2018 throttle lock / cruise for fly by wire - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

2018 throttle lock / cruise for fly by wire

Gday all

Has any one successfully fitted a throttle lock / cruise control to the 2018 at with the fly by ?
if so what brand / style ?

i do mind numbing kms on straight hwy and sometimes there is an itch that i cant reach with the left hand.

i have concerns re the lock messing with the spring in the throttle ..

**side note has any one tightened the slop in said throttle?

cheers

shiny side up
e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Hello Ewen,

Powercellperformance.com is coming out with one, hopefully soon. There were pics on FB groups when SEMA was happening.

Cheers!
Ewen Whelan likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:07 PM

Well respected Australian made one.

https://www.mccruise.com/collections...13591549968482
Ewen Whelan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmumbral View Post
Hello Ewen,

Powercellperformance.com is coming out with one, hopefully soon. There were pics on FB groups when SEMA was happening.

Cheers!
this was at SEMA 2018
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1541198227612.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	45979   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1541198944825.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	45981  
Ewen Whelan likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Ewen,

Cheers!
this was at SEMA 2018
$479 ain't bad. Sure that Honda will charge more than that. Bonus that it is made in the U.S. and carries a 3-year warranty. I'm game!
gvmumbral and Ewen Whelan like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:19 AM

I put the KAOKO on my AT (2017) as soon as I bought it.
I use it whenever I have to do more than 30 sec of cruising at the same speed in low traffic. I love this thing because I can fine tune how tight it holds the throttle which I find also helps off road to reduce throttle jerk when riding technical stuff.

I have to say that it was a device that took quite some getting used to.

I developed this action where I slide/drag the outer edge of my right palm over it to lock it. Then when I want to unlock it I grab it with the throttle and decelerate.

The only gripe I would have (if one could call it that) is the fine tuning of the speed to hold the speed limit. Ever so light movements of the throttle change the torque and affect the speed and ever so slight changes in grade of the road do the same.

Definitely not the smoothness of an electronic system, but it has a simple elegance to its function I like. Pretty cheap too.
mike5100 and Ewen Whelan like this.

Why drive when you can ride!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercore View Post
I put the KAOKO on my AT (2017) as soon as I bought it.
I use it whenever I have to do more than 30 sec of cruising at the same speed in low traffic. I love this thing because I can fine tune how tight it holds the throttle which I find also helps off road to reduce throttle jerk when riding technical stuff.

I have to say that it was a device that took quite some getting used to.

I developed this action where I slide/drag the outer edge of my right palm over it to lock it. Then when I want to unlock it I grab it with the throttle and decelerate.

The only gripe I would have (if one could call it that) is the fine tuning of the speed to hold the speed limit. Ever so light movements of the throttle change the torque and affect the speed and ever so slight changes in grade of the road do the same.

Definitely not the smoothness of an electronic system, but it has a simple elegance to its function I like. Pretty cheap too.

Can you see an issue with these for the '18 mdl with the throttle by wire (electronic)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM

no because it locks the throttle tube
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM

I use one of these, for under a tenner it works a treat.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123065550963

You push it forward against the brake lever with your index finger when you reach the desired speed and it holds the throttle open. You can easily just roll the throttle closed if needs be and it resets the device. Genius invention and so simple.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Kirky1298; 12-18-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

cheers kirky that is the best option so far .. ( wallet doesn't allow for the electronic ) the other one suggested i wouldn't be able to operate as im missing half my right hand ... the one you have suggested i think i will be able to use and the price point means that if it doesn't work for me im not out of pocket a hole heap...

cheers

e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page