Really Need Panniers - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Really Need Panniers

Warning: I made a stupid Mistake
I ordered the wrong Panniers from Outback Motortek. I really need panniers that fit with **** near no modification, straight bolt one. OutBack Motortek has been somewhat helpful. No I'm not bagging on them. The US Store really doesn't have customer service. I Took my bike apart and will leave it in pieces for the mean while. I have a trip planed to Moab Utah in two weeks. Does anyone know of a company that can get me good quality panniers in a week.

Please Help...............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	49737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	49739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	49741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	49743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	49745  

1 John 5:14
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

2018 Honda Africa Twin 1000LD DCT (Black and Bronze)
2018 Kawasaki KLR 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 AM

Garage
I still have to find racks for panniers that can be installed without modifications: Outback Motortek, Givi, SW-Motech, they all request some kind of modification, usually in the form of new holes. That's for the simple fact that they need to provide a stronger support to the heavier side panniers.
Try to contact Lorry Gombos (<lorant at outbackmotortek.com>), he is usually prompt to answer.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
I still have to find racks for panniers that can be installed without modifications: Outback Motortek, Givi, SW-Motech, they all request some kind of modification, usually in the form of new holes. That's for the simple fact that they need to provide a stronger support to the heavier side panniers.
Try to contact Lorry Gombos (<lorant at outbackmotortek.com>), he is usually prompt to answer.
I have the SW Motech on my ATAS. No modification whatsoever is needed. You just add 3 metal components on existing points and you can install/remove the racks within seconds (half turn screws). I think it is the best system out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I have the SW Motech on my ATAS. No modification whatsoever is needed. You just add 3 metal components on existing points and you can install/remove the racks within seconds (half turn screws). I think it is the best system out there.
Then there must be an error in the SW-Motech instructions on their site (or you skipped Step 4 in documentation ).. see attachment... You probably have even to remove plate to do that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	49753  

Last edited by deltabi; 08-07-2019 at 05:34 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:51 AM

Iíve fitted Givi to my 19 ATAS and no modification required for the side cases and very easy and quick to fir. There is a mod to fit the rear carrier for top box and a bit challenging to fit but is do able
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Then there must be an error in the SW-Motech instructions on their site (or you skipped Step 4 in documentation ).. see attachment... You probably have even to remove plate to do that...
Oh, come on, 2 freaking holes on the plastic is not really a "modification"..... LOL .... I did not skip the step but incidentally I had the holes already done at the exact positions needed for my licence plate.
Grizzly likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP11 LAD View Post
Iíve fitted Givi to my 19 ATAS and no modification required for the side cases and very easy and quick to fir. There is a mod to fit the rear carrier for top box and a bit challenging to fit but is do able
Again, GIVI requests either the 1161KIT or the SR1161 (for the top box) when mounting the side carriers. Both of those parts require holes in the rear fender. Look at the instructions.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Oh, come on, 2 freaking holes on the plastic is not really a "modification"..... LOL .... I did not skip the step but incidentally I had the holes already done at the exact positions needed for my licence plate.
That is the request of the OP: "straight bolt one".

Then I agree two holes are not much difficult to do. By the way I believe the ones requested by SW-Motech on the plate holder would not provide much strength. And those designed by GIVI, while much more robust, can only be done after having disassembled almost rear parts of the bike.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
...By the way I believe the ones requested by SW-Motech on the plate holder would not provide much strength.....
I had the exact same concern, but then there was not a chance that I would dismantle half the bike to install the GIVI system.

On the other hand SW-Motech is a well known company for quality and trusted systems. I have friends that have the same system on their KTMs which is mounted in a similar manner and they never had a problem even doing off-road.

So, I took my chances and indeed the system is very rigid.

After all, this "bridge" does not carry vertical load. It is subjected mainly to horizontal force in between the two racks.

Consider that, due to limited space where I park my bike, I have to pull it (on tiles of course), and the only part that gives a good grip for this task is the side rack. So, I pull the whole bike for some half a meter or so, only by applying pull force on the side rack. It fully withstands the stress.

All in all, there should be no consideration for the strength of the system.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
I had the exact same concern, but then there was not a chance that I would dismantle half the bike to install the GIVI system.
On the other hand SW-Motech is a well known company for quality and trusted systems. I have friends that have the same system on their KTMs which is mounted in a similar manner and they never had a problem even doing off-road.
So, I took my chances and indeed the system is very rigid.
After all, this "bridge" does not carry vertical load. It is subjected mainly to horizontal force in between the two racks.
Consider that, due to limited space where I park my bike, I have to pull it (on tiles of course), and the only part that gives a good grip for this task is the side rack. So, I pull the whole bike for some half a meter or so, only by applying pull force on the side rack. It fully withstands the stress.
All in all, there should be no consideration for the strength of the system.
SW-Motech does good products, for sure.
I was concerned with that "bridge" (and I'm not the only one) in case of a strong lateral shock (like in a fall): it would probably be transmitted to the rear fender... let's hope its elasticity can absorb the transferred energy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page