Engine Guard suggestion Poll 2017 AT std - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Help me decide between these two or Got a guard to sell?
GIVI 4 57.14%
Touratech 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Engine Guard suggestion Poll 2017 AT std

Just a simple Poll to help me decide, or discover hidden faults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 PM

Neither, B&B Offroad, the Dakar version and Outback Motortek for Mids and Uppers.

Cheers!

*sorry if the pics are upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_155617.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	51271   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_155550.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	51273  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmumbral View Post
Neither, B&B Offroad, the Dakar version and Outback Motortek for Mids and Uppers.

Cheers!

*sorry if the pics are upside down.
Do you have to buy direct from Australia? How much was shipping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM

I bought a used 2017 DCT that came with a set of Outback Motortek engine guards. Although extremely tough, they could have been thought out a little better.

By that I mean there's not a lot of room to get the dipstick out to check the oil, and the oil filler is inaccessible unless you have a funnel with a flexible tube.

The one other thing I don't like is the bars are in the way of the battery box. I haven't had the battery out yet, but am dreading doing so if in fact I have to remove the engine guards to do it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove the one side for sure to pull the battery.

I do like the look of them though. They're a very sturdy, thick crash bar. The previous owner was a little short guy, and dropped the bike numerous times as he was always tippy toed when stopped. Just some paint scratched off the guards, but that's it. Both sides are still completely symmetrical.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 PM

I had the Altrider lower crashbars on my 2017, and just ordered another set for my 2019. Simple, rugged system and its subtle while protecting the vital parts of the engine.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emway View Post
I bought a used 2017 DCT that came with a set of Outback Motortek engine guards. Although extremely tough, they could have been thought out a little better.

By that I mean there's not a lot of room to get the dipstick out to check the oil, and the oil filler is inaccessible unless you have a funnel with a flexible tube.

The one other thing I don't like is the bars are in the way of the battery box. I haven't had the battery out yet, but am dreading doing so if in fact I have to remove the engine guards to do it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove the one side for sure to pull the battery.

I do like the look of them though. They're a very sturdy, thick crash bar. The previous owner was a little short guy, and dropped the bike numerous times as he was always tippy toed when stopped. Just some paint scratched off the guards, but that's it. Both sides are still completely symmetrical.
I don't have any problem pulling the battery cover off with the Outback Motertek guards.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
I don't have any problem pulling the battery cover off with the Outback Motertek guards.
Me either. I haven't had any issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I've had the cover off too, but it looked like there might not be enough room to actually get the battery out of the box with the guard in place.

Have you removed the battery?

Thanks
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:10 AM

Altrider lower engine guards. Complete PITA to install, but worth it. They are very beefy and sturdy. I highly recommend this video over the useless instructions that came with it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75649382_10157309852553876_7695517625522061312_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	51419   Click image for larger version

Name:	79277335_10157309852668876_7116952708610785280_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	51421  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emway View Post
Quote:
I've had the cover off too, but it looked like there might not be enough room to actually get the battery out of the box with the guard in place.

Have you removed the battery?

Thanks

I have these bars. They have a deliberate bend there and the battery has no problem clearing it.

I'll add I've been really happy with these, combined with barkbuster storms, b and b safari bash plate. There's been zero damage to the bike with several drops and a 35mph...front wheel slide into a muddy gully then into the ditch. The bars have not bent at all... Just a bit of rash.

Edit, I'm an idiot and read the post wrong. I have the sw motech bars... No interference with battery removal. I apologize for misreading the post.

Last edited by Amphib; 12-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page