Communication systems? music & nav - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Communication systems? music & nav

May take my AT on some long rides (some on highway) and want to connect my Samsung S8 (Android) phone to listen to music (from music I saved on the phone, or streamed live like Pandora/Sirius OR listen to Podcasts I had downloaded using another app AND use the Waze App for navigation. (So basically using 2 apps at same time.)

I was looking at various communication systems and its a bit overwhelming. I really do not need to communicate with other riders (but that feature may be useful if they have a compatible system - mesh?).

I was not sure I can run both Waze and music/podcasts on the phone and if the Nav App voice would override the music, etc.

Anyway, I read about the Sena 20s EVO and Cardo and some other lower cost units. Just wanted some thoughts.
I am not sure about a boom mic and a flip-up Scorpion helmet though....
I do want pretty decent sound but assume that may also depend on the helmet fit and windscreen, etc.

Thoughts?
Cuchulainn likes this.

2018 ATAS DCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
May take my AT on some long rides (some on highway) and want to connect my Samsung S8 (Android) phone to listen to music (from music I saved on the phone, or streamed live like Pandora/Sirius OR listen to Podcasts I had downloaded using another app AND use the Waze App for navigation. (So basically using 2 apps at same time.)

I was looking at various communication systems and its a bit overwhelming. I really do not need to communicate with other riders (but that feature may be useful if they have a compatible system - mesh?).

I was not sure I can run both Waze and music/podcasts on the phone and if the Nav App voice would override the music, etc.

Anyway, I read about the Sena 20s EVO and Cardo and some other lower cost units. Just wanted some thoughts.

I am not sure about a boom mic and a flip-up Scorpion helmet though....

I do want pretty decent sound but assume that may also depend on the helmet fit and windscreen, etc.

Thoughts?
My wife and I have had a number of the Sena units ranging from the SMH-10 through the 20S and 20S EVO.

Overall I really like the Sena units, but they are not waterproof and we have had some issues with water getting inside the unit, causing them to crackle and die. They do tend to work again after they have dried out, but in the meantime communications are down the rest of the ride. One exception to that rule was one SMH10 unit that finally have up the ghost, but we had it for many years and it had been wet, died and come back to life more times than I can remember.

We recently switched to the Cardo PackTalk Bolds after a wet spring and getting fed up with one unit or the other cutting out every time it rained. The mesh communications of the Cardo works brilliantly and the JBL speakers and sound profile of the Cardo delivers much better sound than the Sena. We usually listen to Spotify and it sounds great. Cardo is waterproof and so far we have had zero issues with even very heavy rain.

This guys video describes the issue with the 20s quite a bit, other than our would eventually just shut down.

And Ryan's video here gives a good comparison, though it may seem a bit odd if your not familiar with the show Letterkenny and "in on the joke"

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 AM

Garage
I have the Senia S10 and a Garmin 590lm, MOST of the time I just use my S10 and pair it with my iPhone and have no issues listening to music, making calls ( most ppl don’t even know/think I’m on my bike ). Now using both the GPS and the IPhone takes a bit of redoing because you have to connect the Senia & iPhone to the Garmin but when connected it does work, it will let you listen to any music app on your phone (just open that app on your phone) while listening it will mute/pause the song give directions then play agin. Tho I will admit here lately the Garmin has been giving me issues on making/receiving calls, they come up on the Garmin (with I.D. from your contact list). But when I answer I get nothing, I need to figure it out, something changed, it did work before. But just using the Senia & my iPhone (when my Garmin’s not on the bike), I have no issues doing anything, well I should rephrase that; Siri will give me some issues because the phone is “locked” she won’t read me my text message (hmmm, actually I’m not sure if she will anyway). But does really well at making calls from your contacts. I will add that incoming calls are kinda a pain cause there’s no caller I.D. But I just assigned ringtones to those ppl I wanna answer while riding and that lets me know who’s calling...

@ Cuchulainn; Strange I’ve ridden lots of times in the rain with both my old S10 and my new one and have had no issues with water. Lol even ridden in rain hail storms and no issues (luckily it was just “pea” size hail), and had one trip with a little over 300 miles of downpour (lol riding the same way the storm was traveling)..

@ desmo907; I would recommend buying a GPS and NOT relying on your phone. As for me,I ride a lot of remote areas that don’t have cell towers/service phone and nav is useless. Tho I will admit I’ve been in some heavily wooded areas that rendered the GPS useless too, but as soon as a “clearing” appears it reconnects and updates the map/location. But then I’m also old school and in remote areas I always carry my state atlas and a compass ( lol and know how to navigate by then both).
Cuchulainn likes this.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 08-12-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
So it sounds like a GPS unit separate from a cellphone works well together (GPS will talk over the cell phone - muting it)

I wonder if it works with multiple apps running on the Android phone.... that is, the nav would mute music or Podcast. I would think it would.

Curious about making calls.... its just all voice command and it overrides the music, as an example?

i wonder if I am gong to have trouble mounting the mic as I have a flip-up Scorpion helmet??

Thx.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
Thanks for the advice.
So it sounds like a GPS unit separate from a cellphone works well together (GPS will talk over the cell phone - muting it)

I wonder if it works with multiple apps running on the Android phone.... that is, the nav would mute music or Podcast. I would think it would.

Curious about making calls.... its just all voice command and it overrides the music, as an example?

i wonder if I am gong to have trouble mounting the mic as I have a flip-up Scorpion helmet??

