Madstad Screen review (and screens generally) - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Madstad Screen review (and screens generally)

First off - it works.
People might remember that I have bought and tried almost everything that's out there, and ended up with a DIY cut down screen.
This was/is OK but having worked through the various screens and fittings I think I have sussed the problem and from what I had read of the Madstad they had too.

For me - and I can't emphasise that caveat enough - the problem has nothing to do with the height of the screen and everything to do with the width. And just as with any adventure bike, the screen is too vertical causing massive turbulence off the edges. It's worse on the Africa Twin because the screen has to have cut-outs at the sides to avoid the handguards colliding with it.

The symptoms are buffeting and peak vibration. Ok I'm using quite a wide helmet in the Nolan N40 but hey it can't be much wider than most other shells.

The Madstad screen solves the problem by taking the screen forwards and away from the plastic fairing which allows them to make it wider (by probably 75mm overall) but just as importantly they can build in an adjustable rake (55 to 65 degrees). And because there's such a gap at the base of the screen they can do without any vacuum prevention slots and cut-outs in the screen itself.

.... and it works for me - it's almost perfect. In fact it's reduced the buffeting so much that at first I found I was riding 10mph faster everywhere. I said almost perfect, because there is still a deep bass rumbling caused by minor vortices tumbling off the edges. And I think they could have gone another half inch wider each side which might have eliminated those, but it's good enough. I did 8 hours in the saddle yesterday and could have carried on for another hour or two.

The screen and brackets are beautifully made particularly the quality of the acrylic or perspex blade. They advised the 20 inch which looked to tall for me as I was fitting it, but they were spot on. In the position I prefer - lowest height, I can see the road 20 metres ahead. In the highest position I'm really looking through it so I don't think I will use that one. The real difference on the road though was being able to rake it back which made for a much smoother ride than with it upright.

I will add some more thoughts later but in the meantime here's a pic - for such a big screen I don't think it looks out of place on the AT at all.
Mike
RallyX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 PM

Mike, I agree with you 100%. I have the Madstad with brackets and it is the only combo that helped me. I tried the oem and 2 others, and only the Madstad works for me also.
I have pointed that out on this forum before, but have not seen many comments about it. The price is a little high, but well worth it, and beats continuously buying another one that does not work!!! Any shield that does not move forward enuf to allow air under, is simply a waste of time, at least for me.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is expensive - £300 or perhaps $350 but as you say it is worth it if the other screens and devices don't work for you.
I have bought the Swegotech fork things, Batzen screen adjusters, MRA sport screen, Honda OEM standard screen, Honda Touring screen, add-on vario deflector, and Slippyscreens low profile screen (which I cut down and it is OK-ish). They probably cost me £500 so I wish I had gone straight for the Madstad.

Some other good points. I now don't have to stop and clean my visor of dead flies, and I can ride with it fully open if I want to.

Also if like me you have invested in one of the german satnav brackets to fit to the Honda 13mm bar then fortunately the Madstad crossbar does not interfere with it. But it was a very close thing as you can see from this picture

Some criticisms and suggestions.
You ca't really use this screen off road because rough ground makes it wobble. That's because it's only fastened at two points and those points are only about 60mm apart. Furthermore if you want to make the screen instantly adjustable you need to leave one of these nyloc nut bolts 'not-tight' so it can slide in a slot.
Everyone seems to use different sized allen bolts for their screens but Madstad have gone for Phillips headed bolts - not a good idea IMHO. (but easily swapped of course).
The instructions need completin or updating as I suspect it would have been easier to fit the brace crossbar first rather than trying to get it in place at the end, and they have changed their supplies of rubber and plastic washers but not updated the instructions.
A long-term worry has got to be whether the Honda framework or the Madstad screen mounting frame will suffer from stress fatigue because of the wobbles on rough roads. This is of course made worse if you have a satnav fitted.
They use only the lower two sets of holes in the Honda framework (and tell you to remove the rubber boot from around the tops, but with hindsight I cant see why). So the top hole of the Honda legs is unused. I think if I am certain that the screen only needs to be in the one position for me, that I may make up two nylon spacers (about 50mm) and drill the screen and fasten it to those top holes.

By the way the best position for me at 5'10" with a 31"inseam is with the screen in the lowest setting and raked almost fully back.
Here are some more pics

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Glad you found something that works for you. But. Egad that thing is fugly.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 AM

It looks ok to me... thanks for sharing your experience. The pictures help too.

Your attitude determines your altitude.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 AM

The Madstad was one of my earliest farkles based on my experience with one on my KLR650. I use it full down and full forward. With my tank bag on, I have no turbulence. I honestly think the tank bag makes a huge difference.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:50 AM

I've been tempted recently by the Touratech medium (similar in size to the oe screen) screen even tho' I'm happy enough with the short MRA screen. But the thing that's stopping me pilling the trigger is the price !! How can TT charge so much is beyond me and I fear of wasting a chunk of money should it be no better than the oe one.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Ha, just go for the Madstad screen and adjustable brackets, and save yourself frustration and $$$!
I am not familiar with the TT, but if it does not move the shield to a position where air can come under it, in my opinion, it will not stop the turbulence like the Madstad......
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 AM

I could never bring myself to put something that ugly on my bike.
Tenere, Nemesis, Margusxx and 1 others like this.

"WHAT ME SNOTTY" Alfred E Newman
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosad View Post
I could never bring myself to put something that ugly on my bike.
"Ugly" is surely subjective. Your comment merely demonstrates that all your taste is on your tongue.

2016 Silver Manual ABS
Accessory outlet, center stand, Eastern Beaver PC-8
IBA: 39330

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page