 3rd time checking the side stand switch noticed it rotates almost 360. Any one know the polarity of said 'tab' on the switch itself? Have both a 3lb. and 5lb. Hammer, which one?
Personally Iíd go with the 5# and a few choice words as Iím swinging it
Yea the side stand switch is kinda tricky ó it will let you start the bike when itís down - it will kill the bike if you put it down WHILE itís running - and keep you from putting it in gear if it down....
the things kinda pain in the arse.

Normally a switch doesnít matter on polarity. But I could check the schematics if you want..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page