Remus exhaust ripped apart - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boro

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Remus exhaust ripped apart

Anyone had issues with a Remus (carbon) splitting? I mean it sounds amazing but im not sure its completly legal any more...

I've had it on for 15'000 km, just over 3 years so its out of warranty which is a shame.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZqmxK86J31orrCBT6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5666.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	49917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5665.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	49919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5663.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	49921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5664.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	49923  

:: Knoxy ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knox View Post
Anyone had issues with a Remus (carbon) splitting? I mean it sounds amazing but im not sure its completly legal any more...

I've had it on for 15'000 km, just over 3 years so its out of warranty which is a shame.

Not Remus, but I did have a Two Brothers carbon fiber that “popped”. My fault, I didn’t repack it, it lasted about as long as yours, took it off and apart and WAS going it fix it with a JB Weld patch on the inside and then repack it and I would of been good as new, but never got around to it.
They probably sell a repack Kit for yours, it usually comes with a drill (for drilling to old rivets out) and new rivets, along with the new packing materials....
Here’s my thoughts on fixing the hole, I was going to...
After I had it apart, I was going to wrap the outside with wax paper then tightly all the way around (on top of the wax paper) with duct tape. I would avoid using the tape directly on the can because, most likely you’ll damage the carbon fiber trying to get the tape off. Mix then fill the hole from the inside making sure to get enough into the hole and on to the more solid areas around it. You can’t just glob it in there because most repack’s will be kind of a tight fit to get back in. After the patch dried, do some lite sanding and smoothing inside avoiding sanding the carbon fiber as much as possible.
Then repack, reassemble, and ride.

A side note to all;
Anyone thinking of getting ANY carbon fiber exhaust - I’m pretty sure that ALL the manufacturers say to repack their carbon fiber cans after “x” hours of use. You will even see this on metal cams too, the difference being, fiber degradation that happens in ALL these kinds of cans, it just gives you a “hot spot” on a metal can. But in CF it will pretty much always blow a hole in it....

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 08-22-2019 at 05:12 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow AT_Dragon, yeah thats quite a challenge. I think I'll look for something else. My thoughts are to go with something more metal based.... I loved the sound from the remus but i'd be tempeted to try something else next time. I dont fancy changing it every three years... :-s

:: Knoxy ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 AM

I've seen so many carbon fiber exhaust failures over the years (first time I see one split in the middle like that, usually its the tip that pops out. There's something about the heat and vibration that the carbon fiber doesn't like.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
I've seen so many carbon fiber exhaust failures over the years (first time I see one split in the middle like that, usually its the tip that pops out. There's something about the heat and vibration that the carbon fiber doesn't like.
Its the manufacturers - They use very very low risen CF, I would say for heat dissipation reasons and too, making them even lighter. Drawback; weak matrix that doesnt take well to pressure and vibration

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:43 AM

You can easily do a home repair, pop down to the panel repair shop and get some Part 1 Base and Part 2 Hardener.
Quick mix and paint it on with a brush. It will need a few coats but comes up like new.
I did a few coats then rubbed it down again (600 then 1000) before the final coat.
This from someone who can spin a spanner but is completely cack handed with a paint brush.
Im_Too_Tired likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:57 AM

I had the same issue with an 8 month old Carbon Remus. You shouldn't use it like that as it will rip apart and be useless. Thanks god mine was under warranty and replaced it with the Remus Titanium. I too love the exhaust sound.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knox View Post

Dam shame that - I had this on a a previous bike when warranty ran out. I have just purchased a new Fuel ceramic end can and they come with a lifetime guarantee!

If your in the UK (sorry didn't see where you were from) then this counts as an MOT failure so not legal even if you repair. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page