Error in real speed - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:50 AM

mine is 9% out after fitting new tyres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:26 AM

This thread has got me thinking, next time out I'll take my Garmin and do a check. Basically I'm happy if my speedo is a little fast, it will help to keep me on the right side of the Law.

M
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Personally I feel it's out too far, lower speeds 5-6%, 90+ Kph around 8-9%.
Good for staying on the right side of the law but a problem with annoying other motorists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM

I've had other Honda bikes and they have all been about 10% out - on the high side.
Odometer and speedometer are not linked. So you'll still have 60,000 miles, you just won't ride as fast as you think to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadoganpier View Post
What are you moaning about!, it will mean your 60,000 mile bike will only have actually done 51,000 miles and your mpg will always look better.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM

I did a check today against my Garmin 660 and I found the speedo is reading >10% fast which I think is too much. Whilst I welcome being kept on the right side of the Law I think it should be around 5%.

M
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:39 AM

Speedo error grumble....

My Suzuki Vstrom was out 110kph on the speedo was 103kph by my GPS. I think my AT is even worse. The problem is on the highway when you get drivers who obviously don't have such inaccurate speedos getting impatient because you're holding them up. Mazdas suffer the same malady so if you are following a Mazda and you're wondering the why the driver is holding you up it's most likely his speedo being out by about 6% at 100kph. Surely an accurate speedo isn't too much to ask. I don't have my GPS on my bike yet but I will need it as the speedo is way out and the Queensland police like collecting revenue.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrew View Post
My Suzuki Vstrom was out 110kph on the speedo was 103kph by my GPS. I think my AT is even worse. The problem is on the highway when you get drivers who obviously don't have such inaccurate speedos getting impatient because you're holding them up. Mazdas suffer the same malady so if you are following a Mazda and you're wondering the why the driver is holding you up it's most likely his speedo being out by about 6% at 100kph. Surely an accurate speedo isn't too much to ask. I don't have my GPS on my bike yet but I will need it as the speedo is way out and the Queensland police like collecting revenue.
Well you won't be too happy to hear that the US-spec ATs speedometers are spot on, thanks to earlier class action lawsuits over inaccurate odometers. I don't know why Honda wouldn't simply put the same accurate speedos on all ATs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/au...30MILEAGE.html

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Bugger

It is really poor that they have a solution but only use it when someone twists their arm.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
Well you won't be too happy to hear that the US-spec ATs speedometers are spot on, thanks to earlier class action lawsuits over inaccurate odometers. I don't know why Honda wouldn't simply put the same accurate speedos on all ATs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/au...30MILEAGE.html
I am no expert but I think that applies to just the Odometer not the speedometer. Bikes can have accurate odometers and inaccurate speedometers. The speedo seems to be optimistic by between 5 and 10% on mine but I think the Odometer is fairly accurate. I guess Honda also have to take a punt on the type of tyres the rider will be using and that would also introduce an error.

Last edited by Wilco10; 02-07-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 PM

My speed reading is exactly 10% out, but the mileage is exactly right. If you add a Speedo Healer the speed will be corrected, but the mileage will then be wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page