Lithium battery dying after 7days - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Lithium battery dying after 7days

2019 AT DCT, 4 months old, 800 miles, only had the bike for 1 month, and when left for 1 week without use the battery is flat.
After linking up to an Lithium Optimate, it charges, tests, then maintains. Disconnect it, and itís flat again after a week.?
Bike has a Datatool Adventure Tracker fitted from new, also running aux lights, sat nav feed and the auxiliary power adaptor in the dash all connected with an Eastern Beaver cs3.
Is this symptom normal ?
(Before i start investigating )

* I have a 6 month old Super Cub 125 which has spent half its life in the dealers with various part changes with same problem..
Flat after a week !
Just switched to new Hondaís, starting to regret it, never had this problem with Ducatiís and Yamahas.... Grrrrrrrrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Either the battery is faulty. or you have something draining it. For all i know that could be the tracker. I don't know much about electrics but it seems to be more likely a drain than a faulty battery.

With zero drain the battery should lose 1% of its charge per month.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
Either the battery is faulty. or you have something draining it. For all i know that could be the tracker. I don't know much about electrics but it seems to be more likely a drain than a faulty battery.

With zero drain the battery should lose 1% of its charge per month.
Agreed, something is vampiring your battery a tedious find that will be too, good luck.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Garage
Battery draining, it looks.
Simple test: disconnect the Datatool Adventure Tracker, the most probable guilty. Also be sure no USB socket is always powered on: even if no accessory is connected to them they will consume some milli-Ampere anyway.

Last edited by deltabi; 10-29-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 PM

....or go back to the dealer, if it was they who fitted this kit?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 AM

User or installer error. You have a constant power draw from one of your add-ons.
Is your Eastern Beaver CS3 with all switched or one unswitched?Watch what you connect to the unswitched.
I use the unswitched for SAE plug - battery charger, USB phone charger etc.
Switched is for Denali lights and dash power socket.
For GPS I tapped into the honda plug behind the windscreen with Eastern Beaver harness.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:08 PM

I have exactly the same problem and it would appear that the tracker is dragging too much from the battery. They have done an upgrade to the software for the tracker but doesnt seem to make any difference . I am having a drop test on the battery to see if it useless after being drained by the tracker.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tom Thompson View Post
I have exactly the same problem and it would appear that the tracker is dragging too much from the battery. They have done an upgrade to the software for the tracker but doesnt seem to make any difference . I am having a drop test on the battery to see if it useless after being drained by the tracker.
I called Datatool, explained that we donít get a phone signal where I live, and could it be that the Tracker is constantly searching for a signal and not going to sleep? .... they said they would re program the Tracker , i then needed to start the bike and ride 4 miles to get a phone signal, which allowed the message to the Tracker to be downloaded.
No difference, bike started to loose approx 1 volt per day after 3 days its at 11.8 v ( which for a Lithium battery is declared 0% SOC , flat.....however bike started up ok ?.
Will check voltage again this morning and give them a call.
If no joy plan is to
1) charge battery again with Optimate Lithium charger, disconnect battery earth from bike and monitor daily discharge.
This will confirm if itís battery or bike.
If battery...... back to Honda with warranty claim
If bike, recharge battery and reconnect but removing earth lead to Eastern beaver set up.
This should prove / disprove Eastern. Eager set up is ok?
* would I need to disconnect the connector under rear seat which is connected to eastern beaver ( relay?) ??
Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
User or installer error. You have a constant power draw from one of your add-ons.
Is your Eastern Beaver CS3 with all switched or one unswitched?Watch what you connect to the unswitched.
I use the unswitched for SAE plug - battery charger, USB phone charger etc.
Switched is for Denali lights and dash power socket.
For GPS I tapped into the honda plug behind the windscreen with Eastern Beaver harness.
Sorry, eastern beaver is all switched
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

contacted datatool this morning, they said the download they sent has not been acknowledged by the bike, seems I should have switched the bike off ( when I had a signal) then restarted.... grrrrr wish they had told me that on Monday !
So itís raining so not going out to re boot it.... (and the batteries flat &#128577

Good news, dealer has just dropped off my Cub after it had battery issues, they have changed the ECU, ignition switch ( with new keys) and hopefully this ones sorted......
I know I have been unlucky with these 2 2019 Hondas and I will get things sorted....
But......I will be returning to Yamaha.... ASAP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page