Pannier racks - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Pannier racks

Hi all
I am just about to get an ATAS...
I'm looking for pannier racks that are symmetrical as I normally leave the racks on for extra crash protection. Yet all the ones I've come across so far are asymmetrical. Has anyone come across evenly spaced racks?
Racks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM

with an exhaust getting in the way on one side of the bike, symmetrical racks aren't feasible. the end result would be that the non-exhaust side rack would need to be moved outwards. and the makers seem keen on making the racks as narrow as possible.

you can have near enough symmetrical panniers, but then you're required to have one smaller than the other.. with a cut-out so it fits 'around' and close to the exhaust. Hepco&Becker Xplorer for example. 40L and 37L

The alternative is to have different size cases, with the exhaust side being narrower. so the width each side is near enough identical. but viewed from the rear looks asymmetrical. for example the Givi outbacks. you can have a 48L on one side and 37L on the other. with just a 2cm difference between the two.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-15-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Hi
Thanks for info...
Was hoping for exactly that, that the racks would be pushed out on non exhaust side... seems that non exhaust side rack wouldn't do much crash protection seeing it is so close to body whereas the exhaust side sticks out enough that bike would rest on rack and crash bar instead of other parts. The bumot seems pushed out enough though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:39 AM

Happy Trails

I thought that the Happy Trails were symmetrical as well as dirtracks.com and Tusk although Tusk still doesn't make a rack for the 2018 and up yet.
I have been searching for a good inexpensive rack and 3 mm thick aluminium box set for quite sometime now and it has been frustrating trying to get what I want. Ideally the Tusk system fits the bill as it also integrates a quick release system but when will it be released for the 18 and up is not known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrclauds View Post
Hi
Thanks for info...
Was hoping for exactly that, that the racks would be pushed out on non exhaust side... seems that non exhaust side rack wouldn't do much crash protection seeing it is so close to body whereas the exhaust side sticks out enough that bike would rest on rack and crash bar instead of other parts. The bumot seems pushed out enough though...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM

SW Motech racks are asymmetrical but leave enough space on the non-exhaust side of the bike for two tool tubes. I've dropped my bike on them with and without luggage. Pretty durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrclauds View Post
Hi
Thanks for info...

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 PM

Looking for racks and panniers I can put hard or soft panniers on without have to change out anything. Any ideas
post #7 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:47 AM

I bought the OS32 Kriega soft bags with the SW-Motech Pro Side-Carrier. The rack comes off in about 2 minutes leaving just small parts on the bike (if you wanted to). The Kriega have plates that allow to attache different bags, a rotopax, etc.
My only problem is on the exhaust side the rack touches the exhaust, and its hard to align the holes to install that side. Waiting to hear back from where I bought it from to see whats up with that. Once I have a right side that fits properly, I'll be pretty happy with the setup. I've gone back and forth on the idea of hard vs soft panniers...and for a few reasons, I went with the soft bags: if you drop the bike it absorbs the impact, offroad you are less likely to have your alu boxes break your leg in a fall, you can expand or shrink it a bit depending on the load you carry as opposed to always taking maximum space even when empty.
Price wise, it's not much cheaper than hard cases. Also bought a Sw-motech rear rack so I can install a kriega bag on the top (which also serves as a small back support for my gf).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page