2018 AT DCT RAM mount for 6.3" phone - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 AM

Well, after reading the recommendations for the Quad Lock case I looked into it. I wouldn't be comfortable with the universal mount, so I'll keep my X-Grip. But for my S7 Edge which is my current main navigation tool - there is a Quad Lock case available. I ordered that S7 Edge case & a 1" ball from Quad Lock and they arrived today, I'm quite impressed! The phone certainly wont fall out of the case and (unlike the X-Grip) there is no chance of the buttons accidentally being pressed. Especially important, the Quad Lock system feels very secure, I don't think I'll need to fear it coming unlocked on its own.

I'm now hoping that when I next upgrade (thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10, not an issue until almost a year from now) that Quad Lock will make a case for that phone.
Mr Biker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:10 PM

Yeah ive also got the dedicated S7 Edge Quadlock case,been using it for about 8 months and i cannot fault it.

Cheers
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM

I also use Quadlock but the only downside is I dont find the front cover is properly waterproof so I can only use it in fair weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:59 AM

My iPhone 7 Plus has sat on the mount in torrential rain and has proved to be waterproof
Mike
MrRobb likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:46 AM

Garage
pics of set ups would be great and can actual see what everyone is talking about and if its something they would want on there bike, i'm looking to mount a garmin inreach se+ and a gps unit to the bike the phone i think i can carry in my coat or maybe mount it iphone 6+s i see holders for gps units that go between the handle bars on top of steering shaft anyone have anything like that?

2017 africa twin
2012 goldwing
1989 pacific coast
2014 roll a home
2012 xl1800 timeout
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biker View Post
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
I totaly agree, The Quadlock lock case is great, offers great protection from dropping your phone, very quiuck & easy to mount & dismount
I'm in the US, can you post a photo or link for this RAM & Quadlock as I have a Galaxy S10+ that would better serve me on the bar and not the jacket pocket. Thank you

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, it’s 6 3/8 in. x 3 in.

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. 😊

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

I need to get that mount. I bought a 1" bar mount (with the U shaped bolt) not realizing how thick the bars get towards the risers. So for now I'm stuck with my phone over near the left grip.

18 AT AS
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 AM

I changed from an X-Grip to a Quadlock for my S9+. Just easier to get the thing on and off and no worries about the buttons, etc. The Quadlock case, even with the bumpout on the back for the connector, is thinner and lighter than the simple Otterbox case I was using. I was worried that it was going to be bulkier in my pocket, but no.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM

On my 2018 ATAS I am using Ram Mounts with my Garmin GPS 78, and added a Perfect Squeeze holder to the Ram mount for my phone. Really like the set-up, no vibration and everything is close at hand and secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 ATAS Dash.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	49783  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biker View Post
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone,its a bit neater than the X-MOUNT in my opinion and still allows for multiple angle choices,just ssomething else for you to consider.

Cheers
What kind of phone do you use with that Quadlock setup? I find it doesn't seem to play well with the iPhone X. It keeps destroying the image stabilization. I have been in for 4 camera replacements already. The tone at the Genious Bar has gone from "It is rare, but it occasionally happens," to "It should work fine with the Quadlock" to "We don't recommend you use it with the Quadlock anymore."

Here is a sample of what it eventually does after just a few rides....

https://seandonnelly.smugmug.com/For...es/i-d8BTPfV/A

I never had the issue with the RAM X-Mount, but I think it is because the X-Mount setup does a better job of absorbing vibration than the Quadlock. I also think the Quadlock is maybe fine for road use, but not off?

I just switched from the iPhone X to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but I am hesitant to give the Quadlock another shot. Not sure if it is more a Quadlock can't absorb the vibrations issue or the iPhone X camera is crap for durability issue. But I don't want to risk screwing up the Galaxy S10+ camera the same way.

Rockform also makes some nice cases and motorcycling mounts, similar to Quadlock, but they have their own bar, perch and fork clamp mounts that don't require the Ram Ball.

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 08-10-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page