2018 AT DCT RAM mount for 6.3" phone - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 PM

I'm happy with my S7 Edge Quadlock case, but will be soon getting rid of the S7 Edge. I've registered my E-Mail to receive information from Quadlock when a case for my new phone is available, hopefully it wont take them too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:38 PM

How is the Quadlock case for wireless charging? I have several phones and tablets - all using wireless chargers at home and the office. Friends and coworkers often put their phones on them - and a few cases don't work well even though they aren't thicker than others.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
How is the Quadlock case for wireless charging? I have several phones and tablets - all using wireless chargers at home and the office. Friends and coworkers often put their phones on them - and a few cases don't work well even though they aren't thicker than others.
I have found it to be tricky, meaning that it can be a little fidgety as far as placement on the pad, but it works.

YMMV as some of that is probably also dependent on make/model of phone and make/model of pad. My experiences are all based on iPhone X and pads are a Samsung and an iHome alarm clock radio with built in pad.

I have just had to be a little more careful with placement with the case than without.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Robert Detjen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:33 PM

I have my new Note 10+ - great phone! With a 6.8" screen and higher brightness than the S7 Edge, it should be even better as a GPS navigator. I have installed my various apps (Waze, Mapfactor Navigator, HERE WeGo, Maps.Me) to give me plenty of options. My most used one is Mapfactor Navigator with Open Source maps downloaded at home through WiFi and checking for latest map update before a trip.

On Quadlock's site they list the case for the Note 10+ as available for preorder, shipping early October. I'll just use my RAM Mounts X-Grip until my Quadlock case arrives.

I have a wireless charger than works fine with my Spigen case, I'll report back here when I get the Quadlock case to let you know if wireless charging works fine or not.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
What kind of phone do you use with that Quadlock setup? I find it doesn't seem to play well with the iPhone X. It keeps destroying the image stabilization. I have been in for 4 camera replacements already. The tone at the Genious Bar has gone from "It is rare, but it occasionally happens," to "It should work fine with the Quadlock" to "We don't recommend you use it with the Quadlock anymore."

Here is a sample of what it eventually does after just a few rides....

https://seandonnelly.smugmug.com/For...es/i-d8BTPfV/A

I never had the issue with the RAM X-Mount, but I think it is because the X-Mount setup does a better job of absorbing vibration than the Quadlock. I also think the Quadlock is maybe fine for road use, but not off?

I just switched from the iPhone X to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but I am hesitant to give the Quadlock another shot. Not sure if it is more a Quadlock can't absorb the vibrations issue or the iPhone X camera is crap for durability issue. But I don't want to risk screwing up the Galaxy S10+ camera the same way.

Rockform also makes some nice cases and motorcycling mounts, similar to Quadlock, but they have their own bar, perch and fork clamp mounts that don't require the Ram Ball.

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts
I went through this for six months. Went through 4 Pixel 2 XLs and Google thought I was crazy. Kept getting "hardware failure. Camera has stopped" with black screens after riding for a couple hours with the phone on the X grip. Switched to a Note 9 and the same thing happened to the camera when I read about optical image stabilization breaks in the phone from heavy vibration. It is a huge bummer.

I have looked for vibration dampened mounts, but have moved to just putting it in the map pocket of my tank bag as I haven't been able to find anything. That is the safest way, but obviously more of a hassle. My next phone will not have OIS.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM

If your phone can automatically rotate the screen, there's a little mechanical gyro in it. Those can fail with enough vibration, and all the features that depend on motion sensing will stop. I have seen where you could unstick the gyro by dropping the phone about a foot onto the desktop, but YMMV. 8^)
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I have a Note8 and use the Xmount on occasion no issues so far but may use my tank bag more now after hearing all these issues.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
My next phone will not have OIS.
That will be a tough find these days, especially among the flagship models. They all have 3 and 4 cameras with OIS, etc. Perhaps one of the "gaming phones" such as the Asus ROG 2, but even that might. I still have on older iPhone 6s I may designate just for use on the bike since it only has DIS (Digital Image Stabilization) and not OIS

Edit: I have seen some videos showing how you can "fix" the broken OIS with the use of magnets. I am a little surprised that Apple hasn't come to market with a $50 iMagnet to resolve it. However, after the 4th camera repair, they basically did tell me that I was mounting it wrong, after previously insisting that it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 09-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 PM

I was going to pre-order the Quadlock case, but am now having second thoughts. With this talk about phones failing i'm not sure I want to have my new (and very expensive) Note 10+ give trouble. I have had the screen flip around on the S7 Edge, suddenly the map is upside down - I guess the vibrations could have been causing the gyro to have a problem.

So I've been looking at dedicated motorcycle GPS devices, which presumably can handle vibrations without any problems. It seems that the Garmin Zumo 595LM is the best option, and it comes with RAM Mount hardware which would make it very easy to attach to the bike. At least I could keep my phone (relatively) safe in my pocket and not fret about maybe causing it to fail.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I think the Zumo is a nice GPS but I'm not prepared to fork out that much money when my phone can do the same thing plus an unlimited numbers of other tasks.
Ill use my Wolfman tank bag which has a plastic window on it when on rough and extended riding trips, and besides I generally only need the voice directions anyways and my Lexin BF4FM looks after all the audio including voice recognition.

Last edited by jege41; 09-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page