buffeting and screens - an answer? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

buffeting and screens - an answer?

For those of us who have invested in expensive Madstad screens, it's almost a solution, but for me there was still some peak buffeting and I was fairly sure where it was coming from - you just have to hold your hand in front of you at various positions to feel where the turbulent air is coming from.
I had hoped that the new visor kit from Honda shown in this picture would have allowed me to revert to the standard screen:

But - No - you can, I hope, see the problem. There's a big gap between the top of the visors and the start of the screen. Honda have to do this because the knuckle guards would impact anything that is in that space when on full lock.
Now here's a pic of why the Madstad helps a lot - it's about 4 inches wider. (ignore the frost on the screen - it comes clear )

The reason they can make it wider is that they bring it forwards by about 2 inches. But I think you can see that there is still a bit of a gap at the critical points.

....... so .... I thought I would try filling those gaps in temporarily with adhesive tape.
This first pic shows how i simply applied 3 strips across the all important gap:

and this second pic from the riding position shows better how the airflow at this point is cut off by the tape:

There is still a huge amount of air flowing up under the screen centre as I have the screen raked back quite a lot.
BUT blocking off these two side gaps has just about eliminated the buffeting (at any speed).
Now all I have to do is work out a way of making something that looks better than Gaffa tape.
Mike
MildlyInterested likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 AM

If you do and you can sell it I will buy it. That's the exact spot causing issue with my 20" madstad.

I was thinking of 3D printing a plate that uses the wing mount holes, but my buddy's 3D printer is getting worked on.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Sorry Mike, I assume you have covered this elsewhere, do you have a link to the visor kit or your discussion of it?

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:07 AM

You know, what about those BMW windshield Velcro mounts? Something like that might be on the right track.

Or the windshields that mount elsewhere like this k1600 foot shield:
https://www.nippynormans.com/screens...ted-k1600gtgtl

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
If you do and you can sell it I will buy it. That's the exact spot causing issue with my 20" madstad.

I was thinking of 3D printing a plate that uses the wing mount holes, but my buddy's 3D printer is getting worked on.

Ditto Tequilasqeela - if you make something that solves it I will buy yours
If you look carefully at my pic of the Honda 'visors' you can probably see that I have fixed them with velcro dots as I didn't want to drill the bike panel if they didn;t work. It surprised me that the velcro dots held them in position without failing so if I get something else made I think I may use them again.
My sort of plan is to maybe cast something (plaster of paris, papier mache ?) over the gaffa tape and the edge of the screen then ask a sign maker if he can bend some clear acrylic to match. An alternative plan is to make something out of black neoprene but stiffen it up in the gap area with some thin plastic. This will not look as nice but it might be better than black gaffa tape. Of course anything I make (or that TS makes) will probably only fit our own bikes because we probably all have the screens set at different heights and angles.
Mike
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyInterested View Post
Sorry Mike, I assume you have covered this elsewhere, do you have a link to the visor kit or your discussion of it?
I don't think I have discussed it much on here, but I had high hopes. If Honda produced it, it surely meant they had done some tests and combined with the little black fairing wind deflectors that they have made available since day 1, I thought this must be the answer. So I was hugely disappointed when they made no difference at all for me with either the standard screen or the OEM touring screen.
But that's just for me - they may work for others and are probably shown as an Africa Twin Sport accessory as that bike comes pre drilled for them whereas the standard bike just has the insides of the panels marked where to drill.
And by the way - I have tried both OEM screens, 4 independent screens, a vario lip, the swegotech air deflector, Batzen screen risers, the OEM wind deflectors, and the OEM screen visors, and none of them worked for me EXCEPT the Madstad 20 inch screen which cured the problem 75% (but also needed Vlad's screen brace). ...... and there are plenty of threads on here discussing all those potential solutions that might work for other people.
.... so it would be nice to keep this thread about ideas to stop the turbulent flow through those side gaps?
Mike
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Agreed. And I went through the "but the madstad is so ugly there must be something else" thinking with my Vstrom.

Lesson learned. Went straight to the madstad and wasn't disappointed, but if I can get that last little bit of buffeting fixed then I can wear earplugs without the constant drumming in my head.

That, or go to no windshield at all. Everything in between just sucks.

mike5100 likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSqueela View Post
Agreed. And I went through the "but the madstad is so ugly there must be something else" thinking with my Vstrom.

Lesson learned. Went straight to the madstad and wasn't disappointed, but if I can get that last little bit of buffeting fixed then I can wear earplugs without the constant drumming in my head.

That, or go to no windshield at all. Everything in between just sucks.

Yeah I know - the noscreen is wonderful but I have now got used to a bug-free visor in summer and a crap-free visor in winter
Mike
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
.... so it would be nice to keep this thread about ideas to stop the turbulent flow through those side gaps?
Indeed. My thought would be to contact your local sign writer and ask if they (or you) can trace or measure the outline of the visor thingy, create a representation, then cut a blank piece of thick vinyl (white?) using their computer-driven cutter.
mike5100 likes this.

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyInterested View Post
Indeed. My thought would be to contact your local sign writer and ask if they (or you) can trace or measure the outline of the visor thingy, create a representation, then cut a blank piece of thick vinyl (white?) using their computer-driven cutter.
Yeah I thought of something along those lines and white 2mm vynyl might look OK athough I think 3mm clear perspex or acrylic would be best. If that worked what we could do is leave the bottom edge free floating - ie unattached to the bikes fairings - and just use two nuts and bolts through the appropriate part of the Madstad screen. That would mean that it wouldn't matter what angle or height you had the Madstad, the new bits would still cover most of the gap.
I think I need to experiment with removing some of the black gaffa tape because at the moment it forms a 3-D shape as it wraps a little way around the front/bottom of the screen. If it works without that wrap then the perpsex need only be a simple flat plate with just one bend so it can be screwed to the Madstad.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page