2018 AT DCT RAM mount for 6.3" phone - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

2018 AT DCT RAM mount for 6.3" phone

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't want to be stuck with something that wont fit?

The bar mount I believe should be RAM-B-408-37-62U RAM Torque 3/8" - 5/8" Diameter Mini Rail Base with 1" Ball
Then I need a double socket arm, anyone have a recommendation on length?
Then I was planning on getting the RAM Universal X-Grip IV Large Phone/Phablet Holder w/ 1" Ball RAM-HOL-UN10BU which I think is designed to stay attached on rough terrain.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:12 PM

I have exactly that bar mount, works fine. I have the RAM-B-201U-A short arm and the X-Grip Large Phone/Phablet holder.

I've had no problems and am very happy with the position of the phone while using it as a GPS navigator.

I have used it on the factory bar and now am using it on the Camel brace.
Cuchulainn and MrRobb like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi is your AT an 18?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:15 AM

Mine is a '17, I'm not sure if there is any different in the bar thickness, but it shouldn't matter as the mount has different inserts to allow it to work with different sized bars. I'm also unsure of what differences there are in the windscreen and bar between the '16-'17 and the '18 models.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
Mine is a '17, I'm not sure if there is any different in the bar thickness, but it shouldn't matter as the mount has different inserts to allow it to work with different sized bars. I'm also unsure of what differences there are in the windscreen and bar between the '16-'17 and the '18 models.

Hi
It's the location, as the windshield bar has less clearance from the shield so I think I'm going to need a longer piece.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, it’s 6 3/8 in. x 3 in.

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. 😊

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Risers-C.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	45499   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_223742.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	45501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_223759.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	45503  
MrRobb likes this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+, it’s 6 3/8 in. x 3 in.

And it fits perfectly and securely in my “RAM Tough-Claw Mount with Universal X-Grip Large Phone Cradle for Plus Sized Phones.” Ram Mounts says it holds devices 1.75” to 4.5” wide and fits rails 0.625” – 1.5”.

It holds my phone securely. And it clamps to my handlebar very securely with a big finger turn screw and goes on and comes off easily—no tools or bolts, etc. I can’t imagine the clamp coming loose even in the roughest riding—you can really torque it down very tight. And the underside has rubber pads so it doesn’t mark up the handlebar in any way.

I only use the additional rubber harness when off-road, but probably don’t really even need it there. The spring-loaded “X-grip” is pretty tight all by itself and I've had no problems with my phone moving around while riding. And I never go anywhere without my phone in its cradle—I use it to open and close the garage door, text while riding, etc. 😊

I've seen complaints of the grip messing with your volume control, but I find it easy to position my phone so that doesn’t happen with the phone still being well centered and secure.

I've had mine almost from the beginning and have had zero problems. I like that I can move the position of the mount if I want or need to—quickly and easily. But I pretty much leave it just to the left of my handlebar mounts.

Thanks for the info I will consider that option, "text while riding, etc. 😊" not really eh?
Cheers.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
Thanks for the info I will consider that option, "text while riding, etc. ��" not really eh?
Cheers.
Doesn’t everyone text and ride?

One of my favorite pastimes is to watch for those texting and driving, and then, when opportunity permits—at a stoplight, say—give them a ration of hẹll for so carelessly putting my life in danger. (Like those crusaders you see on YouTube, for whom this seems to be their raison d'être).

And when I'm done with my angry tirade, the first thing I do as I pull away from the intersection, and as I shake my head and glare at the culprit, is text my brother with a message about how reckless and thoughtless car drivers can be. The Ram Mount is so convenient!

In all seriousness, I do occasionally check my phone at long stoplights, with both feet on the ground and bike in neutral—perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. But I don’t text while riding.

MrRobb likes this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Last edited by garyh; 11-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:31 PM

My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone,its a bit neater than the X-MOUNT in my opinion and still allows for multiple angle choices,just ssomething else for you to consider.

Cheers
KiwiMark likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Biker View Post
My set up is a RAM & QUADLOCK blend,ive got the RAM bar mount and the RAM double socket but ive bought the QUADLOCK 1" BALL attachment to fit the RAM socket and attach my phone,its a bit neater than the X-MOUNT in my opinion and still allows for multiple angle choices,just ssomething else for you to consider.

Cheers
I totaly agree, The Quadlock lock case is great, offers great protection from dropping your phone, very quiuck & easy to mount & dismount the phone not like using the Xgrip & finding it a pain to use, getting in the way of my S8 buttons & the slow process of fitting & removing, Quadlock with the ram mount works best for me, my Xgrip is now sitting in a box somewhere in the shed never to be used again on a bike
KiwiMark and Mr Biker like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in