TUSK Panniers Feedback needed - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
Welcome, JJ Mendez. Visited Yesterday 03:56 PM Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 1. Subscriptions
 1Likes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
KTMtoTWIN

TUSK Panniers Feedback needed

Has anyone tried TUSK panniers on their Twin. And are they any better then OEM panniers. My dealer has Honda OEM available for $540. And I had the plastic KTM OEM panniers and they did a good job.
Any feedback on TUSK will be appreciated.
Also how do they fit, are there any modifications needed, etc.
Thanks in advance.
KTMtoTWIN is offline Report Post  
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:30 AM
nebbors

I have the tusk pannier rack. It's amazing. Though it's 3/4" steel and industry standard is 18mm.
nebbors is offline Report Post  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM
IndiBiker

Doesn't this rack need a bit of drilling into the plastic underside of the seat? I was checking some youtube videos

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!
IndiBiker is offline Report Post  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 AM
kaosad

Yes it requires you to drill into the plastic so it can be fixed to frame. I have had them for almost two years. The panniers are good and the mounting system is good as well. The rack itself is less impressive and be aware that unless they have change manufacturing processes this rack is not power coated and I have had to touch up a few rust spots. If you buy the rack or panniers GET BETTER NUTS AND BOLTS as the supplied ones are garbage and had rusted after about 6 months. To be honest I don't think that the rack would take any sort of accident well either it just seems a bit poor quality overall. It's a bit of a shame because as I said the panniers and mounting system is great value for the money.
IndiBiker likes this.

"WHAT ME SNOTTY" Alfred E Newman
kaosad is offline Report Post  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 PM
oldtechdude

I also have the Tusk Pannier Rack. I think the rack is great. I have not crashed it, and don't plan to!, but they seem like they will hold up. I put a set of the Moskomoto Scout 25 Soft Panniers on the quick release plate of the Tusk rack - this is REALLY nice since it so easy to mount/unmount the panniers. I mounted the pannier back plate directly onto the the quick release plate, that way I can use the Tusk quick release and do not use the "Pucks" directly mounted to the Tusk frame. I agree with koasad above one a few things - 1) the Tusk racks are painted, not powder coated so rust will be an issue; 2) I used stainless steel nuts and bolts wherever I could; 3) the Tusk rack system is a good value. Last - I can't comment on the Tusk Panniers since I went with soft Mosko panniers. Let us know what you decide.

Must be an ID-Ten-T error!
oldtechdude is offline Report Post  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM
ghorgan

Good Value Product

I am very happy with the lesser width Tusk panniers and the frame for the AT.
holes needed for the rear top mount cross bracket are hidden under the rarely removed rear seat. If you were to later remove the frame, small grommets can blank the holes.

I had no test drops yet after 6k miles but, they are well made and should withstand low speed assault. Rubber door stops may save scratching the cases in parking lot oops

I have used the Trask pannier frames on Honda CRF 230L and transfered them to a Yamaha WR 250R.
45K miles. No problems.

Cases are tough welded aluminum, not lightweight. I really like the robust snap lid closure buckles and the simple case release pulls.

First picture shows off my mask and spray project which came out well.
Second third and fourth show capped tool tube, extended, with hose clamps. Notice upper mount on bracket under rear seat.
Fifth shows right side frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6241.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	43735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6245.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	43737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6246.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	43739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6250.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	43741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6256.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	43743  

ghorgan is online now Report Post  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 AM
shane.barton

Garage
I have the Tusk panniers and rack on my 17 AT. I am happy with them so far. For $400 for the full kit, and only needing to drill 2 holes on the underside of the tail plastics to mount the rack. The panniers need some assembly but it's easy to do. You also have the option to mount the panniers at whatever angle suits you.

If you don't know where you're going, don't go there fast.
shane.barton is offline Report Post  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 AM
kaosad

Givi also make a lockable toolkit and mounting bracket That fits this and probably most other racks. Thats what I went with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	43747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	43749  

"WHAT ME SNOTTY" Alfred E Newman
kaosad is offline Report Post  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM
DonC

I have the OEM panniers. I installed the lock kits on both side cases and the top case. I just did a thousand miles no complaints. Everything stayed dry no shaking or rattling of any type and I loaded them fully. My riding is all street. If I were going off-road I would not have bought these panniers they do not look like they would handle a fall well at all!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 12-02-2019, 02:14 PM
kaptkaos

They dont, dont ask me how I know...
kaptkaos is offline Report Post  

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size