buffeting and screens - an answer? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM

Take your mirrors off and go for a spin and see what happens. I did. Look at the shape of the back of the mirror. My thought is the mirror is splitting the air from the shield and forcing it back to the rider. I swapped my mirrors and it changed the air flow. Before and after picts. Don.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_164006_1559211644989.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	48687   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_165135_1559211737929.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	48689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:22 PM

Wind coming around the side...

Like Mike5100, I too have tried several windshields and brackets before purchasing the Madstad. Madstad is the only thing that seems to 'mostly' work. I'm also still thinking that 'gap' along the lower side of the shield needs blocking. I wonder if we could contact Madstad and see if they would build a custom shield for us that blocks this area, or is maybe is just about 2 inches wider on each side of the shield. On the Madstad website, the shields *alone* are surely less expensive than the entire kit.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
Like Mike5100, I too have tried several windshields and brackets before purchasing the Madstad. Madstad is the only thing that seems to 'mostly' work. I'm also still thinking that 'gap' along the lower side of the shield needs blocking. I wonder if we could contact Madstad and see if they would build a custom shield for us that blocks this area, or is maybe is just about 2 inches wider on each side of the shield. On the Madstad website, the shields *alone* are surely less expensive than the entire kit.
I think this is actually worth asking.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:59 AM

I've mentioned this in several other 'buffeting' issues thread. The National Cycle VStream windscreens have a small wing that deflect air out along the bottom and away from the fairing and out away from the handguards. That in combination with the Batzen screen riser has removed all buffeting.
I used the sport touring version (N20058) but there is an even taller version on their site. I think the key is the shape and the flares at the bottom of the windscreen.
It might save you from having to fabricate your own solutions and likely has the same effect on turbulence.

KiwiMark likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I used the sport touring version (N20058) but there is an even taller version on their site. I think the key is the shape and the flares at the bottom of the windscreen.
I have the N20059 and haven't noticed any buffeting at any speed. I ride in summer with the visor on my helmet up, trying to get some air when it is hot - no problem at over 100kph. With no problems with buffeting I see no reason to worry about air dams over the fork tubes.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 PM

Yes, I can leave my visor open up to highway speeds with minimal noise and no buffeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
I have the N20059 and haven't noticed any buffeting at any speed. I ride in summer with the visor on my helmet up, trying to get some air when it is hot - no problem at over 100kph. With no problems with buffeting I see no reason to worry about air dams over the fork tubes.
KiwiMark likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 AM

I put a VStream on my NT700V, after trying a Cee Bailey, and it helped a lot with flow across my helmet.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I've mentioned this in several other 'buffeting' issues thread. The National Cycle VStream windscreens have a small wing that deflect air out along the bottom and away from the fairing and out away from the handguards. That in combination with the Batzen screen riser has removed all buffeting.
It might save you from having to fabricate your own solutions and likely has the same effect on turbulence.

I bought the sport and the touring (their tallest). I'm 6'1", on rally seat, none of them really worked great for me. They would probably work great for shorter riders. I have the Batzen bracket, and even with that I still get turbulance at the top of my helmet on the highway. The Touring windscreen was annoying cause it was right in my eyeseight.

https://youtu.be/2DGawHjnnIg
This one seems better than the Batzen (though much more expensive), easier to adjust, and you can also pivot the top of the screen, which in my case would probably solve most of the turbulance...
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:49 PM

ATAS is fine, no buffeting from screen or up through forks. Visor up ok.

Still running in so no long high speed runs yet.
Robert Detjen likes this.

Enjoy an Adventure
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:45 PM

I'm 6'3" and ride my ATAS with a dirt bike helmet with a visor, but no face shield or goggles. I don't notice buffeting. On My VStrom my head was blown around like crazy until I put on a taller screen and a madstad. My FZ-09 was noisy as all get out until I put an MRA screen on it. It all depends on where there is a concentrated or disturbed air stream in relation to your head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page