Thx.
It does, if you're listen to a podcast and waze starts talking the podcast/music will pause for a moment, then resume when the GPS app is finished. I do this all the time with my phone.

18 AT AS
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.. I like what I read about the Cardo Slim and Free 4+ but emailed them to see if it works/fits my Scorpion AT950 (flip- up) helmet.

2018 ATAS DCT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
I have the Senia S10 and a Garmin 590lm, MOST of the time I just use my S10 and pair it with my iPhone and have no issues listening to music, making calls ( most ppl donít even know/think Iím on my bike ). Now using both the GPS and the IPhone takes a bit of redoing because you have to connect the Senia & iPhone to the Garmin but when connected it does work, it will let you listen to any music app on your phone (just open that app on your phone) while listening it will mute/pause the song give directions then play agin. Tho I will admit here lately the Garmin has been giving me issues on making/receiving calls, they come up on the Garmin (with I.D. from your contact list). But when I answer I get nothing, I need to figure it out, something changed, it did work before. But just using the Senia & my iPhone (when my Garminís not on the bike), I have no issues doing anything, well I should rephrase that; Siri will give me some issues because the phone is ďlockedĒ she wonít read me my text message (hmmm, actually Iím not sure if she will anyway). But does really well at making calls from your contacts. I will add that incoming calls are kinda a pain cause thereís no caller I.D. But I just assigned ringtones to those ppl I wanna answer while riding and that lets me know whoís calling...

@ Cuchulainn; Strange Iíve ridden lots of times in the rain with both my old S10 and my new one and have had no issues with water. Lol even ridden in rain hail storms and no issues (luckily it was just ďpeaĒ size hail), and had one trip with a little over 300 miles of downpour (lol riding the same way the storm was traveling)..

@ desmo907; I would recommend buying a GPS and NOT relying on your phone. As for me,I ride a lot of remote areas that donít have cell towers/service phone and nav is useless. Tho I will admit Iíve been in some heavily wooded areas that rendered the GPS useless too, but as soon as a ďclearingĒ appears it reconnects and updates the map/location. But then Iím also old school and in remote areas I always carry my state atlas and a compass ( lol and know how to navigate by then both).
The funny thing is that they seem to get progressively worse with each generation. The SMH-10 had less problem with rain than the 20s (also has a different mount), the 20s less a problem than the 20s Evo (same mount). With the exception of the 1 SMH, they have always started working again after they dry out. But sometimes that takes a day or two.

Sena never claims them to be waterproof and a lot of factors can go in to water ingress. Speed, length of exposure, windshield, fairing, etc. But part of the issue I believe, is Senas use of only a foam gasket. I believe the foam shrinks and perhaps stiffens over time. Maybe that's worse in dry environments like Colorado? I am not sure, but we have eventually had the issue with all of them.

That said, they all still get used on various helmets, including the surviving SMH-10's

More along the same lines....

https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/...rain-proof-?mo

... but usually they do come back to life

Edit: speaking of hail. It has been my experience that they hold up much better in hail than in rain. Hail tends to impact and bounce rather than penetrate. hurts like a mother when it hits you though hahaha

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 08-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
I have researched this one to death because I want to upgrade from my UClear headsets. Cardo for the win. The waterproof aspect is an important factor.

Search Youtube for:
SENA 30K vs. Cardo PACKTALK...Mesh Intercom Quality Test (Bold/Slim)
(I don't have enough posts to add URLs yet)
for a guy demonstrating its noise cancelling (wind especially) prowess.

Enjoying the good life
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I agree from what i read also. Cardo assures me the Bold will fit my Scorpion AT950 (flip- up) helmet (and the boom mic).

Amazon has great price!

Thx!
Cuchulainn likes this.

2018 ATAS DCT
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
The funny thing is that they seem to get progressively worse with each generation. The SMH-10 had less problem with rain than the 20s (also has a different mount), the 20s less a problem than the 20s Evo (same mount). With the exception of the 1 SMH, they have always started working again after they dry out. But sometimes that takes a day or two.

Sena never claims them to be waterproof and a lot of factors can go in to water ingress. Speed, length of exposure, windshield, fairing, etc. But part of the issue I believe, is Senas use of only a foam gasket. I believe the foam shrinks and perhaps stiffens over time. Maybe that's worse in dry environments like Colorado? I am not sure, but we have eventually had the issue with all of them.

That said, they all still get used on various helmets, including the surviving SMH-10's

More along the same lines....

https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/...rain-proof-?mo

... but usually they do come back to life

Edit: speaking of hail. It has been my experience that they hold up much better in hail than in rain. Hail tends to impact and bounce rather than penetrate. hurts like a mother when it hits you though hahaha

Yea going through the post on that link it seems to be hit or miss, no problems or nothing but problems - kinda sad we pay enough $$$$$ for them they should be waterproof period. Rain happens, it’s a fact; ride enough and you’ll get rained on. Well at least it looks like I lucked out both times with mine, but IF it ever does crap out on me I’m thinking I’ll go with someone else that IS rated as waterproof, probably shouldn’t press my luck a third time..

Hail yea! Hail hurts - but at least I lucked out I was on gravel roads so it wasn’t an issue, wouldn’t wanna be skating around on hail on tarmac I just mentioned hail cause that was implying the kinda drenching downpour I was riding in... I’m just happy it was JUST pea size and NOT golf ball size.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 08-12-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page