Akrapovic inserts removed - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Akrapovic inserts removed

I posted a thread earlier asking if anyone had removed inserts. I have since removed my inserts. I did it without removing pipe. I used a small grinding stone on drill and ground off the burr on the weld. You need to drill a 6mm hole to free the weld which is stainless steel and very hard to drill. I drilled a 2mm hole and then went one mm up till got to a 6mm hole. I don't have any special tools so was the only way I could do it. I then used the back off a shifting spanner and pushed it deep into the insert and moved from side to side to free the insert and it came out easy no hammering. Sounds nice and deep not too loud. Inserts can easily be replaced with capped screw and nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	493
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9874  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Another pic. Sorry my iPad will only upload one pic at a time. Maybe someone can tell me why.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	418
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	9882  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Downside it leaves two holes in the pipe. Might make a plan to cover them not a big deal though
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	411
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	9906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 PM

You could use a couple of Akra rubber grommets, that's what covers the hole on my 640 Adv Akra when I have removed the db killer.

M
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM

The holes don't look too bad at all, but looks like you did a clean job ! Would love to hear a video of it as well. Not too sure why you can only upload one photo at a time but I think it's a fairly common issue here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for input. Was away on a dual sport adventure ride. Noticed a few other Akrapovic pipes with similar end cap and no insert and all had that hole so seems normal. I do not like loud pipes but this sound is perfect for me. After 4 days of riding am loving the sound!!!! What a nice deep sound and at freeway speeds can hardly hear it. My mate said when he was behind me on freeway couldn't hear it. I will try upload a sound clip this week.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTrack View Post
The holes don't look too bad at all, but looks like you did a clean job ! Would love to hear a video of it as well. Not too sure why you can only upload one photo at a time but I think it's a fairly common issue here.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Garage
Hi!

May I ask in which country you are living or, do you ride your AT only off-road?

In Austria it would be tricky to have no DB eater inserted in the Akra on public roads.

Greetings, gerhard
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
Hi!

May I ask in which country you are living or, do you ride your AT only off-road?

In Austria it would be tricky to have no DB eater inserted in the Akra on public roads.

Greetings, gerhard
Hi. I live in South Africa. I ride more on public roads than offroad. It's not loud like some of the other pipes without insert it's just a lot deeper. Can't say for other countries though.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page