Oxford heated grips - a tale of woe... - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Oldtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 25
I worked as a Honda tech for a number of years. We always installed them using grip glue. When it's wet is actually acts as a lubricant to help slide them on but you have to act fast. As previously stated the glue bond can be broken with compressed air. My AT came with them dealer installed. Not how I would have done it but it works so I'll leave them alone for now.
Oldtech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Squirrelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Chester UK
Posts: 69
All done. The right grip has now been put on dry without any glue and the struggle I had to force it on should hopefully ensure that it's not going to move - fingers crossed...

I've uploaded pics of both grips fitted and one of the right one before fitting to show both the plug and label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1217.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	46449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1216.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	46451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1222.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	46453  
Squirrelly is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Member
 
roy826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Brandon MS
Posts: 90
I had the same issue with throttle side grip and their super quick dry glue. I was half way on when it dried. I carefully took a super thin small long electronics screw driver and worked it up in between the grip and throttle tube breaking the super glues hold. With the screw driver sill in place creating a small gap I sprayed some soapy water up in the gap. Let is sit a few minutes and was able to twist the grip the rest of the way up onto the throttle tube. Once on I didn't even have to wait for the soapy water to dry the grip wasn't moving. It'll have to be cut off if ever removed.

Left side was glued on with their slick super glue and slid on the bar way too easy. I expected it to come loose in time but after 2 months both grips are working fine and have not moved.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
roy826 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Great Britain, North East England
Posts: 312
The trick is to have them tight when they have been hot for a while.
I have fitted one which was tight when fitted but when hot (and presumably softened and expanded) it turned on the bar. Good luck.
BigKev is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
...took a super thin small long electronics screw driver and worked it up in between the grip and throttle tube breaking the super glues hold. With the screw driver sill in place creating a small gap I sprayed some soapy water up in the gap.
This how I've removed grips for years, except I spray brake cleaner into it and wiggle the screwdriver to let it spread. I just use brake cleaner because it dries right up. I use it for lubricant when I put them on as well. I've never had to use glue before, until on this left Oxford.
Shadowjack is online now  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Member
 
roy826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Brandon MS
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
This how I've removed grips for years, except I spray brake cleaner into it and wiggle the screwdriver to let it spread. I just use brake cleaner because it dries right up. I use it for lubricant when I put them on as well. I've never had to use glue before, until on this left Oxford.
Me either the left oxford seems to be a tad to big in diameter from what I felt. I'm surprised my left one is still holding especially with that super glue they provide in the kit.

Best heated grip glue I have ever used is Yamabond7 made by Yamaha. Very good grip glue and they spec it on their factory heated grips and use it on their non heated grips as well. Very good stuff! If my left oxford eventually twist loose I will reinstall it with Yamabond7.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
roy826 is online now  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: London
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
All done. The right grip has now been put on dry without any glue and the struggle I had to force it on should hopefully ensure that it's not going to move - fingers crossed...

I've uploaded pics of both grips fitted and one of the right one before fitting to show both the plug and label.
Thanks for putting up the pics, but I can't tell what connector type that is?
What did you plug it to? I planning on connecting my oxford grips to the Eastern Beaver 3CS so would it just be a matter of cutting off the Oxford connectors and replacing with those from the 3CS? Thanks,
VaraderoTwin is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Junior Member
 
bbanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africagaz View Post
Solution don't glue the throttle side at all,i haven't and it does not move.
What he said
bbanker is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Squirrelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Chester UK
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
Thanks for putting up the pics, but I can't tell what connector type that is?
What did you plug it to? I planning on connecting my oxford grips to the Eastern Beaver 3CS so would it just be a matter of cutting off the Oxford connectors and replacing with those from the 3CS? Thanks,
The connectors between both grips and the controller are plug 'n play. The only DIY job you'll need to do is at the battery end. The grips are, according to Oxford "UK Specific". As I said the original install was by the dealer so I can't comment on the battery end fitting on my bike sorry.

If it helps, all the YouTube Oxford install videos show the old style white non-weatherproof connectors.
The latest connectors are round black plastic with a sealing gasket and a screw collar to hold the male and female together.
Squirrelly is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: London
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
The connectors between both grips and the controller are plug 'n play. The only DIY job you'll need to do is at the battery end. The grips are, according to Oxford "UK Specific". As I said the original install was by the dealer so I can't comment on the battery end fitting on my bike sorry.

If it helps, all the YouTube Oxford install videos show the old style white non-weatherproof connectors.
The latest connectors are round black plastic with a sealing gasket and a screw collar to hold the male and female together.
Ok got it thanks. So grips to controller and then controller has the leads to the battery, meaning Iíll just cut those off and plug into the 3cs once I connect the included connectors from eastern beaver. Should be ok then

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
VaraderoTwin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oxford Heated Grips Ti04 Parts and Accessories 14 10-07-2018 08:26 AM
A tale of self inflicted woe pjm Electronics 0 08-20-2017 12:03 AM
Help fitting Oxford heated grips Philipw New Member Introductions 11 05-15-2017 01:14 PM
Garmin 590LM, Spot beacon and Oxford Grips Canadarider Electronics 9 04-09-2017 01:38 AM
Oxford Heated Grips artbone Electronics 8 04-04-2017 12:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome