Communication systems? music & nav - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
I remember all the trouble I had with Star-comm system, Zumo 550....Walkie-talkies....made group rides more organized. Liike the idea of Bluetooth connections. Progress is good!
Cuchulainn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Yea going through the post on that link it seems to be hit or miss, no problems or nothing but problems - kinda sad we pay enough $$$$$ for them they should be waterproof period. Rain happens, itís a fact; ride enough and youíll get rained on. Well at least it looks like I lucked out both times with mine, but IF it ever does crap out on me Iím thinking Iíll go with someone else that IS rated as waterproof, probably shouldnít press my luck a third time..

Hail yea! Hail hurts - but at least I lucked out I was on gravel roads so it wasnít an issue, wouldnít wanna be skating around on hail on tarmac I just mentioned hail cause that was implying the kinda drenching downpour I was riding in... Iím just happy it was JUST pea size and NOT golf ball size.
Well, also as Apple states in regards to their watches "Water resistance isn't a permanent condition and may diminish over time." Now, of course, Sena doesn't even make a claim of water resistance even making statements such as this:

Sena Technologies Help Desk

Thank you for contacting SENA Tech Support!

Sena 20s is not a waterproof/water resistant.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and concerns.
Best Regards,
SENA Tech Support

So I suppose water resistance that is inherent to some units, but never claimed by Sena is an even less permanent condition? But yeah for the money they should be "waterproof." Cardo Packtalks advertise ip67 water resistance and even some of the cheapies like FODSports and Freecom advertise waterproof/water resistant units. Come on Sena. Been using Sena for a decade (actually still using them), but this was our first venture away. In part due to the water ingress issues, in part, because we wanted to try the mesh communications and Sena's implementation is kind of a mess apparently.

Worst hail we have had to ride extensively through was marble-sized. We got caught in a canyon between Westcliff and Rye in the Wet Mountains. Dark, nowhere to pull over/seek shelter. It covered the road and we were making tracks through it. It knocked one of the vents off my wife's helmet, chipped the rear vent on mine. Left us covered with welts and bruises. That was 8 years ago. We laugh about it now, but at the time we were inventing a whole new vocabulary of swear words since we had used all the ones currently known Luckily no bigger, because we were stuck in for about 20 miles.
AT-Dragon likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 AM

This doesn't help you Desmo as you already have your android and your helmet, but your title is a good one and will attract many people who want to know where to start, so I thought I would post my experience.
Nolan helmet with Nolan Ncom bluetooth system (bought afterwards and added by me in about an hour). Boom mic works perfectly with helmet used open face or with chinguard. Battery lasts at least 10 hours (continuous music at full volume 'cos I wear earplugs :-) ). Battery fits inside helmet in special compartment. Recharging seems very quick.
This is used with an Iphone 8 Plus running Copilot satnav app. (purchase cost of app was £23 including downloaded maps and updates at £7 per year whic includes active traffic reports). It has its limitations but not as many as the dedicated Garmin bike satnav had. (previous limitations of a phone was that it wasn't waterproof and not bright enough. Iphone 7 onwards overcomes these)
The phone sits in a RAM X-mount Large attached to the centre of the handlebars - good clear view of bike instruments and virtually no vibration - satnav audio instructions pass perfectly to the N-com system and can be overlaid over the music.
I don't take calls much while driving but have done so and callers have been amazed that I was actually riding a motorbike - audio quality apparently sounded perfectly normal.
Can also trigger Siri via the button on the N-com. But this doesn;t always give you what you expect (Siri's fault usually rather than NCom )

Minus points - very occasionally the bluetooth connection gets glitchy, but usually fixed by switching ncom off then on (on the move). AFAIK you can't plan routes on a laptop but I have found I can do this well enough on the iphone 8 plus. Sometimes Copilot wants to take me off a motorway and then straight back on but Garmin used to do this too. Anyone know why this happens?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Sometimes Copilot wants to take me off a motorway and then straight back on but Garmin used to do this too. Anyone know why this happens?
Mike
Iím pretty sure itís a infringement deterrent just like the few ďfake roadsĒ keeps other companies from Just copying there software and bundling as their own. Old school maps kinda did the same things by adding fake roads (usually short dead end roads) BTW you can still find those on the maps used in GPS, phones, etc. for the same reason..

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
Thanks.. I like what I read about the Cardo Slim and Free 4+ but emailed them to see if it works/fits my Scorpion AT950 (flip- up) helmet.
I have an AT950 on the way. How do you like it? Reviews are pretty great on it. MotorcycleGear.com has them on Closeout for $189

18 AT AS
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
I agree from what i read also. Cardo assures me the Bold will fit my Scorpion AT950 (flip- up) helmet (and the boom mic).

Amazon has great price!

Thx!
Check and see if they market the AT950 under a different name in Europe as well.

My wife and I wear the Arai XD-4 helmets, for example. They are marketed in Europe as the Arai Tour X4. Same fit as far as the cardo goes.

There are some helmet that have a hard lip along the bottom where you can't fit anything up there between the shell. My Scubeth C3 Pro comes to mind. But these are more the exception than the rule and they don't work any better with the Sena 20S/30K or other brand unless you want to use the adhesive mount. I use the Sena 10U with that helmet, which installs internally.

Other than helmets with that hard plastic edge like the Schubeth, everything else will work with some combo of clamp and skirt. Included in the package is one long and one short of each.

If it isn't on their list on the website, it mostly just means they haven't tested that helmet for themselves, but baring that hard plastic where you can't get anything at all up there, it will work with some combo of long/short clamp and skirt.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 PM

My two riding buddies and I went to the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL a few months back and we couldn't be happier with that system.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM

I have the cardo pak talk bold on mine & my wifes Scopion AT950s - fit is fine. The boom mic works good even with the face open
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:48 PM

I have a Cardo Slim, it works as well as a Bold. I highly recommend the Cardo product. The Sena is amazingly difficult to connect other riders to your group. The Cardo is very easy and reliable. However, I would likely buy a Bold if I was to do it over again. Reason is that it is interchangeable across the various helmets you many own. Just buy a second mounting bracket and speaker set. Also as the Slim hangs on the base of your helmet which prevents you from looking up to the same degree as you can without it mounted. The Slim is also something you have to navigate around when removing the helmet. The Bold also come with larger speakers. However, the slim is nicely tucked away from getting hit by branches, if that is a concern.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iToddi View Post
I have a Cardo Slim, it works as well as a Bold. I highly recommend the Cardo product. The Sena is amazingly difficult to connect other riders to your group. The Cardo is very easy and reliable. However, I would likely buy a Bold if I was to do it over again. Reason is that it is interchangeable across the various helmets you many own. Just buy a second mounting bracket and speaker set. Also as the Slim hangs on the base of your helmet which prevents you from looking up to the same degree as you can without it mounted. The Slim is also something you have to navigate around when removing the helmet. The Bold also come with larger speakers. However, the slim is nicely tucked away from getting hit by branches, if that is a concern.
I went with the Bold for all the reasons you mentioned as well as ease of charging. The slim you have to attach the cord to the unit at the back of the helmet, so have to bring the entire helmet in. The bold you just snap off the unit and charge that. Not a big deal, but when charging a couple at a time from the same charging brick, it's a lot less room taken up.

Also, if you have to send it in for warranty replacement/repair it's less uninstall and reinstall than the Slim.

Minor stuff, for sure. But some differences

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page