New screen brace for AT - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

New screen brace for AT

Thereís been a few instances of the screen mount breaking on some owners ATís, usually caused by the fitment of a GPS unit and then Hondas refusal to authorise a warranty replacement. A few companies have developed a solution to this potential problem by designing a screen brace to support the oe mount. The ones Iíve seen are quite expensive, plus the extra expense of import taxes and shipping to me.

So I was happy to find another vendor offering what seems to me a simpler, more elegant and unobtrusive solution, and a whole lot cheaper to boot made by Vlad in Romania.

This brace simply uses two existing holes in the front subframe below the clocks and then utilises what would be the middle holes for the screen (yes, thereís actually six holes in the screen mount). Hope this makes sense when you look at the pictures.

What I really like about this brace is that you donít really notice it....it looks virtually oe. It appears very well made with nice touches like the nut covers and the finish matching the rest of the bike. It doesnít touch the clocks and stiffens up the screen mount significantly. The GPS will be a lot more stable than it used to be and no more worries of a broken screen mount.

If interested, you can contact Vlad through emai. [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C589C0A-FABB-4697-8724-7A29BFD9CE1D.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	40289   Click image for larger version

Name:	5602B200-1F1F-4FAD-BDF6-A3AE74E58DC5.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	40297   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F5740A6-43F5-4561-9953-86DF815D0BF3.jpg
Views:	6276
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	40305   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA7A640-BB04-48F2-A747-E62129A852D1.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	40313  
rider_marc, PTwin, -mek- and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Hi Davy, that looks nice, Iím wondering if it will fit the 2018 bikes, with the new instrument cluster? I was looking at the Camel product, but Cory said he didnít think their one would fit the 2018 bikes and they would have to make one, once they get the bikes in Canada.

So Vlad looks like an option for 2018 bikes.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

I doubt it...the clocks look like theyíre wider than my ones. At least they do in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	942AF34C-7C0F-4DF7-89C8-96663B7146AB.jpeg
Views:	514
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	40321  
PTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Hi, I don't think either that my bracket fits the 2018 model. I will go to the Honda dealer with one of my brackets and try to see if it fits and I will let you know.
Shedracer likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Vlad - I have got the bracket and it seems very well made, but I am having great difficulty getting a nut behind the lower flange - even with curved forceps. There are two types of bolts the hex headed ones have two nuts on each one of which seems to have a plastic cap. The other two bolts are philips cross head but take a plastic covered nut. Which ones are used where? It looks from Davy's pictures above that the plastic caps can be removed from the nuts - That wasn't obvious but I will try tomorrow.
Thanks for the very prompt service and it definitely looks like I will be able to use it with the Madstad screen
Mike
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

You feed the two hex bolts through the lower holes from the rear (actually the front of the unit) by using bent needle nose pliers. I pulled the rubbers off the LED lights to make access easier. Then tighten a nut on each bolt which acts as a spacer for you to then place the screen bracket onto. You then feed the second nuts onto the thread and tighten those up finishing off with the domed caps to cover the ends and make it pretty. The top screws are simple enough.

Hope this helps.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Yes that worked Davy. And I can say that the brace stiffens up the Madstad screen brilliantly. I had to use different bolts with nylocs in the top holes and a couple of rubber washers as spacers, but if I can do it anyone can make it work.
Mike
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Thereís been a few instances of the screen mount breaking on some owners ATís, usually caused by the fitment of a GPS unit and then Hondas refusal to authorise a warranty replacement. A few companies have developed a solution to this potential problem by designing a screen brace to support the oe mount. The ones Iíve seen are quite expensive, plus the extra expense of import taxes and shipping to me.

So I was happy to find another vendor offering what seems to me a simpler, more elegant and unobtrusive solution, and a whole lot cheaper to boot made by Vlad in Romania.

This brace simply uses two existing holes in the front subframe below the clocks and then utilises what would be the middle holes for the screen (yes, thereís actually six holes in the screen mount). Hope this makes sense when you look at the pictures.

What I really like about this brace is that you donít really notice it....it looks virtually oe. It appears very well made with nice touches like the nut covers and the finish matching the rest of the bike. It doesnít touch the clocks and stiffens up the screen mount significantly. The GPS will be a lot more stable than it used to be and no more worries of a broken screen mount.

If interested, you can contact Vlad through emai. [email protected]

Where can you buy this and for how much?
Thanks
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Dog View Post
Where can you buy this and for how much?
Thanks
Email to Vlad for price. [email protected]

I also got and installed mine. Otherwise it was a piece of cake, but I found it impossible to get the lower bolts on, between the lamp and frame. So I ended up replacing the "spacer nuts" for plastic spacers and installed the bolts opposite, from back to front. It was easy to fasten the flanged nuts temporarily to the wrench by tape and then hold the nuts behind the frame.

The finnish and fit of Vlad's bracket is perfect. Also the look is like original Honda parts, thank you very much, Vlad.
Drum Dog likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Voiculescu View Post
Hi, I don't think either that my bracket fits the 2018 model. I will go to the Honda dealer with one of my brackets and try to see if it fits and I will let you know.
Vlad - any luck with checking the fit on a 2018 model?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page