Madstad Screen review (and screens generally) - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:32 AM

Screens in general?

I'm used to naked bikes with minimal screens and so I have taken off the original tall screen on my 'Sport and replaced it with a Givi D1144BO, which is perfect for me. Wind blast with zero turbulence. It fills the entire space, no gaps at the side or hole at its base. Works for me... But ear plugs are a must. Which is fine. I have a Garmin gps attached to the cross bar, which is wearing a glare stomper and this is fully protected from the wind. I think, also it looks great, Solid matte black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 02:39 PM

No. The knobs are tight but there is play in the metal sliding mechanism. Let me post a video to show you. Later today or maybe this week. I am talking about the two nylon threaded nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Do you mean that you keep the knurled adjusters slack because you want to be able to pull and push the screen while moving? I can see that would be a problem
Mike
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswift-ebay View Post
No. The knobs are tight but there is play in the metal sliding mechanism. Let me post a video to show you. Later today or maybe this week. I am talking about the two nylon threaded nuts.

I am going out on mine today so will check, but I'm pretty sure there's no looseness where yours is, I remember when I first fitted the Madstad that the fixing design seemed crazy. In effect the whole screen had just a single horizontal axis of fixing and it's a big screen. I was going to make some nylon posts and drill the screen high uo and use the topmost holes of the Honda 'ears' to provide another horizontal fixing axis. This would have meant that the screen was no longer adjustable so I didn't do it, and put up with the horrendous waggle of the screen. This wasn't just over bumps. It happened when the low engine revs resonated with the screen. Eventually it would have weakened the main Honda brackets (which are suspect anyway), but Vlad's screen brace cured everything.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
I am going out on mine today so will check, but I'm pretty sure there's no looseness where yours is, I remember when I first fitted the Madstad that the fixing design seemed crazy. In effect the whole screen had just a single horizontal axis of fixing and it's a big screen. I was going to make some nylon posts and drill the screen high uo and use the topmost holes of the Honda 'ears' to provide another horizontal fixing axis. This would have meant that the screen was no longer adjustable so I didn't do it, and put up with the horrendous waggle of the screen. This wasn't just over bumps. It happened when the low engine revs resonated with the screen. Eventually it would have weakened the main Honda brackets (which are suspect anyway), but Vlad's screen brace cured everything.
Mike
Thanks Mike. I will head over to the bike storage locker tonight and do a video.

post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Checked mine. With the nuts and the knurled knobs tight it’s rock solid (with the Vlad). But if I slacken off the knobs at all the whole thing rattles around
Mike
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Just put a Madstad screen on my 2018 DCT. I didn't want to spend the money on it, but I'm glad I did. I'm 6'3" and have been getting bounced around pretty good with turbulence. So much that my Sena thinks I'm tapping it to give a command. My ride is so much nicer now with this screen installed. I would definitely recommend one.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 PM

Michael Pollard - did you order the 20" or 22". I am also 6'3" but plan on putting a one inch taller seat on my 2017 AT DCT.

Thanks
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 PM

I am 5'11 and got the 20 and feel it is too short. I can't adjust it up without exposing the top of the dash to wind and causing horrible buffeting. Slide it down and it is gone, but the wind wisps the top of the helmet. Still better than anything else I've tried by a long shot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Michael Pollard - did you order the 20" or 22". I am also 6'3" but plan on putting a one inch taller seat on my 2017 AT DCT.

Thanks
I got the 22". I figured it may be easier to lower/tilt than try to raise it higher. Plus, our size is right between the max for 20" and min for 22" according to their size chart. So far, I'm glad I got the taller version. The instructions say that the top of the screen should be even with your chin, which is right about where mine is at the recommended angle from what I can tell.
During install, I mangled one of the supplied well-nuts but it seems to be holding just fine. I'll have to try to find a replacement at some point just for piece of mind. Other than that, I have no complaints. I can actually listen to Audible through my Sena now instead of just hearing the wind.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Thanks Michael - I will pick up my 2017 AT DCT the last week of January (got a great deal with full warranty - $11,100 including all dealer cost but not tax, licence, etc.). Both windscreen and seat mods happened on multiple previous bikes I have owned, so a Madstad 22" is probably in my future, but first I need to put some miles on the bike to see how OEM performs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page