Cluster TFT screen substitution - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 AM

The only thing I ever check is the temperature. Doesn't change very fast, so I'm usually good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Is there not a more simple solution like an anti-glare stick on shield or something? I have the 2018, and it is pretty bad when the sun is in front of the bike, like the others have said. It really should be totally visible at a glance.
I'm always amazed at how engineers and designers can build magnificent machines and devices and whatever, and yet fail at some level. The dash and the battery (location/accessibility) on the AT. Both are a total FAIL IMO, on an otherwise magnificent bike.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 08:07 PM

I've got the Camel screen brace with a pair of Quad Lock mounts left and right of it. I have a Samsung S8 and an S9 that I carry (work and personal phones) - and I had them both mounted during a ride so I could charge them. I was using one as a GPS and speedometer - and the other for music (bluetooth connected to my helmet chatterbox). The screen on my ATAS is similar enough in shape and size that it looked as though I had a dash with 3 screens (other people on the ride were surprisingly impressed). I normally ride with a helmet visor but no face shield - and only have a glare when riding right into the sun - but that is the sun, not the dash. When I dip my head down to cover the sun with my visor - then I can see the dash and my phones fine.

I'm fine with the ATAS battery too - maybe the AT is different? Now changing their filter - that is where I think someone needs to slap the people who designed that setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
The question is simple: does anyone know if we could possibly substitute the LCD screen with a TFT one, using the same PCB, showing the exact same info?
Why do you think the TFT would not have the same problem with reflections?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
It is not only the reflections. It is also the intensity. The TFT screens offer much higher intensity, and furthermore, theoretically I could set it up to have a positive display, meaning black characters on white background. This will be definitely more visible.

Having said that, another solution is to change the polarising filter on the existing LCD screen to make it positive....
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
The TFT is an active device, while the LCD is a passive device: it does not produce light. The light produced by the TFT should be largely enough to compensate for any reflections.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 06:03 AM

There are different TFT screens. In example, most of the older GPS devices by garmin don't have backlight enough to be read easily under direct sunlight. Meanwhile the 276Cx version has an amazingly bright screen.
My 2011 car has an older TFT screen wich is covered by something like the 2018's ATs. The newer models don't need that hood as they are much brighter.
But still, no matter how much light a TFT can emit, it will never be as bright as the sun. So they will be difficult to read under some particular circumstances. On the other hand, the dash on my 2018 ATAS is difficult to read under almost every circumstance.

Going back to the original post, I know it's difficult (for me) an expensive (for me too). But in the same way chinese manufacturers build android devices for almost any old car in the market. I think it would be great if somebody with the knowledge needed, built a TFT tablet/dashboard, for this bike. I'd buy it.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:20 AM

Garage
I might ask all here; do you have or better still, did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
Just curious, because by default it’s set at 50%.... Thinking about it now what display? The 18+ or the older one, guess I should of asked/looked before I said my two cents...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 11-07-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
I might ask all here; do you have or better still, did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
Just curious, because by default itís set at 50%.... Thinking about it now what display? The 18+ or the older one, guess I should of asked/looked before I said my two cents...
Yes, the contrast is turned all the way up. When in critical lighting condition it does not help much. Model year 2018.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Yes, the contrast is turned all the way up. When in critical lighting condition it does not help much. Model year 2018.
Yea must just be a rider height/position thing I have a 2018 and donít really have any issues..

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page