Cluster TFT screen substitution - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Cluster TFT screen substitution

I guess most of owners agree that the LCD screen of the Africa sucks as far as it concerns visibility in most of the daylight conditions. The question is simple: does anyone know if we could possibly substitute the LCD screen with a TFT one, using the same PCB, showing the exact same info?

Going further, could one possibly use the main PCB to get the data and show them on a TFT screen/board with tailored graphics and possibly enhanced features like connectivity etc?

(note: to those friends that will be tempted to answer "go buy the 2020 model, lad" , I am not interested to swap my bike..... having it for just more than a year and only 14K kms, the expenditure is not justifiable.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Doubtful.

I just use my Sat Nav. instead of the screen.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 AM

Garage
There would be a lot of reverse engineering involved, I presume. So much that it would be unpractical and uneconomical... something no one would delve into, I think.
ArqCC and AT-Dragon like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I guess most of owners agree that the LCD screen of the Africa sucks as far as it concerns visibility in most of the daylight conditions. The question is simple: does anyone know if we could possibly substitute the LCD screen with a TFT one, using the same PCB, showing the exact same info?

Going further, could one possibly use the main PCB to get the data and show them on a TFT screen/board with tailored graphics and possibly enhanced features like connectivity etc?

(note: to those friends that will be tempted to answer "go buy the 2020 model, lad" , I am not interested to swap my bike..... having it for just more than a year and only 14K kms, the expenditure is not justifiable.)
Funny thing is, I’ve heard this before, about it sucking. I have yet been in ANY condition where I’ve had issues seeing the screen‘s info. Even with mud on it, direct sunlight, nighttime, etc. I can still easily read it, so I gotta ask. When do you or better still in what conditions can you not read it. I mean, the only time I’m remotely interested in it is when I see a cop and I want to double check that I’m not speeding other than that I know exactly whats on there, I’ve set the parameters myself, I know with in a few rpm’s where the engine is at and with in a couple mph how fast I’m going, exactly what gear I’m in. . I don know maybe it’s just because I’m a very experienced rider but I really don’t pay much attention at all to my dash/screen I know just what the bike is doing without having to look at it....

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 10-28-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
for me, worst readability condition of the LCD is when the sun is in front of me and the jacket/helmet reflects on the screen (I'm used to wear light/hiviz gear). That makes info almost unreadable.
Obviously you don't spend your time staring at the LCD, but is equally obvious that when I need to read some info, it must be readable: that's the function of the instrument panel!
Petros Galiatsis and Vasbyt like this.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

As Deltabi wrote, this is the worst condition. Furthermore, I find that the best condition is when the sun is behind me. All in all, in most of the cases and conditions within a Greek summer day, you simply can marginally see the dash.

I also can understand how fast I am going, or approximately how many rpms the engine is doing without having to look at the dash. BUT, a dash is supposed to be readable at a glance; this is the purpose, right? I do not want to guess reading and even more, waste a split second more than needed, on trying to make out what the dash reads.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 PM

I experience the same as deltabi. When the sun is in front of me (but not only), my light colored 'helmet chin' reflects in the LCD so much that makes the display unreadable. If I want to see the display, I have to move my head either to the right or to the left far enough to see something. I guess, I must like numbers since I, sometimes, look at the display. I have no problem seeing the display at night, but I do not ride at night that much, worried about hitting an animal and possibly kill it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:41 PM

Are you guys all doing the black tape around the centre of the handlebars trick? I found this helped tremendously with screen glare as a lot of it comes from handlebar reflection. Free mod too.
deltabi likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
for me, worst readability condition of the LCD is when the sun is in front of me and the jacket/helmet reflects on the screen (I'm used to wear light/hiviz gear). That makes info almost unreadable.
Obviously you don't spend your time staring at the LCD, but is equally obvious that when I need to read some info, it must be readable: that's the function of the instrument panel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
As Deltabi wrote, this is the worst condition. Furthermore, I find that the best condition is when the sun is behind me. All in all, in most of the cases and conditions within a Greek summer day, you simply can marginally see the dash.

I also can understand how fast I am going, or approximately how many rpms the engine is doing without having to look at the dash. BUT, a dash is supposed to be readable at a glance; this is the purpose, right? I do not want to guess reading and even more, waste a split second more than needed, on trying to make out what the dash reads.
Maybe itís just me and the times and vehicle direction I commonly ride, yes on occasion I do notice a reflection of my hi-viz coat (when I ware it) but I still have no problems seeing the info. Maybe itís years of off road riding and looking through muddy goggles; but at least in my case I can, I guess, ignore(?) the reflection.. LOL right now I have a fluorescent green/yellow screen protector on my display...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
I have to agree with this, I have a high viz jacket and helmet, it gets difficult to see the screen from time to time.

18 AT AS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page