Me and Honda bolts dislike each other... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AT-Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 488
Garage
Me and Honda bolts dislike each other...

Ok I’m partly to blame, well actually my job is because I spend a lot of my day pushing and pulling a fairly heavy part of a machine in and out. 40+ years of this and my sense of how hard I’m pulling is a bit off wack. So it’s not at all uncommon for me to snap bolts. So that said I kinda over torqued the two front upper bolts on the skid plate on my ATAS. So of course all that happened when I went to take them off is the bolt stayed and the hex wrench turned. OK. Fine, not the fist time for me and hex bolts, so (quite) a few beatings of a hammer and chisel later I broke the bolts free..
So here’s my thought on a fix for me and I’ll post when (or if) I do it.. I’d Like to just screw in small posts with holes in them and use either cotter pins or cotter hair pens through them to hold/ of course I’d have to use a spring washer too. I’m thinking of at least doing this on the two upper front bolts..
At least I can’t over tighten them and have the same issue again...

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-24-2019 at 09:35 PM.
AT-Dragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
superfunkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 802
Interesting. Won't you get movement and rattle from the skid plate with that type of fastener?

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

superfunkomatic is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
I've had a history of breaking bolts as well. I just use a torque wrench now. That skid plate is going to rattle like crazy.

Everytime I put anything on the bike, I knock it a bit with my fist or a rubber mallet and listen for rattles (they drive me absolutely nuts).

I'd mount it in a sturdy way, use a torque wrench.... You can also add some dense rubber to go in between the frame and plate... This will eliminate chance for rattles, but also give you compression when you snug the bolts. I'd also worry about damage to the frame and to the remaining fasteners. I personally would not do what you're suggesting.
Amphib is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AT-Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 488
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Interesting. Won't you get movement and rattle from the skid plate with that type of fastener?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
I've had a history of breaking bolts as well. I just use a torque wrench now. That skid plate is going to rattle like crazy.

Everytime I put anything on the bike, I knock it a bit with my fist or a rubber mallet and listen for rattles (they drive me absolutely nuts).

I'd mount it in a sturdy way, use a torque wrench.... You can also add some dense rubber to go in between the frame and plate... This will eliminate chance for rattles, but also give you compression when you snug the bolts. I'd also worry about damage to the frame and to the remaining fasteners. I personally would not do what you're suggesting.
I agree it would rattle with just a pin and cottor pin, but I had in mind a flat washer + spring washer + flat washer held in by the cottor pin. Not modding any of the base parts I was going to make my own pins that will use the existing nuts. Im positive I can make it secure and NOT rattle, but my concern is doing it all without it sticking to far out and too finding a spring washer that I can press down with my hands enough to get the pin in the hole and yet be springy enough to hold everything tight. But for now I found some higher tensile bolts with a much larger (then the current 5mm) hex head. I just got them today so I havent tried them out yet so well see how that goes. I just thought itd be kinda cool to have as a quick access pan. The setup from Honda is not that swift its kinda like take the rear fender off, loosen the right turn signal, remove the seat, open the gas cap, remove the left handgrip, lean the bike at a 23deg. angle, take two links out of the drive chain, then turn each of the TWO drain plugs only 1/4 turn at a time with the bike facing directly north, on a Tuesday to drain the oil. They (Honda) did not make maintenance on this bike easy
superfunkomatic likes this.

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
AT-Dragon is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Amphib is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AT-Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 488
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Well all I can say to that is:
A7332^@I3(8866#[email protected]%@O9#8*7WBE^65#5#777^[email protected]^@==^%]665}}[!sun and maybe ]8/66)2w09ieme

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
AT-Dragon is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Considering how compact the AT is, I don't think it's that bad, it sure could be better, but I get the built to a price thing. I'm getting better as I get older not to manhandle stuff and to be more methodical. Investing in better/more tools has helped..... (I'm the guy at one time you might see cursing and throwing wrenches across the yard).

Its hard though, it seems no matter how careful I am, I strip something, break something, scratch something. Fortunately I've not yet done that to the AT. Fingers crossed when I tear her down this winter for the valve service.

Good call on using higher grade bolts. I take my AT where I shouldn't and have first hand experience with how much abuse the skid plate can encounter.

This is stumbling on a "road" that wasn't on my map and in hindsight, should not have attempted it. About 4 hours later it dead ended and we had to turn around.... Several rock slides and deep ass washouts. The AT performed flawlessly but severely banged up the skid plate......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_141413_1569672975376.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	50537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_204128_1569673009548.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	50539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG950922_1569673040931.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	50541   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_141430_1569673114811.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	50543   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_180246_1569673153460.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	50545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_141345_1569673193740.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	50547  
Amphib is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AT-Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 488
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
Considering how compact the AT is, I don't think it's that bad, it sure could be better, but I get the built to a price thing. I'm getting better as I get older not to manhandle stuff and to be more methodical. Investing in better/more tools has helped..... (I'm the guy at one time you might see cursing and throwing wrenches across the yard).

Its hard though, it seems no matter how careful I am, I strip something, break something, scratch something. Fortunately I've not yet done that to the AT. Fingers crossed when I tear her down this winter for the valve service.

Good call on using higher grade bolts. I take my AT where I shouldn't and have first hand experience with how much abuse the skid plate can encounter.

This is stumbling on a "road" that wasn't on my map and in hindsight, should not have attempted it. About 4 hours later it dead ended and we had to turn around.... Several rock slides and deep ass washouts. The AT performed flawlessly but severely banged up the skid plate......
I hear ya, I don’t throw wrenches anymore simply because I’m to lazy to go get/find them, I am fond of throwing curse words tho..

What good is it having a skid plate if it’s not used..

In hindsight - sounds like a good adventure to me; some place unknown, some place you never been, some place now seen, some place you’ve returned from. It wouldn’t be and adventure without a the adventure part in it

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-28-2019 at 10:50 AM.
AT-Dragon is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
I like the way you think. 😏
AT-Dragon likes this.
Amphib is online now  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AT-Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 488
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
I like the way you think. 😏
Thanks..

BTW liked the pics, you know for sure it’s was a good adventure, when every time you show those pictures you start with “Man, what a F’n trip, I hope I never do that again” what a boring world we would be in IF we as humans didn’t get ourselves into predicaments like that as long as all returned with all their fingers and toes intact, job well done, if not, hey better luck next time (key words)....

Also, I might add, WOW!!! I’m impressed! I had NO idea that BMW had any kinda motorcycle that could swim ALL ON ITS OWN! WOW! OK it doesn’t look like the little fellow is doing to good on his own. But you gotta give him a ‘A’ for his effort...
Or was I wrong and that’s a crime scene photo where some one was “trying to dispose of the body”

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-28-2019 at 01:46 PM.
AT-Dragon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome