Bash Plate/lower crashbar Recommendations? 2017 DCT - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Question Bash Plate/lower crashbar Recommendations? 2017 DCT

Hello Forum,

Getting ready to take off on a non MC trip; want to order a bash plate to have waiting upon my return to install on my new 2017 AT DCT.

Have been reading a little here. Is SW Motech the bash plate of choice? Anyone with experience with the Black Dog plate from the guys in Idaho? Others?

Will be putting some lower crash bars on, probably not upper. Any combination of lower crashbars and bash plates to love or hate?

Already ordered Barkbusters and the appropriate Kaoko throttle lock that works with them.

Sorry if I did not post this in the right forum.

Thanks much for any guidance!

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Personally, I'm a big fan of Altrider. When I buy protection for my ADV bikes I always check Altrider first. I do 50/50 and the altrider stuff has never let me down...

I hear SWMotech is also good. But again, I use Altrider.
Beowulf likes this.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Altrider for me too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170721_160803620_HDR.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	50201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170721_160831651_HDR.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	50203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170721_160849448_HDR.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	50205  
Beowulf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 AM

I have a 2017 AT DTC with the full Black Dog Cycle Works kit that I am really happy with. Overall it does a great job of protection! Love it. Last weekend it got a good work out - had the rear tire buried in an up hill rocky dirt trail a few times. BDCW stuff held up great. (Though I will say this bike is a heavy a$$ pig when you let it get stuck!)

I do suggest looking into upper bars too. The plastics are vulnerable IMO.

The BDCW Skid Plate is listed on their site, but the lower bars are not listed at the moment - I suggest giving them a call if you are interested...

I have BarkBusters on my DTC - they work fine, but I would not buy them again. Not full on hate - but not feeling the love either. The install is a weird PITA with the parking brake workaround. If I had it to do over - I would get the Highway Dirt Bike Ultimate Hand Guards with the Mirrors. The HDB bars are WAY more robust, especially with the "Big Bolt" option. I helped put a set on another bike recently - WOW! Totally bomb-proof! Also, the HDB would be cheaper than the BarkBusters with after market mirrors.
Beowulf likes this.

Must be an ID-Ten-T error!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Forgot to post pics of the BDCW bash plate after some use:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	50207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	50209  
Beowulf likes this.

Must be an ID-Ten-T error!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Oldtechdude, AdvArt and Root! I really appreciate the fast responses and pictures! Sounds like I should have waited on the Barkbusters, but guess I will make them work.

The BDCW plate and crash bar combo looks stout. Kind of leaning that way, so may give them a call later and see if they still sell the bars.

Will also check out Altrider.

Was a little resistant to upper bars for maintenance hassle factor, but still thinking about it.

Cheers,

B
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Hello Forum,

Getting ready to take off on a non MC trip; want to order a bash plate to have waiting upon my return to install on my new 2017 AT DCT.

Have been reading a little here. Is SW Motech the bash plate of choice? Anyone with experience with the Black Dog plate from the guys in Idaho? Others?

Will be putting some lower crash bars on, probably not upper. Any combination of lower crashbars and bash plates to love or hate?

Already ordered Barkbusters and the appropriate Kaoko throttle lock that works with them.

B
Outback Motortek bash plate and bars on my '16 AT have been tough as. Protects the engine and body work well and after a little sanding and paint they are back to new. I have tested gravity a few times off road and bashed over tons of stuff and they haven't skipped a beat. I highly recommend them. See the pic included that shows the damage from a 60kph get off on a logging road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.50.07 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	50217  
Cuchulainn, noivson and Beowulf like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAT View Post
Outback Motortek bash plate and bars on my '16 AT have been tough as. Protects the engine and body work well and after a little sanding and paint they are back to new. I have tested gravity a few times off road and bashed over tons of stuff and they haven't skipped a beat. I highly recommend them. See the pic included that shows the damage from a 60kph get off on a logging road.
Is all your upper plastic fine without the upper bars? I really like the idea of no uppers for maintenance reasons. That bash plate looks great the way it covers the exhaust.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Hello Forum,

B
If you go big on the bash plate you don't need lower bars, the weight is lower and will typically be less than adding more bars anyway. Make sure the bash plate provides protection for the side cases. Get a set of lightweight upper bars to cover the radiators, Chrome Moly is the steel of choice its lighter and stronger than mild steel that most bars are made from. Make sure you also get a Camel peg brace for the right side on a 2017 model.
Big bash plate lightweight upper bars.
terry.boyle likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Got a recommendation on saleq large Bash plate? Less weight sounds good if it will protect lower cases.

Cheers,

B

2017 AT DCT
Greater Phoenix AZ area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page